Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317721 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.12/16] Fortress Defense Mod II: Higher Customizability!
« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2010, 04:51:23 pm »

haha I have so much meat now, turns our war animals are also edible, and my tigermen bring a TON of war jaguars and war leopards.  So ya, I'm being attacked by the furry army of death, which I then eat the casualties of.
Nom nom nom

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:19 am »

I have to say how incredibly fun this mod is.  I've always felt sieges were incredibly wimpy and boring in DF.  By year three I was getting multiple sieges a season and I was SCARED to open the front gate to test out my defenses.  It was awesome!  My current fort is dying an fps death because I just can't keep up with cleaning up all the bodies and loot because I lost most of my hauling dwarves in the unfortunate 'forgetting to reattach the lever to the main drawbridge' incident of 253.  My bad....

I'm already planning the new fort though and this mod is going to stay part of my standard df experience for as long as it'll keep loading up.

Thanks so much for this, it really makes df for me now!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2010, 10:19:05 am »

Apparently version 31.18 allows better specification of the metals that an enemy civ uses.

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

(*)changed metal use for humans/gobs/kobs via existing raw tags
   (*)changed a few two-handed weapon sizes

This calls for some changes to the civs of the Fortress Defense Mod.

I don't know when on my current busy schedule I'll have time to get around to it, but rest certain that these changes will be in the next version...

edit:

I have to say how incredibly fun this mod is.  I've always felt sieges were incredibly wimpy and boring in DF.  By year three I was getting multiple sieges a season and I was SCARED to open the front gate to test out my defenses.  It was awesome!  My current fort is dying an fps death because I just can't keep up with cleaning up all the bodies and loot because I lost most of my hauling dwarves in the unfortunate 'forgetting to reattach the lever to the main drawbridge' incident of 253.  My bad....

I'm already planning the new fort though and this mod is going to stay part of my standard df experience for as long as it'll keep loading up.

Thanks so much for this, it really makes df for me now!

Considering that fps lag due to liquid spillage is a bug of the way DF is currently implemented, I would recommend the use of DFCleanMap (or whatever it's called) to (very marginally) take care of those things. Although making bodies and loot evaporate might be an interesting feature to think about in the future.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:21:48 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2010, 03:28:24 pm »

"Although making bodies and loot evaporate might be an interesting feature to think about in the future."

Truer words were rarely spoken. I think I'm now at year 4 of my fortress and the area around the entrance of my fort looks like the scene of a massacre. I've been using a dwarf-cleaner (line of water) at the front of my entrance, and running dfcleanmap multiple times per siege but it doesn't seem to help much. If there was simply a way to make bodies/bones rot quicker I think that would do the trick. It would certainly make things look neater. In any case, it's time to reset.

Also some more general comments about the mod - I've now seen multiple waves of war elephants, nightwings and warwolves, and as far as I can tell, nightwings are the worst, followed closely by the war elephants, while the warwolves are significantly weaker. The difference between nightwings and elephants is that nightwings are very hard to disable since they don't ever seem to fall unconscious even when heavily wounded, while elephants hurt alot although they are easier to bring down. At least that's what usually happens, one time I had 83 pages of combat text that was 2 axemen trying to finish off an unconscious elephant (in bronze armor IIRC). And let's not talk about the time when nightwing lashers showed up.

Probably the worst squad I faced were a bunch of nightwing axemen who served as a meatshield for their general which was a legendary +5 in spear skill with a copper spear who cut through steel like it wasn't there - I used runesmith to figure out his stats. I ran through the battle times many times by reloading and basically the general would pick off the dwarves one by one while the rest of his squad was dying slowly. I ended up reducing his stats in runesmith to proceed.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2010, 05:17:08 pm »

Doesn't Genesis allow melting down/disposal of remains in a kiln or something like that?  Maybe that functionality could be borrowed? 

Can bones be used for construction? :D
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Srial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2010, 01:00:29 pm »

I'll go looking for DfCleanmap, thanks.  Sounds like it might be what I need.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:00 pm »

Doesn't Genesis allow melting down/disposal of remains in a kiln or something like that?  Maybe that functionality could be borrowed? 

Can bones be used for construction? :D

I've been considering creating a new set of invader races, related to the current ones, who possess no bones or other materials that would be left upon death. A kiln reaction would also be easy enough to implement; it's just a matter of finding the time with finals around the corner.

"Although making bodies and loot evaporate might be an interesting feature to think about in the future."

Truer words were rarely spoken. I think I'm now at year 4 of my fortress and the area around the entrance of my fort looks like the scene of a massacre. I've been using a dwarf-cleaner (line of water) at the front of my entrance, and running dfcleanmap multiple times per siege but it doesn't seem to help much. If there was simply a way to make bodies/bones rot quicker I think that would do the trick. It would certainly make things look neater. In any case, it's time to reset.

Also some more general comments about the mod - I've now seen multiple waves of war elephants, nightwings and warwolves, and as far as I can tell, nightwings are the worst, followed closely by the war elephants, while the warwolves are significantly weaker. The difference between nightwings and elephants is that nightwings are very hard to disable since they don't ever seem to fall unconscious even when heavily wounded, while elephants hurt alot although they are easier to bring down. At least that's what usually happens, one time I had 83 pages of combat text that was 2 axemen trying to finish off an unconscious elephant (in bronze armor IIRC). And let's not talk about the time when nightwing lashers showed up.

Probably the worst squad I faced were a bunch of nightwing axemen who served as a meatshield for their general which was a legendary +5 in spear skill with a copper spear who cut through steel like it wasn't there - I used runesmith to figure out his stats. I ran through the battle times many times by reloading and basically the general would pick off the dwarves one by one while the rest of his squad was dying slowly. I ended up reducing his stats in runesmith to proceed.

You might consider changing one of the game's default reactions to consume corpses or melt armor and see if that helps.

Regarding relative army difficulty, I did intend for elephants and nightwings to be the hardest challenges in the basic version. When I tried to determine how to balance the game, I decided I would prefer to err on the side of extremely challenging for the highest tier enemies, compared to Relentless Assault where it became trivial to survive even the final tier of enemies with a few legendaries.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:30 pm »

Yeah I think they are properly difficult, especially now that in the new version armor should protect toes and such (this is what most of the wounds on my dwarves were from the previous versions). It wasn't easy but I did manage to deal with everything without resorting to cheating/traps or loosing dwarves (except one guy that succumbed to infection after a bunch of injuries). Except for that one spearmaster nightwing. And of course I had to reload quite a bit, usually because my marksdwarves got into melee combat and promptly got slaughtered or because my soldiers got separated in a bad way. If the health-care industry fixed up wounded dwarves more easily I might even say it should be a bit harder.

I think probably the biggest difference next time I play will be to try to set up archer towers/fortifications. With the amount of enemies that are coming from all sides it's hard to keep marksdwarves safe without them, and I didn't want to wait for the enemies in my tunnel where I had a shooting gallery set up. That or just use melee dwarves only. I'll have to try the challenge version whenever I start a new game.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 19, 2010, 04:47:25 pm »

I find a few heavily armored swords dwarves, about 15, with a backup of 5 marksdwarves can both keep the archers safe, and still slaughter everything, but ya archer towers are a must on this mod.
Nom nom nom

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.18] Fortress Defense Mod II v4: Enemies May Evaporate Upon Death
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2010, 08:24:09 am »

New release! See link in OP.

Testing out having enemies drop a stone that evaporates when temperature is turned on. This should also prevent their remains from leaving bones.

Also figured out how to restrict civs to certain metals.

Both of these implementations require additional files than just the creature and entity files.

fledermaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2010, 07:09:38 pm »

Great! Glad to see a new version; I've really been wanting to try this out! Thanks!

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:03 pm »

anyway to turn the evaporate effect off ? i like using the stuff of fallen enemies.
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »

anyway to turn the evaporate effect off ? i like using the stuff of fallen enemies.

Only the corpses of fiend-type enemies (nightwings, imps, etc) evaporate; this is in keeping with flavor, in my opinion, and other mundane enemies still drop their items.

The tags that cause this are arranged on two lines in the creature entries of enemies that evaporate, like so:

Code: [Select]
[NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT]
[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:VAPORSTONE_FD]

Deleting them will cause the creature to leave a normal corpse again.

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2010, 09:33:19 am »

ive got alot of dead bodies in from of my gates, my dwarfs refuse to dump them or get them out of the way, this is normal?

anyway, i will solve it with magma unless someone has a better idea.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »

ive got alot of dead bodies in from of my gates, my dwarfs refuse to dump them or get them out of the way, this is normal?

anyway, i will solve it with magma unless someone has a better idea.
check outside refuse removal orders ... o-r-o  + availability of refuse pile
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 80