Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brass vs. Billon  (Read 4297 times)

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
Brass vs. Billon
« on: July 29, 2010, 05:28:27 am »

so, we've got an alloy of equal parts Copper and Zinc, and an alloy of equal parts Copper and Silver.  The value of Copper is 2, of Zinc is 2, and of Silver is 10.  The value of Brass (Copper+Zinc) is 7.  The value of Billon (Copper+Silver) is 6.

... how does this work?  I can see 2+10=12, 12/2=6.  But how is the value of brass, an alloy which should be valued at 2 by that same reasoning, valued at 7?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Brass vs. Billon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:06 am »

some alloys are worth more then the seperate ingredients.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:45 am »

Brass is just better alloy to produce if you need value, no reason for all of them to be the same.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:45:38 am »

It's because Brass has more useful material properties in RL than Billon. Hence, the final product that is brass should be more expensive than the sum of its parts. Just like steel!
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:33:29 am »

Is there any use for billion? I personally would rather make things out of silver.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:39:43 am »

Is there any use for billion? I personally would rather make things out of silver.
I have a noble that keeps demanding billon items. Other than that, probably not.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:49:05 am »

I have a noble that keeps demanding billon items. Other than that, probably not.

Like with most other alloys the only uses are satisfing mandates, satisfing dwarf material preferences, satisfing player material preferences (I must make nickel silver tower! ;)), or if you want stuff to be made from specific color (rose gold and black bronze are useful for that).
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 04:25:59 pm »

It's also used to stretch your silver supplies if you happen to have a shortage. This is mostly irrelevant at the moment because materials are so very common.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 04:44:17 pm »

I tend to use billon fairly often since I wind up with so much tetrahedrite on my embark sites and it's a fairly cost effective way to make some fairly nice furniture while saving more useful metals for other things.

It also seemed like a lot of nobles really liked it in 40d for whatever reason so I got in the habit of using it a lot anyway.