Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.  (Read 16061 times)

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:59 am »

i say zat ve do somezeeng about zees! get out your peetchforks, ladies and gentlemen. ve are going to murder every employ zat acteevision has!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:54 am »

It's not shady business practice. It's the exact opposite. He's being very transparent about how he appeals to the less caring gamers and how he pushes his men into hard work.

I don't hate the man. I hate the system. If you fire him, how will you know that someone else equally bad (and less transparent) won't replace him? CEOs like that have been torturing their customers and employees for years now. Just half a decade ago, there were complaints that game devs were sleeping under their desks to meet deadlines.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2010, 08:29:46 am »

preeciselee! zat is vy ve must murder ALL of hees cronies!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2010, 03:58:50 am »

To be fair, He is doing is job. His job is to make money for the shareholders. He is Succeeding.

If he ups the prices of games and pumps out shitty games it is as much his fault as everyone who buys those games, which make him able to do just that.

I don't like Kotick, but if his plans work, the problem isn't Kotick.

Agreed, the problem are the idiots buying the shitty games making the devs think GEE, WE SHOULD DO THAT AGAIN!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2010, 07:13:34 am »

To be fair, He is doing is job. His job is to make money for the shareholders. He is Succeeding.

If he ups the prices of games and pumps out shitty games it is as much his fault as everyone who buys those games, which make him able to do just that.

I don't like Kotick, but if his plans work, the problem isn't Kotick.

Agreed, the problem are the idiots buying the shitty games making the devs think GEE, WE SHOULD DO THAT AGAIN!
The problem is, some of those games used to be good and manages to shore up enough popularity to lasso in the casual fanbois.  Effective marketing doesn't hurt.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:04 am »

Speaking of running companies into the ground, it's amazing how a lot of great companies in the industry died - Microprose, Interplay, Midway, Bullfrog, that company that made Evil Genius. Game industry has a short lifespan.

That's because making good games doesn't work. The only reason why Nintendo and Attari have outlasted Bullfrog and Westwood is because the former are prepared to make bad games at a low price and sell them high, while the later spend tons of money on making a tripple-A title that doesn't sell well enough to cover it's expenses*.

*Note that this is not exclusive to game developers. Remember the crappy overpriced watches that are made a dime a dozen in china and sold for half the price of a Rolex here? Remember the factory meat sold in most supermarkets made from chickens that have never had more then a square inch of personal space? Cut on quality, cut on production costs, exploit your work force and rip off suppliers, that's how you make a profit.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:31:23 am by Virex »

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2010, 11:32:09 am »

Speaking of running companies into the ground, it's amazing how a lot of great companies in the industry died - Microprose, Interplay, Midway, Bullfrog, that company that made Evil Genius. Game industry has a short lifespan.

That's because making good games doesn't work. The only reason why Nintendo and Attari have outlasted Bullfrog and Westwood is because the former are prepared to make bad games at a low price and sell them high, while the later spend tons of money on making a tripple-A title that doesn't sell well enough to cover it's expenses*.
From what I've seen, good games do make money, and the ones that don't are usually awesome concepts, with great implementation, that run out of time and/or money and get pushed out the door in a half-assed "nowhere near ready for release" form, with crippling bugs and an overall unpolished feel.

*Note that this is not exclusive to game developers. Remember the crappy overpriced watches that are made a dime a dozen in china and sold for half the price of a Rolex here?
Never seen one, but I have seen a lot of $10-20 watches made in china, that both look and work great (my last watch being one of them, which lasted three years of wearing every day until the clasp broke and it wouldn't close anymore; kept time to within a few seconds over the span of months, too)

Remember the factory meat sold in most supermarkets made from chickens that have never had more then a square inch of personal space? Cut on quality, cut on production costs, exploit your work force and rip off suppliers, that's how you make a profit.
Chicken's chicken once it's dead and cooked. What should it matter whether it suffered in life or not? Sure as hell doesn't taste worse for it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »

You know, the only real franchise I'm worried about is Final Fantasy. This is because it actually is starting to reach the exaggerated number of sequals you'd find in rants of old.

I mean, seriously, enough is enough.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:20 pm »

Saying he's just doing his job is the same as the saying the German Soldiers in WW2 where just doing theirs, or following orders. Or saying a Hitman is just doing his. If you do a bad thing it doesnt matter if doing that bad thing is your job, its still a bad thing.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »

Yeah, except his job is legal.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:31 pm »

Saying he's just doing his job is the same as the saying the German Soldiers in WW2 where just doing theirs, or following orders.
German soldier != nazi party supporter or villain. A lot of them WERE just following orders. It's the ones that went 'above and beyond' the call of duty that are sick, criminal bastards.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:52 pm »

So where the soldiers in WW2, the CEO's of BP, loggers and other people.

Some where drafted, others had other military experience yet were no longer in duty.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:22:32 pm by Huesoo »

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »

There IS a difference between "doing bad things because you will be hella punished if you don't", ie military service and "doing bad things because they maximize profit", you realize?
Soldiers have to follow the command structure. CEO's of BP ARE the command structure. I don't know why you bring loggers here? They are doing their job. Providing lumber for everyone else. Unless lumber is evil?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

Loggers? Is wood a bad thing now?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 02, 2010, 12:33:20 pm »

Oh wait nevermind that, I meant illegal loggers. So that one is void for the list.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9