Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf stats  (Read 10881 times)

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf stats
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:24:08 am »

How do i get to the stat screen to see how tough/agile/strong my dwarves are? the wiki shows nothing

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf stats
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

You can only find these stats the dwarf's "thoughts/preferences" screen (or whatever it's called).

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:41:49 am »

Damn, I was hoping for something a little less vague

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:57:31 am »

Actually, that only shows their stats relative to the average stats of their race, at that.

To get a real number, you have to use some DFHack utility that can tell you what the real numbers being used in the game are.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:25 am »

I haven't been able to make much sense of the numbers myself. In contrast to many other stat effects in the game, the stat numbers' (the numbers in the creature raws) increases correspond to an increase in capability. 2000 is better than 1000, etc. Whereas with speed, 1 is faster than 1000. I also haven't played a fort since the stat gains were fixed by Toady so it bears some further testing, all I can generally say is that red text = bad stats. The game tends to group the stats by their level of dearth, I know at least this much because I gradually watched some of my founders decline from mostly green to pure red stats over 16 years. :>
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 12:48:41 am »

Can't you go to the (v)iew-(g) general to see their stats.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:31:37 am »

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 04:11:45 am »

Yes i read that, but it doesnt say how to navigate to the stat screen.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 04:41:15 am »

(v)iew dwarves, (z), (enter)
OR
(u)nits, (v)iew, (enter)
くコ:彡

iBagel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:53:16 am »

Yes I knew that, But i was wondering if there is anything more detailed. apparently there isnt.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:55:04 am »

Yes I knew that, But i was wondering if there is anything more detailed. apparently there isnt.

Again, Toady won't give you any useful knowledge, you have to use a DFHack utility to force the game to tell you.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:14:17 am »

Again, Toady won't give you any useful knowledge, you have to use a DFHack utility to force the game to tell you.

Really, the text isn't useful?  It tells you which one is high, mediocre, low; and this post by Toady tells affects what. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:26 am »

No, not useful, as there is no way to know when things are going up or down.  That's why it took so long for the attributes bug to be discovered - it had to wait for people to start hacking and looking at those numbers for people to really realize it, except for those who noticed their starting 7 dwarves having every single stat in the red, and having no idea why.

That also leaves us with no means of comparison, plus requires manually viewing every single dwarf... which is why DFHack-based utilities like Dwarf Therapist are so utterly useful - they let you actually read the data in a meaningful way.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:17 am »

I think it's pretty detailed. It tells you what their stats are, what more do you want?
Do you seriously need numbers?
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »

I think it's pretty detailed. It tells you what their stats are, what more do you want?
Do you seriously need numbers?

Well, but there are just simple numbers under those descriptions.

What about something that is at least navigable? Currently, you really have to read those two paragraphs while that information can be made rather easy to represent visually like this:

Code: [Select]
          Strength ---0------
           Agility ------0--- (rusty)
         Toughness --------0- (v rusty)
         Endurance 0---------
Disease Resistance ----0-----
      Recuperation -0--------

Which provides much faster ability to assess stats at glance.
Pages: [1] 2 3