Poll

How do you usually get magma?

Volcano.
- 43 (35%)
Magma Sea, via pump stack.
- 23 (18.7%)
Magma Sea, via magma piston.
- 3 (2.4%)
Magma Sea, I send my dwarves down to use it.
- 36 (29.3%)
I don't use magma. (I'm a sissy elf)
- 18 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A poll about magma... because I can.  (Read 2501 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A poll about magma... because I can.
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:12:14 pm »

Specifically about how you get access to it in the new version. Not really any reason, I'm just curious.

Here's the link to the magma piston for anyone unaware of it's awesome: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59894.0
I've played a guitar with my penis.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: A poll about magma... because I can.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:15:51 pm »

I go the dwarfy way and tell my little dudes to man up, and go down themselves.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:23:29 pm »

I never reached the magma sea :(

But I embarked on a volcano just right now, so oy! Bliss! :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

Volcano and/or magma pipe, since I can't be bothered to make all those pumps to get the magma to the main part of my fortress.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:02 pm »

I've been experiementing with the piston concept, I'm about to implement it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:29:10 pm »

Today is the first time that I have gotten a large supply of magma in a 31.x version DF.  I am using a stack of 21 pumps driven by 8 windmills, filling a 21 x 32 reservoir.  It was such a joy to watch that red stuff flow into the reservoir.   :D

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:45 pm »

I kind of use all three magma sea options, all in different stage of my fortress. I initialy dig all the way down, and make a few magma workshops at the magma sea level. Later I move said workshops to the main fortress with a magma piston, and even later I will feel the need to build magma moats/cannon/whatevers so I make a nice oversized pumpstack and reservoir.

I dont realy embark on volcanoes due to there being only ignious stone around them.

Voted pump stack because thats kind of the 'ultimate solution'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »

I almost always embark on a volcano or a high-volcanism area that probably has a pipe in the caverns, or just send them to the magma sea. Pumps may also be used where necessary. Haven't tried the magma piston, and don't intent to for now, it just seems like too much effort for a small reward.

I usually either ignore the elves, seize their goods, lock them in, pit-trap them, or some combination, mostly trying to keep the proper equilibrium to allow the most animals to be brought without actually starting a war (relatively pissed off), but I'm not gonna waste valuable time and effort just to pour a trickle of valuable magma on them. Personally, I've always found being ignored to be far more potent an insult than anything else, and that's how they're treated.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bacc

• Escaped Lunatic
  • True story, Google it. Happened in Thailand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »

What I usually do is initially embark on a massive area with the stones/sand etc that I wanted, run a reveal and have a poke around underground. I find there are usually 10 or so magma pipes per region tile (with reasonably high volcanism) which don't reach the surface, that open in the caverns. I find an awesome looking area, memorize where it is on the map, then re-gen the world and embark there. So volcano I guess, but volcanoes which don't show on the region map. Found some really awesome caverns this way, I recommend you all give it a go.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:11:31 pm »

Slightly noobish question, but what's a magma piston?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »

You drop a big hunk of rock into magma, which causes the magma to appear on top of it due to displacement.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »

A regular rock, or a cave-in?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »

Seriously? I'll let you guess on that one.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:48:13 pm »

Yeah, that was dumb.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »

Slightly noobish question, but what's a magma piston?

The longer-than-one-sentence answer to your question is over in this thread.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.
Pages: [1] 2