Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I caught a giant?  (Read 1137 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
So I caught a giant?
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:19:49 am »

Just like it says.  I have a giantess in a cage.  What the heck do I do with her?  If I let her loose on my military is she likely to result it good training exercise or is she going to stomp my dwarves flat like tuna cans? 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
Re: So I caught a giant?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

Choose the 'tame large creature' job in a kennel and see if you can tame the giant(it should show up in a list if you can tame it). If you can't build the cage in a pit, connect a lever to it, then feed goblins to your new invader disposal unit.

Also, make sure your pit isn't near where your dwarves normally are. You don't want them freaking out whenever they walk past.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:29:02 am by Keuran »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:08 am »

Sadly I cannot tame her.

Choose the 'tame large creature' job in a kennel and see if you can tame the giant(it should show up in a list if you can tame it). If you can't build the cage in a pit, connect a lever to it, then feed goblins to your new invader guest disposal unit.

Fixed.

I like the goblin pit idea.  I'll strip them of goblinite first because I can't think of any way to partition the pit off so I could block her into one side.  Being a building destroyer she would just smash down any doors or floodgates I might install, yes?

edit: It's pretty funny watching my dwarves try to move her cage around.  I guess she's pretty heavy because they move one tile every five seconds or so while carrying her cage around.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:18:24 am by ledgekindred »
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:56:40 pm »

they move one tile every five seconds
2 FPS? AFAIK the speed of cage hauling isn't related to the weight of it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »

The hauling speed of any object is related to how heavy the object is, and I'm pretty sure that the weight of a cage includes the weight of its contents.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »

I can't quite pinpoint why, but this thread makes me happy.

Maybe it's how my mind immediately went to ways to contain the giantess without using constructions while still allowing access to the equipment of the dead folk.  Here's the best I could come up with, and still it's only theoretical - my knowledge of flows and fluid mechanics are fairly limited.

Side view:
_____ 1 ___________
|             ___X_ 2
|            |
|   ____3____|
|   |
|   |
|   |________
5__4__________

Points of Interest:
1) Big ole' hole!  It's where you throw things that you want to die
X) A Floodgate!
2) A reservoir!
3) The Giant!
4) Baggage Claim!
5) Drainage!

Once the slaughter is complete, the floodgate is opened.  Water flows, rinsing down the arena and sending the contents down the pit to the left.  Hopefully there is a point where there's enough water flow to drag the lighter items away while leaving the giant unmoved.  Again, my knowledge of DF Fluid Dynamics is limited.  Also, I suppose there is a risk of the giant or a goblin dodging and falling down the garbage chute. I'd imagine that you can make that high enough to splatter anything that does fall though.

Thoughts?

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:13:17 pm »

The hauling speed of any object is related to how heavy the object is, and I'm pretty sure that the weight of a cage includes the weight of its contents.

It's certainly related to the weight of the cage because the same dwarves carry other things just fine and I'm getting around 45-50fps.  She's just a biggun.

I can't quite pinpoint why, but this thread makes me happy.

Maybe it's how my mind immediately went to ways to contain the giantess without using constructions while still allowing access to the equipment of the dead folk.

:D

This is why I love DF.

Once the slaughter is complete, the floodgate is opened.  Water flows, rinsing down the arena and sending the contents down the pit to the left.  Hopefully there is a point where there's enough water flow to drag the lighter items away while leaving the giant unmoved.  Again, my knowledge of DF Fluid Dynamics is limited.  Also, I suppose there is a risk of the giant or a goblin dodging and falling down the garbage chute. I'd imagine that you can make that high enough to splatter anything that does fall though.

Thoughts?

I "accidentally" had a similar setup when some goblins (and a Human Diplomat, but that's another thing...) fell into the  pond I use to supply my well.  My marksdwarves killed the goblins, and then I had corpses and goblinite floating around in the pond.  I opened up the floodgates to wash it all down the tunnel leading to my well reservoir, but it only partially washed everything down to where I could reach it.  I'm not sure how reliable this system would be.  Of course, being constructed, there would be a more direct path flushing down the combat area versus the pond which is irregularly shaped.   

I also have no idea what behaviour the giant might have.  I know building destroyers are supposed to beeline towards the nearest construction, so she might either flop up against the wall trying to get to the floodgate (which would actually be a good way of exploiting a building destroyer's desire to go to the nearest building and keep her from washing away) but I suspect the pathfinding would probably prevent her from paying attention to it.  So she might just try jumping down from the ledge and running towards the drainage.  I'd like to see how long I could keep her around - she promises to be excellent ongoing entertainment since goblins keep winding up in my cage traps - so I'd be sad if she lept down and splatted just to get to the door leading into the baggage claim.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:28:00 am »

My suggestion? Experiment. Back up your current save, and then try different techniques until you find one that both works and is awesome.

And if you're really worried about the giant pathing down the pit to the nearest construction, have that nearest construction be the sole support of a cave section. That way even if things go wrong you dont have to worry about her getting free and wrecking up the place.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:29:27 am »

I wound up just stripping the goblins and chucking them in a pit I built.  It was getting late and I wanted carnage!  It's still quite fun.  The goblins run around and around until the giant catches them, and then she beats the ever-lovin crap outta them.  Best is when I can get more than one goblin in at once.  The ones not being crushed run around scared until she finishes with her first one and then starts pounding the next one.

Combat logs show that against one goblin, after punching and breaking both his legs, she gripped him by the upper-left back tooth and then punched in the arm and broke that.  Then she strangled him to death.  Now that is entertainment.