Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 80

Author Topic: [0.44.12+] Fortress Defense Mod II R v21: Progress Trigger and Bug Fixes!  (Read 317964 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fortress mode seems to work for me (0.34.10).  Got a beakwolf squad attack me in the first year, but it was all good.

Use one of the first two links in the OP.  Copy/paste the text files from the unzipped directory into your /objects/raw folder as per the readme.  It shouldn't overwrite anything.

I never gen past 125 years with this mod.

You lost to beakwolves? How?

Fun fact-Mountains dont stop them, if you embark on a all-mountain area they still come. My army-less mountainfort got trashed by nagas. xD
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Simon the Wizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi love the mod adds a nice challenge.
Beakwolfs, Stranglers, Frogman(half of them is always happily jumping down the natural waterfall in my recent fortress) work really nicely, Warwolves are fricking dangerous, most of the ground units I've seen so far are behaving right. Got hellfire imp thiefs which really can wreck havoc with the one fireball they shoot after being detected, awesome^^
Ferric Elves are a bit wonky as they attack but after they walked into the initial traps and maybe lost 2-3 of their group they decide to just camp on the edge of the map, only attacking if someone comes to close.
Though flying creatures are really not working at all, got a lot of sieges in various fortresses and they always remain on the edge of the map doing nothing at all. Even ignoring dwarves that wander close, none of their ranged units firing either. You have to attack them directly to get an reaction. Always the same pattern.
And I think I'm getting the Nightwings always a bit to early around 60-70 dwarves with not that much wealth generated or traded and they come around once or twice the year(Though it isn't really a problem since the do basically nothing XD).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:15:55 pm by Simon the Wizard »

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile

Some quick questions, sorry I tried to read through the last 40 pages to find the answers to my question but it's a bit much...

I wanted to use some of the FD races in my game but last time I did the Nagas kept showing up riding named war dragons and kicking my ass big time. Was this because I was trading too much stuff? Or because I left the world gen running too long? I basically want the races but don't want it to be TOO hard. Any advice?

Also is there a list anywhere about what race needs what biome? Thing is I'm doing a desert world and it can't place any elves so I want to replace them with a FD race, enabled all the easy races and only the Stranglers, Frogmen and Hellfire Imps got placed. Was expecting the Ferric Elves to be ok with it but I guess not, suppose the Frogmen will be ok, swimming up the plug-hole!   

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Races and their biomes are in the entity_* files.  For example in entity_default.txt:

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
        [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
        [CREATURE:DWARF]
[START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]

Which says "Here's a race called DWARF which spawns on MOUNTAIN tiles."  Likewise, Fortress Defense includes things like:

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:KERMITFD]
        [CREATURE:FROG_MANFD]
        [START_BIOME:ANY_LAKE]
        [START_BIOME:ANY_RIVER]
        [START_BIOME:ANY_OCEAN]
        [START_BIOME:ANY_WETLAND]

Those are the frogmen, which spawn on the biomes listed there.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile

@greycat, thanks for that, I guess the frogmen stole the few lakes on the map and there wasn't room for anybody else. Funny because there are definitely mountains and the other races didn't seem to be interested in them. I guess I'll probably just use the frogmen to replace the elves, now you've explained how it works I could probably mod ferric elves myself so they start in deserts or badlands. 

So, anything about how to avoid overpowered war dragon riding baddies?

Tierre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shorter world gen. They always get some nasty mounts in long gen:( Or better yet - remove MOUNT and MOUNT_EXOTIC from dragons and all the overpowered creatures:) You can leave PET to be able to use them yourself but it won't be used as a mount anymore by enemies.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Hi all,

Really love Fortress defense, both native and in Masterwork.

I notice that Badgermen have this growth/size profile:
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:12000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:50000]
   [BODY_SIZE:80:0:900000]

Almost every other FD creature race grows by a factor of about ~2 from adolescent to adult, but these guys grow factor of almost ~20.  Any idea if it's working as intended or maybe a typo? 

Edit:  found my answer in your OP:  there you say they are supposed to be about 1.5 times size of a Dwarf, so i suppose it was a typo and they should be 90000

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:12:25 am by smakemupagus »

Arkenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.07] Fortress Defense Mod II v11: Hellfire Imps with real Hellfire!
« Reply #712 on: August 31, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »

I am having a terrible time keeping the Dark Stranglers alive through a 130 year world gen. I've tried increasing their biome and site selections, but that doesn't seem to make much difference. They don't seem to be dying in huge numbers, according to Legend Viewer, so I'm not sure quite what's going on. Is it inevitable because they're such weak combatants?

*Edit* And the previous post might explain why the badgers always seemed to outnumber everyone else. Worldgen combat takes size into account I think?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 01:31:09 pm by Arkenor »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 31, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »

Yeah, worldgen combat is basically a series of individual duels, so badgermen (if you don't delete that extra '0' ;) can perform really well

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 03, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »

Is this mod working with the latest DF release?

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:56 pm »

Yup.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 07, 2012, 04:21:49 pm »

So my military was holing up reasonably well against the Beak Dogs and the Frogmen and the Tigermen and the Nagas.... the only real issue was not having enough haulers to clean up the mess between the attacks...

...and then the Hellfire Imps showed up.  My poor dwarves didn't stand a chance.  It seems the hellfire flames go right through fortifications, and iron armor and shields didn't seem to help much at all, my dwarves just caught on fire and died pretty quickly.

Another problem was that the hellfire apparently destroys bridges, which I use for various parts of my defense structure...  I tried rebuilding the destroyed bridges using Iron instead, but the next wave of hellfire imps just blew those up too...

So I have a couple of questions:

1. How do you guys defend against Hellfire Imps? Any suggestions?
2. Is there any way to build a bridge that Hellfire Imp flames won't destroy?

--nomad_delta

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:22 pm »

If you also use LoFR, the blessed dwarves will really help against hellfires.

Other than that, I guess the only option is to have some sort of watchdog line to detect thieves way before they reach your fortress, and a load of marksdwarves one z-level up (to avoid collateral damage for when your watchdogs die).
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:04 pm »

If you also use LoFR, the blessed dwarves will really help against hellfires.

Other than that, I guess the only option is to have some sort of watchdog line to detect thieves way before they reach your fortress, and a load of marksdwarves one z-level up (to avoid collateral damage for when your watchdogs die).

oh the hellfire imp thieves I don't have such trouble with, it's when I get sieged by like 20 hellfires at once that I have trouble, since they can all throw fire from just as far away as my marksdwarves can shoot :)

--nomad_delta

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:43 pm »

Two layers of fortifications + elite marksdwarves and shields. And just to be safe, make their turret floodable with water.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 80