Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get a dwarf to rest?  (Read 1245 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
How to get a dwarf to rest?
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:58:49 am »

I have a dwarf whose lower body on down is solid red. How do I get him to rest in the hospital he's in, instead of being No Job?

He's my militia commander, so he's kinda important.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: How to get a dwarf to rest?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:01:42 pm »

Well some dwarfs don't think they are that wounded (I had a dwarf once who had both his arms and leggs broken but because he was so though he didn't care)

But if you knock im unconsious he will be brough to a bed by a fellow dwarf.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:03:34 pm »

Well some dwarfs don't think they are that wounded (I had a dwarf once who had both his arms and leggs broken but because he was so though he didn't care)

But if you knock im unconsious he will be brough to a bed by a fellow dwarf.
How would I do that without killing him?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »

You can force a small cave-in to happen next to him. The dust knocks dwarves unconscious.

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 04:37:43 pm »

You can force a small cave-in to happen next to him. The dust knocks dwarves unconscious.

Here's an idea: Set up a lever that will cause a cave-in, place it just to the side of where it would happen, set the lever so only the injured dwarf can use it, and give an order for it to be pulled.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »

Cave-in dust is lethal now. It doesn't magically knock them unconscious, it does lethal damage which knocks them unconscious. I shall not be using this method.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

It doesnt usually kill them, ive tried. And ultimately your militia commander is very replaceable. Hes  a dwarf, and there are no shortage of useless little buggers to take his place. If he is wounded as badly as you say, but isnt recieving medical treatment,treat him like a dwarf who has lost motorfunction in a leg or both hands..ie. retire them as they no longer function.

Just out of curiousity if you activate the squad does he go into battle?
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:36:08 pm »

It doesnt usually kill them, ive tried. And ultimately your militia commander is very replaceable. Hes  a dwarf, and there are no shortage of useless little buggers to take his place. If he is wounded as badly as you say, but isnt recieving medical treatment,treat him like a dwarf who has lost motorfunction in a leg or both hands..ie. retire them as they no longer function.

Just out of curiousity if you activate the squad does he go into battle?
He activates, but does not move from his hospital bed. If they did a little work on him he could easily join my other marksdwarves on the ramparts once again.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 05:52:30 pm »

Yeah hes not gonna do anything, even if you reinjure him there is not alot of chance he will actually get any medical attention. Youve got 2 choices. Either try and cave in on him, or find another entertaining way to hurt/kill him as he is functionally a dead end, or just leave him end move on.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »

Just a caution, from my personal experience, there are no small cave-ins in this version. The smallest one I've been able to create is able to cause 3 or more broken bones, they shove you into walls and obstacles while causing damage outright in addition. Cave-ins are bad mojo and should be avoided.

Cave-ins are also the leading cause of rock-based contaminants which will eat your fortress alive like corn weevils ruin crops.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 06:13:26 pm »

As far as I've seen, soil-based cave in dust is apparently still harmless. Maybe in stone layers it's now turns into deadly shrapnel.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »

He activates, but does not move from his hospital bed. If they did a little work on him he could easily join my other marksdwarves on the ramparts once again.

What does his health screen say? Is he awaiting medical treatment? If your chief medical dwarf or diagnostician is a lazy putz, he may just be waiting for the Health Care Machine to kick into action.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:03:44 pm »

What does his health screen say? Is he awaiting medical treatment? If your chief medical dwarf or diagnostician is a lazy putz, he may just be waiting for the Health Care Machine to kick into action.
He needs diagnosis.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 07:54:21 pm »

Deconstruct his bed. Failing that,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »

If he is awaiting diagnosis then make sure your chief medical dwarf is free of other jobs. If he still is not ettign diagnosed, you may have noone set to actually diagnose, so pick someone useless and give him the job, so far i havnt seen much difference in skilled or unskilled diagnosis
Pages: [1] 2