Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317817 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.42.06] Fortress Defense Mod II R v17: Infection of the Warwolf Curse!
« Reply #915 on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:27 pm »

Query for your Mr. Dark :)  Can you tell me what 'reaction_fdmetals' is used for?  I'm working on compiling my favorite mods into a single pack, and I can't figure what this actually does relative to the rest of Fortress Defense.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 28, 2016, 05:55:58 am »

Query for your Mr. Dark :)  Can you tell me what 'reaction_fdmetals' is used for?  I'm working on compiling my favorite mods into a single pack, and I can't figure what this actually does relative to the rest of Fortress Defense.

It's used to force civs to have access to certain metals and only those metals. Many fortress defense civs cannot mine, to prevent them from using jank like copper and silver, and use the reaction_fdmetals reactions to tell them what metal they should exclusively use (Iron, bronze, steel, etc)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 28, 2016, 08:33:41 pm »

It's used to force civs to have access to certain metals and only those metals. Many fortress defense civs cannot mine, to prevent them from using jank like copper and silver, and use the reaction_fdmetals reactions to tell them what metal they should exclusively use (Iron, bronze, steel, etc)
That makes sense.  Permitted Reaction: Reaction name.  So if that line were removed, would the race choose from all metals?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 28, 2016, 08:39:59 pm »

That makes sense.  Permitted Reaction: Reaction name.  So if that line were removed, would the race choose from all metals?

No. The race needs to have pick access to choose from naturally occurring metals (many Fortress Defense civs cannot use picks), and it also needs the reactions that produces each alloy (like pewter, bronze, or steel) to have access to those as well.

A race can have pick access without any alloy reactions, and can have access to alloy metals even without a pick that allows it to mine for ore.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 28, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »

Ahh.  That explains why you need a custom reaction for normal metals- no pick, no vanilla metal.  Also I guess why said reaction uses Soap Making :P  B/c ultimately the skill doesn't matter.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 28, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »

Ahh.  That explains why you need a custom reaction for normal metals- no pick, no vanilla metal.  Also I guess why said reaction uses Soap Making :P  B/c ultimately the skill doesn't matter.

Exactly ;)

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2016, 11:55:56 pm »

So I have a Naga knife-fighter(?!?!) in my current fort, the first fortress defense race visitor to request long term residence. She is training with her morningstar (I have no knives) and otherwise drinking, sleeping, and training normally but she did have one odd interaction with an animal.

She was passing a guinea cock on the stairs and I got a combat report. It was one line for the Naga and the bird; both reported the Naga had spurred the cock. And yes I know that sounds wrong, but what you gonna do? I remember you mentioned the FD races could spur their animals to make them better in combat, could long term residents be doing this to fortress animals too? If so, I suddenly have an amazing new use for all these tame kangaroos...   

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24:36 am »

So I have a Naga knife-fighter(?!?!) in my current fort, the first fortress defense race visitor to request long term residence. She is training with her morningstar (I have no knives) and otherwise drinking, sleeping, and training normally but she did have one odd interaction with an animal.

She was passing a guinea cock on the stairs and I got a combat report. It was one line for the Naga and the bird; both reported the Naga had spurred the cock. And yes I know that sounds wrong, but what you gonna do? I remember you mentioned the FD races could spur their animals to make them better in combat, could long term residents be doing this to fortress animals too? If so, I suddenly have an amazing new use for all these tame kangaroos...

The way the interaction is coded, friendly members of FD races should be able to use it as well. Sounding wrong is a bonus  ;D

I'm actually curious to see whether this is weaponizable.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 12:26:49 am by darkflagrance »

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 30, 2016, 10:46:40 am »

I will test the crap out of this with all these male llamas and kangaroos I have cluttering up the place. To save some time though, what triggers it and is it permanent? The one I wrote about above didn't seem connected to combat or anything like that, it took place in the middle of a secure area without any hostiles on the map.

Also, if this works, pity my poor male llamas. They literally are forced to spend their entire lives in a cave, and then one day the Dwarves chop their balls off, shave them naked, and send them charging into a horde of weapon wielding horrors from your deepest nightmares...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 30, 2016, 10:53:12 am »

I will test the crap out of this with all these male llamas and kangaroos I have cluttering up the place. To save some time though, what triggers it and is it permanent? The one I wrote about above didn't seem connected to combat or anything like that, it took place in the middle of a secure area without any hostiles on the map.

Also, if this works, pity my poor male llamas. They literally are forced to spend their entire lives in a cave, and then one day the Dwarves chop their balls off, shave them naked, and send them charging into a horde of weapon wielding horrors from your deepest nightmares...

The FD races should have a random chance to use the interaction upon seeing in close proximity a creature that has not been affected by it. It should thereafter be permanent ;)

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 08, 2016, 07:27:11 pm »

So I'm kinda diggin the whole Putrid Blendac thing Fortress Defense has going on. I just got my first siege of them, and it was both small and arrived much later in my fortress's life than was really wise from the Blendac point of view. So the forty or so of them got to meet Urist Mc Headcrush and his nine macelord buddies, all wielding morning stars they literally pulled from the still cooling hands of their slain foes.  I figure its some kind of rite of manhood among macedwarves or something. Anyhow several Blendacs spent most of the fight cowering in horror as their friends got worked over, and none of them made it off the map. Then all my macedwarves were given a break from training in celebration and seven of the squad decided to go dancing.

This gave me an idea. I think my tavern needs decorated with some nice masterwork cassiterite statues of dwarves striking down Blendacs. And cassiterite doesn't even occur on my map, so you know where I'm getting it from. Its really the little things that count.

Also, still working on testing the spurring thing. Lost the last fort, getting very few visitors at this one. Soon as I have findings about how well it works with FD races as residents and citizens I will post here.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 09, 2016, 10:36:08 am »

Yep, the cassiterite is there for the specific purpose of being exploited. Actually I am surprised you can work it; I thought the dwarves would refuse to touch it.

I do find it interesting that the blendecs appear to cower in fear. I will have to recheck their NOFEAR tags. Also, enjoy the morningstar loot! Long swords and whips are also worth stealing.

Keep me posted on the spurring experiments.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 09, 2016, 11:06:38 am »

To be specific they, according to the combat log, were horrified at all the death going on around them. I don't know if that's exactly the same as fear in game terms. I also couldn't tell if they were trying to flee or fought to the last man, once contact was made there was so much vaporstone mist exploding everywhere that was all that was visible.

Also, you are correct that the cassiterite is not usable. It does not show as a valid material for carving or smelting, even after I enabled it as a viable stone for masonry.

Another curious behavior I just experienced, a Ferric Elf mega-ambush where all but one group of ambushes were nothing but named animals. It was a combination of a crap load of leopards, a few grizzly bears, and one entire ambush group made of nothing but horses. They all died. I'm making all the leopard leather into pants.   

dead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 09, 2016, 07:45:58 pm »

So it's possible to get permanent residents from FD races? Because I have a White Tigerman in my army. This is so cool.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 09, 2016, 11:30:44 pm »

So it's possible to get permanent residents from FD races? Because I have a White Tigerman in my army. This is so cool.

Yep. Gotta catch 'em all!

I've heard you should also be able to build them armor by changing the size of armor when you order it at the forge. I haven't tested that part yet though ;)

To be specific they, according to the combat log, were horrified at all the death going on around them. I don't know if that's exactly the same as fear in game terms. I also couldn't tell if they were trying to flee or fought to the last man, once contact was made there was so much vaporstone mist exploding everywhere that was all that was visible.

Also, you are correct that the cassiterite is not usable. It does not show as a valid material for carving or smelting, even after I enabled it as a viable stone for masonry.

Another curious behavior I just experienced, a Ferric Elf mega-ambush where all but one group of ambushes were nothing but named animals. It was a combination of a crap load of leopards, a few grizzly bears, and one entire ambush group made of nothing but horses. They all died. I'm making all the leopard leather into pants.   

I think it's normal for speech capable units to be horrified by death even if it does not cause them to flee. As long as they aren't actually breaking it should be alright.

The cassiterite was usable in past versions of the mod. Right now functionality is broken because dwarves refuse to use things that came from the corpses of sentient beings, even if what came from the corpse was a resource stone. Hopefully it will be fixed when Toady gets rid of that bug.

The ferric elves should have access to the same animals as normal elves, so that they are bringing wild animal squads does not surprise me. I hope they're good eating as well as good wearing ;)

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 80