Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vanishing Hirelings (Adventure Mode)  (Read 2107 times)

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vanishing Hirelings (Adventure Mode)
« on: July 28, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »

One minute he was there with me, hobbling along on his yellow limbs, and then after a fast travel... POOF! Gone. And I was just starting to get attached to my poor human meatshield... :-\

I hired another two hirelings to replace him and one of them has since also vanished. I never got any death notices: they just disappeared!

Has this happened to anyone else?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vanishing Hirelings (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:22:13 pm »

I lost my snakeman buddy somewhere in a kobold cave, and he was gone when I traveled away.  Maybe companions don't travel with you if they aren't within a certain distance when you leave?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »

It happens when they are knocked out or very injured I think.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:35:52 am »

You won't get combat reports regarding your companions if they are off-screen, and they won't travel with you(presumably returning home) if you are too far from them. Exactly how far is too far I don't know, but a days travel(I recieved no drowsiness warnings and only ate and drank once each) through the underground after ditching your cave swallow-man companions to cross a lake (idiots could have just flown over, utterly ridiculous) is apparently too far.
I had disappearing companion problems earlier in that cavern journey when my two dwarf buddies ran of to beat up a blind cave bear, and I stepped out of sight for but an instant or something, and poof, he was gone. Same thing happened with the other dwarf when she suddenly rushed off to fight a group of pond grabbers(immediately after the other disappeared, isn't this Fun?). I found and killed the pond grabbers, but never found her corpse, anything, not even any blood in the water. This is why the tracking feature that will be coming along eventually is so important, need to figure out if they walk away, are deleted from the game, or are instantly teleported home (I never returned to the site I recruited them from, toady alone knows if they wereshould have been there)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:37:28 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »

You won't get combat reports regarding your companions if they are off-screen, and they won't travel with you(presumably returning home) if you are too far from them. Exactly how far is too far I don't know, but a days travel(I recieved no drowsiness warnings and only ate and drank once each) through the underground after ditching your cave swallow-man companions to cross a lake (idiots could have just flown over, utterly ridiculous) is apparently too far.
I had disappearing companion problems earlier in that cavern journey when my two dwarf buddies ran of to beat up a blind cave bear, and I stepped out of sight for but an instant or something, and poof, he was gone. Same thing happened with the other dwarf when she suddenly rushed off to fight a group of pond grabbers(immediately after the other disappeared, isn't this Fun?). I found and killed the pond grabbers, but never found her corpse, anything, not even any blood in the water. This is why the tracking feature that will be coming along eventually is so important, need to figure out if they walk away, are deleted from the game, or are instantly teleported home (I never returned to the site I recruited them from, toady alone knows if they wereshould have been there)

Did anyone check the legends mode entry for lost companions to see if a death was generated for them?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:10 pm »

Not I. I couldn't while my adventure was in progress, and I've since rolled up a new world. If it happens again, though, I will post my findings :-)

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 08:03:53 am »

We were wandering a town ruins when I lost my, slightly injured, drunken buddy with A.D.D. when he decided to chase some cougar or wolf. Tried to find him but failed and he didn't reappaer when I 'T'raveled.

After some time (questing, wandering caves) I noticed that the ruined town where I lost him has changed Icon and was apparently occupied. When I searched around, I found ol' Drunky McLostAlot all to happy to see me once again and join up (Probably ran up to me in slow motion, in tears and with dramatic BGM playing).

Didn't save the encounter but decided to check the Legends for more info and:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes...he became temporary(?) king/mayor of his own little (desolate) town and apparently took out "brutes" himself. Guess he had his own little adventure.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:02 am »

I've had this occur as well, what seems to happen is one of my companions run after a creature that's just a hair faster than them and they continue running after them (presumably forever).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »

Did anyone check the legends mode entry for lost companions to see if a death was generated for them?

I should have, but i couldn't remember their names in the first place. And cave swallowmen aren't going to appear in the legends until they've killed something, which neither of those two had.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58:17 pm »

I appear to ave double-posted, sorry  :-[

I've had this occur as well, what seems to happen is one of my companions run after a creature that's just a hair faster than them and they continue running after them (presumably forever).

That doesn't really account for the disappearance of my dwarves though, cave bears and pond grabbers will not run away from a fight(even the grabbers will attack you outright) until very badly injured, at which point they're unlikely to be capable of outrunning even the stoutest dwarf. They seriously did just vanish, not even a trace of blood. maybe the water had flow and washed the blood away, and finding blood in the mud is difficult, but I honestly searched pretty hard, having recruited them specifically to accompany me in the caverns.

Well, gang, looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 07:01:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 05:26:02 am »

This happens quite alot, as your hirelings run off to fight EVERYTHING. But if they live, you can catch them in 'T'ravel... its hard, but they come up as the '_' icon for the pack of animals, and they just wander out of the blue to follow you another day.

happened to me with modded dwarves, [SPEED:1] tag, I was a human though, and later they were beat to death by a cyclops off screen while I was fighting an ettin with two other humans. funny though, cause they both had taken out bronze colossi by bangin on it while i chipped it away...

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 06:39:00 pm »

I should have, but i couldn't remember their names in the first place. And cave swallowmen aren't going to appear in the legends until they've killed something, which neither of those two had.
That's not true. Animal men are listed in legends once they get recruted! I've had several in there that didn't do anything since I got them to follow me.