Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caves and floods  (Read 1045 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caves and floods
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:29:45 pm »

After completing a quest in a deep underground cave, all upwards ramps became flooded and the current was too strong to swim against. Unsure of any possible exits I ventured deeper looking for other possible exists. Ten minutes later and I ran into a giant cave spider which ripped me apart. Are there any other entrances and exits to these huge underground caverns, or once you go in can you only leave the same way?

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves and floods
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:29:42 pm »

I've accidentally found a cave and i went to slaughter the lion next to the entrance, i dodged the lion and fell 5 stories into water, when i got out a hydra destroyed me...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:39:42 pm »

You can escape, yes. You just need to be within the boundaries (it only counts x and y coordinates, not z) of a above-ground site, acceptable ones are any displayed on your mini-map/compass. You can then just fast travel out, as it's assumed your adventurer can somehow find his way from the underground, no matter how deep. The only way into a cavern though is through the caves, like the one you found, or through an abandoned fort that had cavern access (and still does)

Now, explain to me why the hell the entrance flooded, and why it only became a problem after a fight? If you hadn't simply been eaten by a GCS I'd call this the calling of an epic journey and tell you to continue onward through the underground. Most fun would that be.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 07:48:33 am »

I had no idea, thanks for that!

Also, I'm clueless as to what triggered the flood. I managed to swim up a ramp just before the current pushed me back, and saw the lit-up uncovered path I'd lead to previously walking down (so it was definitely the way I'd come in). I just wish I'd have been able to get past that spider, I was there for ages searching around, then before I knew it a wall of text followed by death ensued.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:34:05 pm »

Chances are that the cavern broke through an aquifer somewhere and so it began to flood.

For some reason in the case of the underground caverns it doesn't seem to dry the local brick out.
I had that happen to me once in Adventure mode, where the cave just randomly started to flood, then I noticed the walls were made of a material that can be an aquifer.