Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317765 times)

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.06] Fortress Defense Mod II R v17: Infection of the Warwolf Curse!
« Reply #930 on: April 10, 2016, 12:01:03 pm »

So it's possible to get permanent residents from FD races? Because I have a White Tigerman in my army. This is so cool.

Yep. Gotta catch 'em all!

I've heard you should also be able to build them armor by changing the size of armor when you order it at the forge. I haven't tested that part yet though ;)

Yup. You can totally armor them. You can armor them to the teeth like your dwarf. I've always felt bad sending my dwarfs to certain death, but I don't feel as bad with these mercs. They can train outside the fort and act as bait for all I care. Naga's venom is pretty cool when it works. I really like them. I so love the tavern feature of DF. I'm not at war with the war elephants, though they've ambushed me, but I've never had a war elephant visitor. They can clearly wear armor. I would love to get one for my army and see how much steel armor I can put on them. Lol.

edit:
Apparently Nagas are small and can only wear 1 boot on the account of having a tail and no feet.

White tigerman can wear the same thing as dwarfs in large. However they can only wear things made for white tigerman and not human, even though it's both large. I'm assuming a maul would be better for them than war hammer since they're large, though I haven't gotten a silver/steel one yet. The next war elephant attack should bring some. These guys also have a tail, though I don't know what you would cover that with.

p.s. I have modest mod, so no socks mittens or other things. I also didn't go for maxed coverage, they just putting gear on in the wrong order and complain about mixmatched equip.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:54:29 pm by dead »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 11, 2016, 02:20:31 pm »

Tails should be covered by mail shirt, if not you can try to look for tigerman size full plate that tigerman invaders/visitors may wear.

Tigermen are size 90k or so which means they are larger than humans.

I think war hammers will be fine. Mauls will also do ok as long as they can still use shields with them.

Mismatched equips can also happen if you make a new awesome piece of armor and your soldier wants it.

Fortress Defence races love to fight so don't be shy abput putting them on front lines ;) Watch out for honeybadgerman mercs though because they will sometimes try to kill each other.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »

Let us know if you ever work out trunk armour!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 13, 2016, 09:31:55 am »

Technically it's not really possible because invader races will never ever armor their grasping limbs. That said, the full plate that war elephants wear covers EVERYTHING that is not specifically excluded by another piece of armor.

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 14, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »

Tails should be covered by mail shirt, if not you can try to look for tigerman size full plate that tigerman invaders/visitors may wear.

Tigermen are size 90k or so which means they are larger than humans.

I think war hammers will be fine. Mauls will also do ok as long as they can still use shields with them.

Mismatched equips can also happen if you make a new awesome piece of armor and your soldier wants it.

Fortress Defence races love to fight so don't be shy abput putting them on front lines ;) Watch out for honeybadgerman mercs though because they will sometimes try to kill each other.

I wasn't lucky enough to get badgermen in my embark. I didn't want to keep generating worlds and I just wanted to fight giants and elephants. The only mercs I've seen to be getting are tigermen and nagas, beside the vanilla ones of course. I am loving the nagas mercs more than tigermen though. One of my naga spearwoman racked up 28 kills during a ferric elves ambush, there were 150 elves and war beasts, it was nuts. She was biting things, injecting venom, they give in to pain and she stab them in the head. Lost a couple soldiers and a bunch of wounded, but the tavern is filled with mercs looking for a glorious death in battle. Most fun I've had with DF since Masterwork mod stopped updating.   

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12:28 pm »

Nice to see the Nagas pulling their weight. I find it very hard to catch them in action myself to ensure their poison is effective. Merc availability does vary wildly, regretfully, like siege enemy availability. Good to see large sieges are still a feature!

Most fun I've had with DF since Masterwork mod stopped updating.   

I find this to be high praise. Comments like this inspire me to continue maintaining the Fortress Defense Mod.

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 16, 2016, 11:22:06 am »

So I discovered a HUGE mistake in hiring HOSTILE mercs. All of the Fortress Defense races are consider hostiles. Eventually a thief, an ambush or a siege from that merc's civ is going to come knocking on your doors. Well, a white tigermen army siege me. I have 9 hammerlord tigermen in full steel training in the courtyard. Take a wild guess what happened. Lol. Note to self, do not let the mercs out numbered your dwarven soldiers. Also, don't give them the best gear you have, maybe just leather so they don't murder everyone when they turn. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:37 pm »

So I discovered a HUGE mistake in hiring HOSTILE mercs. All of the Fortress Defense races are consider hostiles. Eventually a thief, an ambush or a siege from that merc's civ is going to come knocking on your doors. Well, a white tigermen army siege me. I have 9 hammerlord tigermen in full steel training in the courtyard. Take a wild guess what happened. Lol. Note to self, do not let the mercs out numbered your dwarven soldiers. Also, don't give them the best gear you have, maybe just leather so they don't murder everyone when they turn. Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

You can actually guarantee loyalty by checking the allegiances of your soldiers. For example, I've had White Tigerman mercs from one civ fight other White Tigermen because the designated attackers were from a different Tigerman Civ. As long as you can check the mercs are from a different civ from the ones known to be hostile, hiring them SHOULD be safe.

Did you survive the !!!FUN!!!?

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 16, 2016, 06:12:29 pm »

You can actually guarantee loyalty by checking the allegiances of your soldiers. For example, I've had White Tigerman mercs from one civ fight other White Tigermen because the designated attackers were from a different Tigerman Civ. As long as you can check the mercs are from a different civ from the ones known to be hostile, hiring them SHOULD be safe.

Did you survive the !!!FUN!!!?

How do I check the allegiances before hiring them? How do I check the allegiances after hiring them? Lol. The Tigerman mercs weren't the only ones who turned. The ones partying in the tavern, praying in the temple and reading in the library also turned. There were a ton of visitors. Lol. My poor Medical Chief was pondering on bandages when he took a maul to the face. My main dwarven axelords squad were outside fighting the siege with marksdwarf support. Many of the naga mercs were recuperating from the last engagement. By the time the siege broke and the axelords came back to help, half of my civs and all of my recruits got their faces smashed in.

So I decided to generate a new world with more people to fight. And this time make better choices. Lol. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 16, 2016, 06:22:30 pm »

If you've been invaded by or encountered thieves from a hostile tigerman civ, you'll have them listed in the 'c' screen. Remember their name.

If you hire tigermen mercs, you'll see they have their own former civ(s) listed as well.
If the two names are different, they won't cause hostilities to renew when the hostile tigermen send their siege. Tigerman mercs stolen away from the tigerman civ and raised by another civ should hold to that civ's diplomatic relations rather than those of the tigerman civ they were taken from. On the other hand, if they are from a hostile civ...

Because of this, you may want to be careful about what visitors in your fort are allowed to do. There isn't necessarily a way of knowing whether a merc you hire will eventually turn hostile if his civ has not yet interacted with your fort.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:37 am »

Man the hellfire imps are a nightmare to try and fight fair. Fighting them near anything flammable seems like a death sentence not that fireproof surroundings are much better.

I thought that a drowning trap would be the perfect counter but the little sh*ts are happy as dolphins in the water so looks like the best way to kill them is with trap stabbification or a high speed collision with the ground.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2016, 11:27:27 pm »

Man the hellfire imps are a nightmare to try and fight fair. Fighting them near anything flammable seems like a death sentence not that fireproof surroundings are much better.

I thought that a drowning trap would be the perfect counter but the little sh*ts are happy as dolphins in the water so looks like the best way to kill them is with trap stabbification or a high speed collision with the ground.

Hellfire imps naturally dwell in magma, so they don't need to breathe. On the other hand, shields are good defenses against fire attacks, assuming the landscape is stone or otherwise fire-resistant

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 19, 2016, 04:51:56 am »

Which is okay, but for some reason in my last two fortress Hellfire Imps have been the first race to attack (about year 2). My warriors are usually only low legendary and sub legendary shield user by then so there's not much hope against the imps except trapping them and dropping them to their deaths. I'm guessing they're probably attacking earlier than they should be.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 19, 2016, 07:56:57 am »

Which is okay, but for some reason in my last two fortress Hellfire Imps have been the first race to attack (about year 2). My warriors are usually only low legendary and sub legendary shield user by then so there's not much hope against the imps except trapping them and dropping them to their deaths. I'm guessing they're probably attacking earlier than they should be.

They are attacking first due to distance.

In my experience, year two is enough to deal with hellfire imps assuming you embark with two or three military who train since year one. It helps to concentrate on full armor coverage. Losing dwarves may occur but enough dwarves should overcome them.

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 20, 2016, 05:16:00 pm »

I've found that Hellfire Imps are easily scared off with marksdwarfs from behind fortifications. I've been attacked twice, once a siege with 10-20 imps riding war elephants and an ambush with like teens solo imps. Both times my marksdwarfs managed to kill no more than 3-4 before they start running off. Apparently, they explode when they die, so melee combat will probably result in burnt beards. They don't seem to be attacking in obscene numbers like the weaker races, but holy cow those fire are destructive. I'm so glad I didn't built 1-z level below the surface, there are so many collapsed trees and holes everywhere. I wish I had embarked in a wasteland or barren, these trees are dangerous.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 80