Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone Collecting  (Read 1509 times)

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stone Collecting
« on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:15 pm »

So in my current fort, whenever a dorf needs stone they tend to go to the farthest point possible to get it instead of the nearest. Any idea what might cause that or how to fix it? I've checked to make sure the closer stone isn't forbidden, and pretty much all of the stone in the area is diorite so far.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Collecting
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:11:04 pm »

Those things suck ass. As far as my observations have concluded: Dwarves always pick the thing with the LOWEST x:y:z coordinates. That's to say, the point furthest in the horizontal upper left, and from the vertical bottom to the top.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:19:57 pm »

I'd suggest just making garbage dumps in convenient locations and quantum stockpiling.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

I've got a dump right next to my workshops with everything reclaimed and he still trots off to my basement when needs a new rock.

Another oddity, I've got a pit above my dump pile that's also designated as a dump area so they could dump stuff from upstairs and save some travel time, but it seems like they always go upstairs to dump, even when it's farther away.

I use this setup all the time, I think I just got a batch of 'special' dwarves this time...

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:23:33 pm »

I've got a dump right next to my workshops with everything reclaimed and he still trots off to my basement when needs a new rock.

You could always d-b-d all the stone in the basement so it winds up in the quantum stockpile. Alternately, you could d-b-f all of the stone in the basement.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »

Also, dwarves will always chuck it in a pit if given the option.  I probably would too so I don't blame them too much for that.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:14:49 am »

Ah, didn't know having a pit made a difference.

So I built another mason's workshop down in my basement where they were getting all the stone... The dorf that uses the basement shop walks all the way upstairs to the dump pile to get his rocks.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:47:47 am »

HA HA HA HA HA.

Oh boy. Aren't you (and by extension: we all) ever screwed :D
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:57:48 am »

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think what happens is you designate say, 100 floor tiles to be built, and in the time it takes ten to be built, you dig out some new stone( of the recquired type) right next to it. But since all the floor sections are already planned and matched with a stone, dwarves decide what stone to get the moment the floor plan is laid rather then when construction begins, so it ignores ones created after designation. But probably not

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:53:22 am »

I sometimes have the feeling they prefer stones they like and high quility stone.(someone might need to do some testing here) If this is true then by logic the stones they prefer will run out quite soon. When this happens they will still try to get the stone and the only place where it's left is in your basement where it's newly dug by the miners. For testing try switching your masons.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 12:44:15 pm »

I sometimes have the feeling they prefer stones they like and high quility stone.(someone might need to do some testing here) If this is true then by logic the stones they prefer will run out quite soon. When this happens they will still try to get the stone and the only place where it's left is in your basement where it's newly dug by the miners. For testing try switching your masons.

Interesting. I know for sure that dwarves grab stones by block distance, not by pathing to the nearest. This means that they'd go for a rock in your basement directly below the workshop is 10 z-levels away before they go for a rock from your rock dump 15 tiles away on the same level. That may be the simplest explanation of what's happening. Is the basement directly under your workshop? Are your dwarves making a little square of empty tiles centered on the workshop?
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 03:12:22 pm »

There was a bug, it may still be in effect, where dorfs treated all distance on the Z-axis as 0 for the purposes of selecting materials to work with- thus, a rock directly below a dorf 100 Z-levels down is treated as closer than a rock that is in the same room but a few tiles away, regardless if it requires him to go across the map to find stairs do to that level. try moving your workshops to the other side of the stockpile you want them to take from to see if they aren't.  Also bear in mind that the dorf selects the materials he will work with at the point in time when he needs to take it to the workshop- if he's across the fort, he will pick up something that is close to his position, not something close to the workshop he will be working in. (if he needs two materials, though, the second is determined after the first is delivered to the workshop, and will be whatever is closest to the workshop because he will be in the workshop at that point)

Also, check your burrows, just in case.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 04:28:04 pm »

I'm not completely sure about this, but I think what happens is you designate say, 100 floor tiles to be built, and in the time it takes ten to be built, you dig out some new stone( of the recquired type) right next to it. But since all the floor sections are already planned and matched with a stone, dwarves decide what stone to get the moment the floor plan is laid rather then when construction begins, so it ignores ones created after designation. But probably not

Well, in my experience, the instant you designate constructions to be built, the stones are reserved for that construction alone. And if that stone happens to be in a location where another construction is waiting to be built, the presence of the stone will prevent the second construction from being completed until the stone is moved. Thus, we can be pretty dang sure that mining out more stone close to the constructions won't influence which stones get used.

Probably for the best, really, so there's not a whole mess of rechecking and comparing distances every time you mine some new materials.

beef623

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 11:42:32 pm »

Looks like ignoring the z-distance fits with what's happening, I'll try making a stone stockpile right beside my workshops and see if that works. If nothing else it'll give the slackers something to do in their free time.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 08:30:20 am »

I just dump my excess stone in a spot near the workshops and resrict my crafters and such to a burrow encompassing it all, along with food stockpiles, the dining room, and the bedrooms.