Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reproduction  (Read 1493 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reproduction
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:33 pm »

So, it appears that, for whatever reason, my fortress will not be getting migrants; I don't *think* my civilization is dead, but they have no notable figures, and I've yet to see a caravan, and haven't had migrants in years.

Since I really like this save, I'm planning to try to salvage it by upping dwarven reproduction rates and making them grow up faster, too.

I know how to do the basics, but I'm guessining things are going to go wrong. What do I need to watch out for? And is there an easier way? Maybe up my exported wealth directly, or something?

EDIT: Actually, looking at the files... these have gotten more complicated since my days of sterilizing cats. I changed CHILD:12 to CHILD:1, and am hoping that won't cause conflicts with the baby stage, but... where and how can I make them have a lot of kids?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:00:47 pm by FreakyCheeseMan »
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »

You don't have to look out for much. You'll only need to adjust the growth rate, CHILD and BABY. It's safe to remove the entire baby caste if you feel it's necessary to cut the growth time to a single year.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:02:26 pm »

My fortress already has one baby; will removing the caste cause it trouble?

Where's the growth rate? Or is that CHILD and BABY?

I need to do two things here- make them grow up fast, and make them breed fast.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:06:46 pm »

Babies are not castes. Not sure if removing them entirely is a good idea, but you can allways try for sake of science.

You might also want to adjust bodysizes, otherwise you will have toddler-sized adults running around. Just replace this:
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:168:15000]
   [BODY_SIZE:12:0:60000]
With this:
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:3000]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:60000]

Edit: also you can remove the multiple litter rare tag to have dwarves spew out more babies. Use LITTERSIZE:1:12 (the number are min and max) in case the is too much/little.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:18:16 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:09:41 pm »

Yeah, you're right. I forgot that growth-based-castes don't exist yet. Otherwise, setting BABY to 1, CHILD to 2 and making the bodysize adjustments is all you need to do.

When it comes to reproduction itself, the only real thing you can do is make sure dwarfs have lots of idle social time. If you were generating a new world I'd suggest that you make identikit clone dwarfs (i.e. set all the personality tokens to a set value) in the hope that it'd lead to more of them marrying (there's no real evidence on whether this works or not, but it'd help in research).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:11:27 pm by 3 »

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:18:54 pm »

Wait, there has to be a way to make them breed more often. I know I saw a "MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE" tag...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:24:50 pm »

Oh, yeah, you could increase litter size. But that doesn't necessarily amount to them breeding more often. Remove the rare litter tag, and replace it with LITTERSIZE:(min):(max).

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 03:28:38 pm »

Just to make sure- [LITTERSIZE:15:30] is what you're thinking as far as format goes, yeah?

I don't see that tag anywhere else... searched all of creature_domestic...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:30:54 pm by FreakyCheeseMan »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

Well, it -is- a tag. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't in use SOMEWHERE.
I believe the Shroom Dwarves in Deon's genesis mod use it, if you'd like some prior usage.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:17:15 pm »

I don't think you can make them breed more often, just that they can have more babies.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »

Alright... gave them 20:40, still waiting to see a birth so I know if it worked...

Any other ways to up my population? Some way to force one of my dwarves to be a notable figure? Maybe mod elephants to birth fully-grown dwarves and establish a sickeningly biological midget factory?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:23:09 pm »

As good as your idea is, there isn't any way of getting creatures to give birth to other creatures... I'd definitely like to see that sort of thing possible.

And besides what I said earlier about idle time, there's nothing that I know of.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »

I don't think you can make them breed more often, just that they can have more babies.
Once they are married they give birth each year... That's it, it's unmoddable.

Also to the author : don't forget that you need to change it in your save folder, not in the main RAWs.

Otherwise, setting BABY to 1, CHILD to 2
You can set them both to 1. It's not the age they end at, it's a length of the stage.
Oops I was wrong, it's the age.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:02:33 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 03:34:15 pm »

Yeah, I was unsure about that, and thought it was the number of years too, but I checked the wiki and it said otherwise. So it needs updating.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »

It's easy to check. When do dwarves become adult? I really don't remember. It says CHILD:12, so if they became adult at 12 then I was wrong and it's the age :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2