Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317749 times)

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18] Fortress Defense Mod II v4: Enemies May Evaporate Upon Death
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:40 am »

Im crashing alot, this is the only mod I have. Is anyone else crashing or is it just this release?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2010, 07:21:20 am »

I don't think this mod causes unusual crashes. Maybe you're triggering one of the crash bugs listed on the bug tracker?

Edit: What the the circumstances during which your game crashes?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:24:11 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2010, 07:22:34 am »

I don't think this mod causes unusual crashes. Maybe you're triggering one of the crash bugs listed on the bug tracker?

I honestly dont know what causes it, just pops up and says "Dwarf Fortress has stopped working", ill go check the tracker real fast.

Shadowstar009

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:12 pm »

Love this mod!  Sieges actually feel like a real threat now rather than just some live targets for my military to go beat up.  The only problem I've been having so far though is that the flying races (furies and nightwings) can't seem to figure out how to get to my gate.  So instead, they stay near the edges of the map just hanging around and occasionally attacking goblins or caravans that enter the map near them.  My fort is on the side of a pretty steep hill with a lake on one side, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of weird pathing problem.  Can they normally find their way around on flatter maps?

Also, I can confirm that Nightwings don't bleed and are extremely hard to kill as a result.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:28 am »

Great Mod, first time through ended up having Tigermen and War Elephants team up to take my fort down, second time I got luckier, didn't fight many strong enemies until I could get my defenses going, ended up abandoning cause while my fort was holding up ok I didn't think it would be able to take on the stronger enemies.

Gonna have to plan out a good defensive structure.

Question; if you modify the game so that sieges come earlier, will that affect this mod as well? Just curious, I'd like to see how few dwarves I can limit myself to and still survive but if you have to have fifty to eighty to get any serious monsters it may not work out.

-MB
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:02:10 am by Mickey Blue »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2010, 01:03:21 pm »

Great Mod, first time through ended up having Tigermen and War Elephants team up to take my fort down, second time I got luckier, didn't fight many strong enemies until I could get my defenses going, ended up abandoning cause while my fort was holding up ok I didn't think it would be able to take on the stronger enemies.

Gonna have to plan out a good defensive structure.

Question; if you modify the game so that sieges come earlier, will that affect this mod as well? Just curious, I'd like to see how few dwarves I can limit myself to and still survive but if you have to have fifty to eighty to get any serious monsters it may not work out.

-MB

You can only mod civs to come earlier by changing each individual civ's entry. Here's how, if you don't mind a little raws editing:

In the Fortress Defense entity file in the raws, which lists all of the civs in Fortress Defense, where under each civ's entry it says PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:(a number), change (a number) to 2 to ensure that enemies start coming at 50 dwarves. The minimum population before enemy civs attack you is 20 dwarves, which corresponds to PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1

Love this mod!  Sieges actually feel like a real threat now rather than just some live targets for my military to go beat up.  The only problem I've been having so far though is that the flying races (furies and nightwings) can't seem to figure out how to get to my gate.  So instead, they stay near the edges of the map just hanging around and occasionally attacking goblins or caravans that enter the map near them.  My fort is on the side of a pretty steep hill with a lake on one side, so I'm wondering if it's some sort of weird pathing problem.  Can they normally find their way around on flatter maps?

Also, I can confirm that Nightwings don't bleed and are extremely hard to kill as a result.

Nightwings are supposed to be a challenge; that is why they are among the last enemies to arrive in Basic. ;D

Flying enemies occasionally experience pathing issues that prevent them from pathing to your meeting areas because they cannot path through the air if they spawn in the air. This is the same reason why DF dragons don't fly either. I didn't consider the downside severe enough to disqualify the addition of flying enemies completely, but I made sure the flying civs only sieged, so that hidden stuck flying ambushes don't occur.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 01:10:17 pm by darkflagrance »

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2010, 01:30:57 pm »

I just had 4 sieges come in sucession.
First there were 3 squads of Nagas.
Then there were some Frogmen
And then the Nightwings came.

After the nightwings were some stranglers  ::)

But I still havn't seen any elephants, werewolves, or imps  :(

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2010, 02:20:17 pm »

Thanks for the info!

-MB

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2010, 01:39:30 pm »

I just had 4 sieges come in sucession.
First there were 3 squads of Nagas.
Then there were some Frogmen
And then the Nightwings came.

After the nightwings were some stranglers  ::)

But I still havn't seen any elephants, werewolves, or imps  :(

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that the civs of Fortress Defense will attack in the order given in the OP (this has been hypothesized to depend on distance to your fort, population of enemy civs, and whether or not the civ has access to your fort in the first place), only that they will only attack when your fortress fulfills the necessary population and production criteria.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2010, 08:05:13 pm »

ya for instance I once got sieged by 5 squads of riding tiger-men on the second year, I embarked right beside their towns.  So it's definitely by distance.  Didn't have much population or wealth either.
Nom nom nom

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2010, 11:53:30 am »

Frag, may I suggest moving all the creatures of size 50k-60k all to 70k so there's no invaders spawning with dwarf-sized armors?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2010, 01:02:07 pm »

Frag, may I suggest moving all the creatures of size 50k-60k all to 70k so there's no invaders spawning with dwarf-sized armors?

May I inquire as to the reasoning as to why you believe such a change would be beneficial?

From what I can determine, the overall effect of implementing this change is overall increased difficulty, through the removing of certain strategies and the increased toughness and power of enemies.

On one hand, the obvious problem with enemies the same size as dwarves is that after killing them, dwarves can use the armor they just dropped. On the other hand, the mod is already difficult due to the volume of sieges; a player caught off guard might welcome the influx of usable armor, and the presence of usable armor creates an interesting strategy for the player: to somehow kill the initial sieges of creatures with dwarf-size armor without combat, and then use their (probably sub-par) armor to fight off later sieges. This change would eliminate this strategy for better or for worse, and at the same time make the sieges harder due to the slightly larger enemies.

In addition, dwarves can only wear armor for creatures whose main size is size 60k; smaller dwarves should not be able to wear the armor of smaller creatures as far as I can tell from my modding experience and reading on the forum, meaning that there should be no need to change the size of smaller creatures based on the concern I raise above.

If people do agree that this change would be better for the mod, I will implement it.

Edit: Since the changes you described were trivial, I made a version of the mod with the changes you described in about 5 minutes.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3601
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:13:16 pm by darkflagrance »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2010, 01:32:27 pm »

From what I can determine, the overall effect of implementing this change is overall increased difficulty, through the removing of certain strategies and the increased toughness and power of enemies.

Half way there.

The other half being: Due to reasons I'd explain below, this change will help me from having to include a bastardized version of your mod in mine and still continue to be able to support yours. Now, to the technicalities: Due to bug #3838 creatures will not spawn with full armor as intended. Right now Jotuns only arrive with breastplate, shield, helm and a weapon. My axe men can easily chop off their feet/hands/whatever off and it's done, siege over. For me to walk around this bug, I have to make a clothing version of lowerbody/foot/hand armor pieces and let these creatures use them. That's fine and dandy. However, eventually civilians will claim "clothings" from the goblinites of the 3-4 FD races with dwarf-sized armors and that's not good cause "no civ clothings" is an another feature of mine. In order for me to walk around this issue I have 2 options: ask you to tweak your mod or include a bastard version of your mod and have to change it myself every time you update yours. I'm lazy so I opted for 1) ;p

So basically, 1 small fix from your side, 1 small fix from my side, IM+FD suddenly got a whole lot harder.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2010, 02:32:16 pm »

Half way there.

The other half being: Due to reasons I'd explain below, this change will help me from having to include a bastardized version of your mod in mine and still continue to be able to support yours. Now, to the technicalities: Due to bug #3838 creatures will not spawn with full armor as intended. Right now Jotuns only arrive with breastplate, shield, helm and a weapon. My axe men can easily chop off their feet/hands/whatever off and it's done, siege over. For me to walk around this bug, I have to make a clothing version of lowerbody/foot/hand armor pieces and let these creatures use them. That's fine and dandy. However, eventually civilians will claim "clothings" from the goblinites of the 3-4 FD races with dwarf-sized armors and that's not good cause "no civ clothings" is an another feature of mine. In order for me to walk around this issue I have 2 options: ask you to tweak your mod or include a bastard version of your mod and have to change it myself every time you update yours. I'm lazy so I opted for 1) ;p

So basically, 1 small fix from your side, 1 small fix from my side, IM+FD suddenly got a whole lot harder.

Updates to my mod are generally contingent upon new releases that change aspects of entity generation or the military. Thus, updates to my mod are infrequent. Since the changes you request require only a few edits in one file of the mod, and will be accompanied by further changes to armor in the entity files, it might be better to maintain a separate version of Fortress Defense that is compatible with IM.

Presumably, most future updates to FDII would not affect the changes to the file that I altered for the sake of greater compatibility with the IM.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »

Since the changes you request require only a few edits in one file of the mod, and will be accompanied by further changes to armor in the entity files, it might be better to maintain a separate version of Fortress Defense that is compatible with IM.
I'm not sure what you meant with that, but if you mean FD's entity files need to be changed then no. I made the default pieces "clothing" and add new pieces exclusively for dwarven entity. The armor change done on my side thus would also improve vanilla non-dwarf entities without having to change them directly.

With the size tweak, there's no more cheap gears from siege. Moreover, players now have a new decision to make: Either trade the goblinites away, losing much value but remain poor OR melt them, make better stuff but also get higher fort value as a result, which escalate sieges faster. Changing creature size is thus a solid choice laced with !!FUN!!, with or without IM relevance  :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 02:54:57 pm by rephikul »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 80