Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode siege participation  (Read 624 times)

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode siege participation
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:38:41 am »

Would it be possible for factions to siege each other and for you as an adventurer to take sides?

So for instance you see a goblin army traveling across the map and shut yourself in the local human castle or dwarf fort they're heading for. Or possibly offer your services to the leader of the attacking army. I couldn't find any other references to the idea, anyone else care to add?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode siege participation
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »

Before we could do this, though, we need the off-screen military arc to be put in so we actually can have seiges of towns in Adventure mode.  It's only finally apparently being put up in Toady's top 30 or so priorities on the devapge, but there's still no telling how long it will take to before Toady gets around to that.

I would presume that it would be possible you would have some sort of "Kill On Sight" status to some or all of the factions involved in those seiges already, but having, perhaps, a bounty system set up, where an attacked human village would gladly pay, X amount of money per kill you land on attackers could be a reasonable way to reward players for participating in the defense of their fair city (or sacking the enemy's city).

Of course, siding with one faction would put you on the "Kill on Sight" list of the people you sided against.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »

It would be impressive for them to even know you did it unless you were particularly famos.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »

It would be impressive for them to even know you did it unless you were particularly famos.

Haha! Silly Neonivek! In video games, once anyone knowns anything you've done, everyone knows everything you've done, because players have "tags" that float above them that announce their "Murderer" status to the whole world, forcing every cop on the planet to come rushing to kill you.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »

not yet but it will be.
Army Arc Release 2 "Release 2: Wars between civilizations, life cycle actions like birth/old age deaths and ruler succession throughout the world will occur during regular play involving fleshed-out units rather than simple historical figures. Battles can occur while an adventurer is present, even if the adventurer can't explicitly take sides.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Army_Arc#ixzz0vBic6N20
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG