Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: SparkGear XIII The Cursed -Courageous dwarf, grab 24th!  (Read 10432 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SparkGear XIII The Cursed -Frost Wyvern doign more damage
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2010, 12:04:00 am »

Oh we have heaps and heaps of cats.  And Labrek is most certainly dead.

Notes from the second half of my turn:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uploading save now.

...Done.  Save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2901
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:24:25 am by TurkeyXIII »
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2010, 02:36:45 am »

I've downloaded the save and loaded it up, so I know it works.

...*ominous music* :o
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2010, 04:13:48 am »

If there are any immigrants in the next few waves could I be dwarfed? It would be good to get a backstory running for the overseers transfer to power.
If possible I would like to be a mechanic or seige engineer, just name me 'Samohan'.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 01:47:01 pm »

Here's the journal-style write up of my turn.  Nothing here that wasn't in the notes, but more fluff and pictures.

From the journal of 'Turk' Tomesportent, Planter

25th Limestone, 1052
It's so dull here, what with nothing to do but plant plump helmets all day. This's the only thing I've had to eat since Wyrraim locked us underground for some stupid reason, and now I'm supposed to grow more of them? Forget this, I'm gonna plant some pig tails and cave wheat instead, that'll get some variety to the brewers at least.

26th Limestone
Ha, somebody mistook me messing with the crops as initiative, and made me a manager.  Now I get to sit around in an office telling people what to do all day - finally getting the recognition I deserve!  At least I will when my office is dug out.  Get to it, miners!

27th Limestone
Olon the Mason was walking around asking how migrants could get down to our little outpost, what with the huge Frost Wyrm outside and all.  I told him I that was their problem, not ours.  I mean really, I shouldn't have to deal with trivial little things like that.

4th Sandstone
Wyrraim our militia commander was up and about today. After all the fuss about running away from the Wyrm and leaving us trapped underground, he doesn't look nearly as injured as he would have us believe.  I told him he should go back up and kill it but he had other things on his mind, and led me down to the forges. More weapons, he was telling people, and more armor! I told somebody to stop smelting brass, that made me feel good about myself. I think some extra forges down here would be good too. See if I can find somebody to do that.

10th Sandstone
I told a miserable fellow named Labrek to join the militia, but he keeps complaining about his arms don't work and he can't pick up his sword.  Jees, do I have to do everything myself?

11th Sandstone
We're still only eating plump helmets, plump helmets for breakfast lunch and dinner! I want meat, dammit!  Zefon the mason was passing by so I told him to start butchering some livestock. He complained about there not being any livestock, only cats - like that's my problem!  He has his orders.

17th Sandstone
All that fresh meat is sitting around, but nobody's willing to cook it!  A mason named kadol ran past, babbling some nonsense about a lack of plant cloth. I told him to start cooking some decent meals but he ignored me. The insolence!  Solon will have to do it instead.

22nd Sandstone
I was heading down to the forges to tell the smiths how they should be working, when I heard mysterious rythmic undulations from the lowest cavern level outside the stairwell. Maybe Wyrraim can investigate that later.

9th Timber
Today I was rudely interrupted by a commotion caused by a large rat that crawled in from the cavern. I don't know what the fuss was about, it already looked pretty dead to me. Anyway, some dogs jumped on it and tore it apart and folks stopped panicking. Some dead elkbirds are running around the cavern too, I coughed and looked rather pointedly at Wyrraim, hinting that he should do something about it.  He sighed and told his trainees to put their training weapons away.  I don't think he got the hint, he must be stupid or something.

16th Timber
I went down to the forges to tell people off for making a commotion, and to inspect the armor that had been forged. What did I find? Some guy had used some bornze to make an anvil instead.  I didn't order that!

18th Timber
I was walking past our Doctor, Mosus, talking to Wyrraim loudly about the latest snowstorm. Strange really, we're so far underground we don't really notice them. Anyway, later that day Mosus started building a kennels in cavern all for no reason. I'm glad at least I still have my head screwed on right.

19th Timber
Olon bugged me about people on the surface again. He thinks the caravan from the mountainhomes is due, but can't get past the Wyrm. I told him if it bothered him, it would be his responsibility to fix it. I hope he does fix it, at least then he'd be useful. Sort of.

20th Timber
Today the militia tested out their shiny new bronze axes on some zombie elkbirds. When they got back, I scolded them for being so slow about it. They really need more discipline.

4th Moonstone
Kadol the mason died today, the doc said it was thirst. I hope he wasn't expecting me to hand feed it to him, it seems I do everything else around here!

19th Moonstone
A furnace operator returned to the surface complaining he didn't have the stones to continue smelting bronze.  I told him his manliness issues weren't my problem, so he complained to a miner about it instead.
Later that day there were all the shouts from the cavern: Troll, Troll! I stepped outside to see Wyrraim hacking a zombified troll in half. That really wasn't such a big deal, was it? Why didn't the guy who found it just do that, instead of run around yelling like some idiot. Jees.

2nd Opal
One of Wyrraim's recruits, Aban, reported noises behind the floodgates which isolate us from the surface. Something about a muffled roar and terrified meows. I assured him it was all in his head, and therefore his problem. I still seems worried about it, I don't know why.

4th Opal
Today my careful ponderations were disturbed by a hideous crash from above the cavern. There was this stampeding of boots and a roar, and cries of 'Oh Tobul, help us!'  I'm gald those lousy good-for-nothing recruits are finally getting the training they've been after, I was starting to suspect Wyrraim was just messing around.

5th Opal
I just saw Urist run over to the armory and grab a spear and helm. That's odd, I hadn't seen him in the militia before. He must be hauling them somewhere. I will have to tell Wyrraim that he should haul his own damn gear.
All that screaming from the top of the cavern is starting to grate my nerves.

8th Opal
Ezum the miner just ran up the cavern stairs. I assume he's going to help the recruits with their training, although I don't know why.  All that's Wyrraims responsibility anyway.  At least the screams and cries for help died down a couple of hours ago, so I can hear myself think again! Yay!

10th Opal
Today Ezum grabbed some lumps of rock, climbed to the cavern ceiling and started paving over the hole where the up/down stairs from the barracks break through the ceiling.  I don't care why he does this, but I wish I knew what he's using as an adhesive.
I Visited Mosus in hospital as well. I think they were a bit overzealous with the training, because his leg is missing. I told him to man up and deal with it. I think he appreciated my advice.

19th Opal
A lot happened today.  I even had a fireball shot at me! But it missed, not like that stupid Hornbill could hurt someone like me anyway.
So yeah this hornbill.  More panic from the caverns first, nothing strange about that, the poeple I have to live with tend to scream and run whenever they see a rat. But this time Wyrraim didn't just walk out and hit it until it died, instead people ran downstairs and pulled the levers to close the drawbridges. Of course that didn't stop this little bird thing from flying over the wall.

So there I was, dutifully planting some pigtails in the mudfields, when blam! Massive ball of flame slammed into the wall of the tunnel. Of course I wasn't scared or anything, but everyone around me was running back to the fields!
So then a couple of dogs ran in and started biting it, and Zuntir ran in with a spear - but he's a stoneworker, why was he wearing so much armor? Wyrraim came in to sort out our equipment misuse, and whacked the Hornbill a couple of times as well.

Then the rest of the militia showed up to really show this thing who's boss!

So it died, eventually.  I guess everyone's lucky I was there to save them with my awesome fireball dodging.  But now there's blood all over the dining room! I will have to tell off Zuntir about that - make him clean it all up I think.

23rd Opal
Zefon, one of the only recruits I've seen around recently, keeled over just outside the new barracks. I suspect maybe he took a fatal injury in the fight with the hornbill, but didn't want to bother anybody about it. Now that's a dwarf I could be proud of!

4th Obsidian
The dwarves who grab armor and spears without my telling them to are getting more numerous. I walked up to a shifty-looking guy today to tell him to stop playing with such valuable equipment, when he dropped to the ground gasping for air. I kicked him a couple of times and told him to get up, but he didn't. Some people are just disobedient I guess.

7th Obsidian
The butcher reports that the Hornbill gave us 247 serves of meat. To celebrate, I grabbed a lavish meal and had lunch in the blood-stained dining room. Wyrraim was there, too.  He didn't seem to want to talk, he was too busy watching one of the stray kittens walk through the pools of Hornbill blood. Sometimes I worry about that guy.

15th Obsidian
Sometimes, when I have to walk past the caverns, I wish Zefon were still alive.

From the journal of a stray kitten

21st Obsidian, 1052
LOL INVIZIBLE GOBLINZ

O NOES!

24th Obsidian
WYRM IN UR AMBUSH KILLIN UR DOODZ

WTFPWNLOL

From the journal of 'Turk' Tomesportent, Planter

26th Obsidian, 1052
I've heard rumors of a few people suffocating in the barracks for no reason. Need to talk to Wyrraim about what they were doing there in the first place.
Our expedition leader, Eshtan, decided to support out ailing military by joining Wyrraim's training program.

4th Granite, 1053
Another mysterious death. This was another guy who had taken it upon himself to wear our armour.  I think maybe it's cursed, that's why they keep wearing it! I wanted to inform Wyrraim about my theory, but he was busy having a loud conversation with the doctor about how warm it should get now that spring is here.

21st Granite
The doctor stopped working and stormed of into his room. Not suprising, given how ineffective he's been at preventing people from dropping dead. Olon the architect told me we should build the doc a glass furnace. I told him that was a stupid idea, but he did it anyway.

6th Slate
Today I walked past Endok who was on a hauling job. He laid on the floor with the stone tucked under one arm, and pulled himself along with the other.  I dutifully informed him that walking would be easier. I think he mustn't have heard me.

13th Slate
So Eshtan died once he put his armor on. Aha, I knew it! There's definately something suspicious about those mail shirts.

From the journal of Catten Bridgefed, Farmer

9th Slate, 1053
The settlement at Alecrazy should appear on the horizon soon.  This news brings some relief, as we are almost out of beer. If I ration it well enough, it should see all 21 of us through to our arrival, when we may join the local settlers in celebration of a successful journey.

12th Slate
The last of the stragglers have arrived at the location of the settlement - but there seems to be some confusion. Everybody's just milling around in the forest, and I can see neither the entrance to the fort, nor any welcoming dwarves to greet us. Given the state of our supplies, there is no point in turning back now, so I will ask for a volunteer to look around.

13th Slate
Rimtar the Gem Setter stepped up to scout for us, but shortly returned trailing blood from a stump where his hand used to be. What misfortune have I brought upon these dwarves, by bringing them to this place? No promised dwarven settlement, no booze, no way to get home - only frostbreathing lizard beast and ruins.

14th Slate
All is not yet lost. Further investigations have discovered a stockpile of bronze and coke to the east of the abandoned tunnel that the frost wyrm now calls its home. Kel and Rimtar got too close, and bravely engaged it in combat lest it exit the tunnel and discover our presence. It saddens me to report the Kel was brutally struck down by the monster, and Rimtar was heard running down the darker ends of the tunnel.  I doubt we will see him again.

But the metal and coal is being retrieved. Now the only thing between us and a brand new, budding settlment is an anvil. Between the berries on the ground and the murky water to the north-west, we may be able to hold out here until a carravan brings us an anvil. Or a pick and an axe. Or a ride home, that would work for me too.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Will Alvein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2010, 02:10:39 pm »

wait, I'm confused... what happened to the big pile of assorted ores right above the sea of magma and the forges I built in my turn O_o?
Also, are the immigrants outside the fortress or inside, I'm not sure if they went in or not...

Other than that, it was an awesome turn, I had fun reading it ;P

sir labreck

• Bay Watcher
  • You know what? Tic tock motherf**** --> SG philo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »

Didn't read already. But i asked for redwarfing :) A soldier crossbow or sword if possible. Labreck II should be fine.
If you have to choose between war and dishonour, don't choose dishonour because you'll have war.

Quote from: Oglokoog
sir labreck, how you manage to mangle English so much yet still manage to keep your posts comprehensible is beyond me. Well done.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2010, 10:43:46 pm »

I don't think I can do this...this mod's artwork is just too hard to figure out.  I can't pick the dwarves out of the background at a glance, and that just makes it too hard to handle a delicate situation like this.  Sorry...(Actually a few other stressful things happened today, which I could have handled, but the artwork was just the straw that broke the camel's back! :o ) Anyway, just skip me...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 12:03:37 am by Chaoseed »
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2010, 04:22:58 am »

wait, I'm confused... what happened to the big pile of assorted ores right above the sea of magma and the forges I built in my turn O_o?
Also, are the immigrants outside the fortress or inside, I'm not sure if they went in or not...

The magma smelters/forges still have that huge stockpile near them, but I smelted so much bronze we ran out of copper and tin ores partway through and had to mine more.

The migrants are stranded outside the fort.  None of them brought an axe or pick, and they most certainly have no anvil, but there was a bar/block stockpile with a whole heap of forbidden bronze and coke to the east-nor-east of the fortress entrance.  They can't get inside because the Wyrm is sitting just inside the entrance killing or maiming anybody who comes close enough.

I foresee two possible solutions:
1: have them hang around eating plants and drinking water until the elves come, buy some wood off the elves to make a training axe to get lumber for a wooden wall.  The downside is that they'll most probably be killed before they can defend themselves.
2: Have somebody from the established fortress in the cavern (where there are plenty of picks and axes) dig a back way to the surface for the migrants.  The downside is that once the Wyrm can path into the fortress there's a good chance he'll do so.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2010, 07:19:00 am »

Are you seriously able to play with that tileset?
Cluttered to the max and ugly, too.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2010, 09:45:31 am »

I'm fine with it, I do prefer Phoebus for it's rock layer icons annd simple pictures for objects but Ironhand is fine.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2010, 10:11:35 am »

I tried default ASCII first but some of the Genesis mod things don't seem to have characters - the Wyrm was a blank tile, for example.

Ironhand tileset, along with the music that comes with Genesis, make the whole thing very atmospheric.  I was impressed.  But yes, it's very indistinct.  I couldn't tell the difference between dwarf professions, I kept mistaking animals for rocks, and the goblins have the same colour and texture as grass.  I also had no idea what was keeping the Wyrm out for a while as the floodgates look exactly like up/down stairs.  I figured Wyrraim kept it at bay by sheer force of will.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2010, 02:57:07 pm »

Hey guys, I just got my wi-fi back, have I been skipped yet?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 05:12:19 am »

I quite like the current dwarf icons, miners carry picks, woodworkers are yellow, masons are white, soldiers have their own specific pictures and most of them carry a job-related item, a gem or wrench mabye. Apparently we might get better control over tiles soon, like the way coffins are still a text icon.

Other than that has no-one concidered opening a side for the Wyrm, and then closing it when it gets near? If you lured it away from the enterance you could get the mirants in and possibly start setting up a magma-flood, this is a Frost Wyrm after all.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 01:11:20 pm »

magma is 120+ z-levels down, so chances of that are slim. 

It's now the 8th of August, turn 9 starts in 11-ish hours.  Chaoseed forfeited his turn, DJ17 has technically been skipped, and Will Alvein played Urist's turn, finishing only 6 in-game months ago.  He hasn't checked in for turn 8, so I believe this leaves it open for whoever claims... DJ17 if you can take your turn and finish before 12 am on the 9th you probably could.  Otherwise it's JinF will have to start from where my turn ended.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:06 pm »

Is it always this nuts?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8