Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.  (Read 16064 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2010, 12:44:30 pm »

Oh wait nevermind that, I meant illegal loggers. So that one is void for the list.
Whatever gets food on the table.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2010, 12:46:54 pm »

Ok, an BP? Oil is still what keeps the world going right now after all.

And the soldiers in ww2? Those guys were fighting other soldiers for the most part, so i don't see that as a bad thing.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »

Did we just have a guy ruining computer games compared to a Nazi?

That has to set some kind of record for outrageous godwinning.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2010, 01:05:32 pm »

Let's get back to basics: Bobby said he plans to run his company into the ground.

I suspect it was an ill-concieved plan to create a cult of hate around himself. After all, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

That's why he's going around doing what we suspect game industry CEOs of doing anyway. He expects people to say "well, at least he's honest," and from that, he will drive a new kind of interaction. It's not a good plan, but it's one I could see someone thinking up.

Or, perhaps he's an actor. Maybe in a few weeks, after everyone's heard of what he claims to be doing, he's fired, Activision picks a more "hip", "cool" "Dude" to replace him, and keeps doing what they're doing under the guise of having excised the cause of the problems.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2010, 01:37:26 pm »

That's why he's going around doing what we suspect game industry CEOs of doing anyway. He expects people to say "well, at least he's honest," and from that, he will drive a new kind of interaction. It's not a good plan, but it's one I could see someone thinking up.

I think that's exactly it. Sort of a "no one can hate an honest man" philosophy. (Which is totally untrue.) I think he believes in ego driven leadership, and figures dissembling his motives to the public is a waste of energy. And he's right to some extent. Activision and Blizzard are juggernauts of gaming. There's almost nothing they could do, or their employees could say, that would leave them in the negative at the end of the quarter.

So why bother? He can put so much more effort now into terrorizing his employees, trying to deny them their due wages and bonuses and rearranging corporate culture into something out of Shadowrun. :P

Seriously though, I think people often underestimate how effective simply doing something for a long enough time is at changing culture. $60 games, anyone? I think Kotick would like to see publishers in general exercise a lot more control over dev houses they represent. Those pesky game developers, with their jeans, and their mandatory fun quotient.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:40:01 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »

Did we just have a guy ruining computer games compared to a Nazi?

That has to set some kind of record for outrageous godwinning.
The hilarious part being that then people came to the defense of the nazi soldiers.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »

most soldiers were just soldiers, and did no more atrocities than the other side.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »

most soldiers were just soldiers, and did no more atrocities than the other side.

In talking about any other conflict or war that statement would be a lot less ludicrous.

Cause like, the allies in WW2 didn't really commit any genocidal atrocities against mankind, or try to conquer the world through ruthless agression. Or do you think that most of the nazi soldiers were on leave when that stuff went down?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »

And here I thought we were going to avoid the Godwin-ing of this thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

And here I thought we were going to avoid the Godwin-ing of this thread.

Once it's in effect it cannot be undone. All that's left is a quick and painfull spiral into madness.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2010, 02:32:50 pm »

In talking about any other conflict or war that statement would be a lot less ludicrous.

Cause like, the allies in WW2 didn't really commit any genocidal atrocities against mankind, or try to conquer the world through ruthless agression. Or do you think that most of the nazi soldiers were on leave when that stuff went down?

Yes because stating that overpricing games and pushing your workers to work harder is, you know, quite a lot worse then Dresden ever was?

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

yo brb making sure the firebombing of dresden, japanese internment camps etc aren't just figments of my imagination

edit: confirmed, they happened.

I'm not sure why you think some guy guarding an internment camp because he was told to and hey, if he didn't maybe he could just join the prisoners or be sent to the frontlines - a lot of good that will do his family/country - is as bad as the people actively torturing/ordering these people being sent to internment camps.
I suppose it was pretty OK for every soldier to serve in Vietnam to be called a baby killer and rapist/murderer because a couple of squads went apeshit under extreme pressure and massacred a few villages.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:38:36 pm by Chutney »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2010, 02:48:36 pm »

I think the difference you'll find is that the ratio to compeletely innocent guys in the wrong place Vs people who did horrible horrible things was probobly wildly different between the nazis and non-nazis.

I mean I could be wrong, I suppose it's entirely possible that like 90% of the nazi army was totally not cool with everything they did, and like hid in a cupboard for most of the war. They probobly clocked off from work and wen't and hueg out with their extensive network of jewish friends and talked about how "we're still cool right? I mean it's just a job." Probobly, right?

Yes because stating that overpricing games and pushing your workers to work harder is, you know, quite a lot worse then Dresden ever was?

I neither made the comparison between Kotick and nazis, nor am commenting or referencing it at all. I'm not even sure why you're talking about it, as it's clearly not the topic at hand anymore now the threads been Godwin'd.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:05 pm »

I was just making a stab at the fact that the thread got Godwinned, don't take it too harsh ;)

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »

the "nazi army" (german army during world war II) was NOT entirely members of the Nazi Party. You don't understand how the military works, apparently, if you think a large number of soldiers weren't completely unsettled/disgusted by what they had to do. Soldiers do what they are told. They are trained to be obedient and disciplined. It is what makes them soldiers rather than people with guns. If you are a soldier, and you receive word from your CO that you you have to round up some Jews to send them to an internment camp, you have two choices:
1) do it and feel guilty as hell for the rest of your life
2) don't do it and get courtmarshalled - possibly sent to that internment camp as well.
Of course, you joined the army for a reason (to protect your country? to make sure your family is safe in unsure times? to bring honor and pride back to your people? to kill people?) so, option 2) is counterproductive and could ruin your life so w/e

http://www.wisegeek.com/were-there-non-nazi-german-soldiers-in-wwii.htm oh look. Most of the wehrmacht were not nazis! in...interesting!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9