Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Prisoner and the Pit  (Read 1199 times)

SpartanSnip3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Prisoner and the Pit
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:01 pm »

I was wondering how one goes about throwing prisoners (in this case, a handful of goblins) into a pit.

The setup is a pit that opens into a chamber in the room below; I want to throw the prisoners down the pit... uncaged. Also, on that note, is there a way to de-construct a set of stairs from the floor above, leaving the pit as the only way into the chamber, yet not trapping the dwarf designated to deconstruct the stairs?

One further question; if I throw some weapons down after them, would they pick them up?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Prisoner and the Pit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:22 pm »

For the first, I suppose the simplest method would be to get them on a retracting drawbridge over the pit, then retract it. Getting them on the bridge... I'd put them in a cage that was the only non-drawbridge square in the room, but there are probably other methods. As for not trapping your dwarves, I'd just go with a locked door; I'm pretty sure goblins can't get through them. A constructed wall might be more reliable, though. Oh, and I don't know about constructions, but a dug-out staircase can be removed from above with the channel command.
Not sure about the weapons, but it wouldn't surprise me.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:20:53 pm »

I was wondering how one goes about throwing prisoners (in this case, a handful of goblins) into a pit.

The setup is a pit that opens into a chamber in the room below; I want to throw the prisoners down the pit... uncaged. Also, on that note, is there a way to de-construct a set of stairs from the floor above, leaving the pit as the only way into the chamber, yet not trapping the dwarf designated to deconstruct the stairs?

One further question; if I throw some weapons down after them, would they pick them up?
You can always prevent access to the stairs by walling off the corridor that leads to them. I've found that you can control which side a Dwarf stands on to build the wall by first designating a statue to be built (on the "don't stand here" tile) and then suspending the construction of the statue (q - s) so that it never actually gets built. Dwarves will avoid standing on that tile, despite the fact that the statue's construction has been suspended.

Another way to release armed Goblins is to cage them with weapons, construct the cages down in the "dungeon", link them all to a lever in the upper level, wall off the dungeon, and then pull the lever.

Oh, and I don't know about constructions, but a dug-out staircase can be removed from above with the channel command.
That leaves a Ramp behind, which negates the purpose... at least in versions 31.xx
Never pet a burning dog.

SpartanSnip3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:34:09 pm »

For the first, I suppose the simplest method would be to get them on a retracting drawbridge over the pit, then retract it.

Hmmm.... that might work. I was kinda hoping that they could just be thrown in like animals... :(

You can always prevent access to the stairs by walling off the corridor that leads to them. I've found that you can control which side a Dwarf stands on to build the wall by first designating a statue to be built (on the "don't stand here" tile) and then suspending the construction of the statue (q - s) so that it never actually gets built. Dwarves will avoid standing on that tile, despite the fact that the statue's construction has been suspended.

Ah, well, the stairs are honestly in the middle of the chamber...

Another way to release armed Goblins is to cage them with weapons, construct the cages down in the "dungeon", link them all to a lever in the upper level, wall off the dungeon, and then pull the lever.

Well, since I want the only way out of the chamber (the stairs) to be destroyed, and I hope to use this pit for any future prisoners of war, I don't know that this would be feasible.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:37 pm »

Ah, well, the stairs are honestly in the middle of the chamber...

Cover the stairs with floor hatches, all linked to a single lever. Pull lever = stairs open. Pull lever again = stairs sealed.

Well, since I want the only way out of the chamber (the stairs) to be destroyed, and I hope to use this pit for any future prisoners of war, I don't know that this would be feasible.

No need to destroy them, just render the stairs impassable (eg: covered by lever-locked floor hatches) when the dungeon is in use, and accessible for "maintenance" in between Gobbo runs.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpartanSnip3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »

Cover the stairs with floor hatches, all linked to a single lever. Pull lever = stairs open. Pull lever again = stairs sealed.

No need to destroy [the stairs], just render the stairs impassable (eg: covered by lever-locked floor hatches) when the dungeon is in use, and accessible for "maintenance" in between Gobbo runs.

Oh, wait; a lever-operated floor-hatch is impassible to goblins? what about... other critters (forgotten critters, for example)

Also, could I hook the hatch-lever up to other, alternate-state doors? Effectively making an airlock?

The simplest method would be to get them on a retracting drawbridge over the pit, then retract it. Getting them on the bridge... I'd put them in a cage that was the only non-drawbridge square in the room.

Huh... can a non-caged critter not share a tile with an empty cage?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:55:14 pm »

No need to destroy [the stairs], just render the stairs impassable (eg: covered by lever-locked floor hatches) when the dungeon is in use, and accessible for "maintenance" in between Gobbo runs.

Oh, wait; a lever-operated floor-hatch is impassible to goblins? what about... other critters (forgotten critters, for example)

Also, could I hook the hatch-lever up to other, alternate-state doors? Effectively making an airlock?

Yes... lever operated hatches are impassible to all creatures except Building Destroyers. Some of the Forgotten Beasts might have that 'Building destroyer' tag, though.

You can use lever-operated Doors as an airlock, correct. Again, they are only vulnerable to Building Destroyers.

Constructed Walls are immune to Building Destroyers.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpartanSnip3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:56:21 pm »

Yes... lever operated hatches are impassible to all creatures except Building Destroyers. Some of the Forgotten Beasts might have that 'Building destroyer' tag, though.

You can use lever-operated Doors as an airlock, correct. Again, they are only vulnerable to Building Destroyers.

Hmm... that's no good... :/

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:02:17 pm »

If I understand you correctly, you want the dungeon to be inhabited by Forgotten Beasts, and to be able to drop Gobbos down to fight them. Have you considered that some Forgotten Beasts can fly? They'll come right up out of the pit into your Fortress.

I would still suggest walling off the access with constructed walls, and tearing them down again as needed. I can't think of much else that will stop a flying Building Destroyer.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpartanSnip3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 11:06:47 pm »

If I understand you correctly, you want the dungeon to be inhabited by Forgotten Beasts, and to be able to drop Gobbos down to fight them. Have you considered that some Forgotten Beasts can fly? They'll come right up out of the pit into your Fortress.

Hmm... yeah, although with the hatch, that would be fine for non-building-destroyer Forgotten Beasts.

Is there a way for me to check for a building-destroyer [tag] without... learning first hand?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:11 pm »

Is there a way for me to check for a building-destroyer [tag] without... learning first hand?
Build a bunch of statues or something down in the lower level. Building Destroyers usually whack the first "building" they come adjacent to.

Other than that... can't think of a way to test. But "Learning is Fun!"
Never pet a burning dog.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 09:18:44 am »

Building destroyer's can't destroy buildings that are above them.

Last time I checked anyway. I don't think this has changed.

Curare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 05:13:04 pm »

If you designate a pit over an open space using the zones menu (i) you can select individual creatures to thrown into the pit. Make sure the zone covers the open space you want to be the pit, and also some adjacent ground where your dwarves can stand to throw things in. The dwarves will drag the cages creature to the pit, thrown the creature in, and haul the cage back to the stockpile. There is a bug/feature where sometimes a pitted creature will escape when the dwarf is transferring it from the cage to the pit, so have a few soldiers near by.