Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.  (Read 16081 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:30 am »

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: I hate Bobby Kotick and he is killing the industry.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:35 am »

To be fair, He is doing is job. His job is to make money for the shareholders. He is Succeeding.

If he ups the prices of games and pumps out shitty games it is as much his fault as everyone who buys those games, which make him able to do just that.

I don't like Kotick, but if his plans work, the problem isn't Kotick.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:42:28 am »

Is it just me or is this guy the stereotypical evil businessman?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:51:21 am »

Yeah, I don't blame Kotick. I blame the system. Mostly the investment system. It's designed for short term gains - not the best way to be running an entertainment industry. They're milking everything out of innovation, maximizing short term profits. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank when Activision collapses and he gets fired with a fat severance paycheck.

He's not really the problem, just a symptom. He's just playing the business game the way it's supposed to be played. Look at all the other big companies - EA, Atari, Bioware, Blizzard, Ubisoft... and tell me that they love their customers.

The current business model just fucks up the game industry.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 12:31:53 pm »

This is a huge problem in the film industry, music industry and TV industry. Art and entertainment should not be beholden to profit, or in the thrall of buisnessmen.

The really sad thing is that stuff like this creates a huge sense of dissatisfaction within the audience, in this case gamers. Noone wants to be told they're being treated as a walking wallet, or that their entertainment is entirely designed around getting their money, instead of entertaining them.

Entertainment and art should be an interaction between the artist/entertainer, and the audience. Both benefit from the relationship. When you throw a buisnessman into the mix he'll get between the two, mediating how they interact. "Make games shorter, pay more for this, you need more peripherals, this game sold well so make it like that, etc" and eventually only he's benefitting in any real way. Again, look at the music and film industries to see how this plays out.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »

1. Stop making threads OP.
2. OH GAWD SOMEONE IS DOING THEIR JOB! OH NO A BUSINESS MAKING MONEY? OH GAWD EVIL EVIL! CAPITALISM IS GUD BUT FUCK ANY COMPANY THAT DOES WELL AND MAKES MONEY! OH GAWD NO!

Seriously, get real.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:55:07 pm »

2. OH GAWD SOMEONE IS DOING THEIR JOB! OH NO A BUSINESS MAKING MONEY? OH GAWD EVIL EVIL! CAPITALISM IS GUD BUT FUCK ANY COMPANY THAT DOES WELL AND MAKES MONEY! OH GAWD NO!

Seriously, get real.

Did you even read the link? Educate yourself and learn how to contribute.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

Mildly agree.

Seriously, get real.
His exact methods are, quite openly stated (by himself, no less), "reduce quality, raise prices, squash innovation, and torment employees". He's not just the quintessential soulless businessman; he's the living embodiment of malevolent, short sighted greed.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:02:12 pm »

Yeah, I don't blame Kotick. I blame the system. Mostly the investment system. It's designed for short term gains - not the best way to be running an entertainment industry. They're milking everything out of innovation, maximizing short term profits. He'll be laughing all the way to the bank when Activision collapses and he gets fired with a fat severance paycheck.

He's not really the problem, just a symptom. He's just playing the business game the way it's supposed to be played. Look at all the other big companies - EA, Atari, Bioware, Blizzard, Ubisoft... and tell me that they love their customers.

The current business model just fucks up the game industry.

Blizzard is being run by Bobby, in everything except for the code that goes into their games. Lets face it, Blizzard has a VERY good track record, and does seriously listen to its fan base.

EA, well, they're EA. Bioware isn't too bad except for the massive and horribly intrusive DRM, but that's almost understandable. Haven't been keeping track of Atari and Ubisoft though.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:03:30 pm »

Maybe the choice quotes of the event, though, came when Kotick talked about Activision’s developers; you know, the guys who actually make the stuff he gets so rich from. You’d think he’d have a bit of respect for them, right? Oh no, Kotick’s goal over the past 10 years has been – you couldn’t make this up – “to take all the fun out of making video games.” How? By instilling a culture of “scepticism, pessimism, and fear” amongst the company’s staff based around the economic depression and an incentive program that rewards “profit and nothing else”.

Does anyone have this quote in context?

Saint/Sir P:

Quote from: Henry Ford
There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.

That's non-evil capitalism.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »

Maybe the choice quotes of the event, though, came when Kotick talked about Activision’s developers; you know, the guys who actually make the stuff he gets so rich from. You’d think he’d have a bit of respect for them, right? Oh no, Kotick’s goal over the past 10 years has been – you couldn’t make this up – “to take all the fun out of making video games.” How? By instilling a culture of “scepticism, pessimism, and fear” amongst the company’s staff based around the economic depression and an incentive program that rewards “profit and nothing else”.

Saint/Sir P:

There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.

Thank you, this is why I hate the man.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »

I remember reading it, back when it was plastered everywhere. It didn't sound any better in context, which was, if memory serves, something along the lines of "when I came here, everyone was great at making games, but all those programmers and artists didn't know shit about accounting and management. I'm proud to have taken all the fun out of making games". The sentiment is both sadistic and nonsensical (complaining that people whose jobs are not accounting or management don't know how to be accountants or managers, but are otherwise quite skilled at the job they fucking have), bordering on Stupid Evil.

Saint/Sir P:

Why was I included there? I mildly agreed that heusoo should stop starting threads like this, but if anything that quote only serves to emphasize my argument against Kotick by contrasting with his methods ("lowest quality, highest prices").

Blizzard is being run by Bobby, in everything except for the code that goes into their games. Lets face it, Blizzard has a VERY good track record, and does seriously listen to its fan base.
Blizzard has always been unoriginal, what with two of their... three? big series being blatant clones of warhammer/warhammer 40k, and I've seen no indication they ever listened to their fans, though admittedly I've only seen them as Actiblizzard, taking actions entirely in line with Kotick's insanity.

EA, well, they're EA. Bioware isn't too bad except for the massive and horribly intrusive DRM, but that's almost understandable. Haven't been keeping track of Atari and Ubisoft though.
EA's actually getting better, though that only elevates them to a level of "horrible and malevolent", as opposed to their previous/actiblizzard/Kotick's current "satan made flesh" status. Bioware's got enough clout to survive in EA, though their quality is necessarily degraded by the demands placed on them by EA. I haven't heard anything unusual about their DRM... are you sure you're not thinking of Ubisoft, with it's certifiably batshit insane "always on" DRM?

Is Atari even still around? I haven't heard anything about them recently.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:38:45 pm »

Blizzard has always been unoriginal, what with two of their... three? big series being blatant clones of warhammer/warhammer 40k, and I've seen no indication they ever listened to their fans, though admittedly I've only seen them as Actiblizzard, taking actions entirely in line with Kotick's insanity.
They may be unoriginal, but they made some damn good games in their time.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »

Whats wrong with my threads?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:52 pm »

I'm so mad I'm going to boycott every major Activision game.

And by boycott, I of course mean I'll join a "BOYCOTT THIS GAME" group on Steam and then preorder the game.

It's just like the article said, he can afford to be a cartoon villain because gamers don't have the restraint to say no to him.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:08:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9