Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elves want me to limit tree-cutting  (Read 4659 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves want me to limit tree-cutting
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:28 am »

So the elf caravan came and they asked me to stop cutting down so many tree. I agree because I don't want to make enemies since I don't have an army or particularly good fortifications.

Hoooo boy, do you have a lot to learn young one.

Also, this is DF2010. No need for complicated magma/drowning chambers, just order your military to hack 'em to bits.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:43 pm »

updating this thread. 40d version question.

got the elf diplomat. he's meeting with my baron. i get the "too many trees" comment. i pause.

which will piss them off faster/more:  cutting more trees down after he leaves, or just killing the diplomat?
sidenote - i killed the caravan last year, as they only bring me cloth and toys now. if you can't bring my sparring weapons, i have no need for you.

*edit*
didn't want to wait for an answer, as all he said was the warning. so i killed him. am i doing it right?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:09:26 pm by dieinafire »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 05:30:47 pm »

As I understand it they're pretty weak with those wooden weapons. But I've got a good thing going with this fort I don't want to screw it up too early.

Do you think an army of 4 or 5 with iron weapons/armor and a couple of war dogs is sufficient to deal with an Elf attack?

Don't even worry about it. You could do everything possible to piss off the Elves in your first few years and they still won't attack you. In my most recent fort, I've seized the merchants goods several times. I've constantly violated the tree limit. I've even murdered their merchants for no reason. And yet every year the caravans still come. You have to go out of your way to pointlessly torture them every year to cause them to attack you. I
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:40 pm »

If you press "c" to see the civilization list, select the elves, then tab around through their nonsense you can see your tree cut quota.

I've read that it's based upon stockpile counts and all that, but in fact the number seems to decrement at the moment a tree is cut.

I don't know if it decrements if you get a tree via caravan.

I also don't know if the elves even care.  I went over my quota and they ignored it.  There are other threads talking about how you can abuse elves like crazy and they won't notice.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »

Does the tree count only decrease for aboveground trees? That was my problem in 40d, what was the point of tree farms if they whine about felling towercaps too?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 03:35:33 pm »

Does the tree count only decrease for aboveground trees? That was my problem in 40d, what was the point of tree farms if they whine about felling towercaps too?

They're elves. If they were reasonable they wouldn't have tree quotas to begin with. From the wiki:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 05:46:34 pm »

It's the old 40d tree diplomat, who used to come only when a baron was around but now it happens much faster.

Secret: unless it's been re-written (doubtful), the diplomat doesn't actually care how many trees you cut down. What he counts is how many logs you've got on the map. So if you cut down every tree and turn every one of them into a barrel/bin/bed leaving less than 100 left, he'll be happy.
It has been rewritten and now actually tracks the number of chopped trees.

As for this particular thing, you have to really, really try to get the elves to attack. And then you have to try harder. Additionally, it is generally considered beneficial to piss the elves off because that results in them bringing less high value per weight items and more low value per weight items -- which sounds bad, except the "high value per weight" means cloth and "low value per weight" means tamed exotic animals. Get them angry enough and they might just bring a breeding pair of giant eagles and then you'll be sorry! They'll show you, you mongrel treecutter you!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »

As for this particular thing, you have to really, really try to get the elves to attack. And then you have to try harder. Additionally, it is generally considered beneficial to piss the elves off because that results in them bringing less high value per weight items and more low value per weight items -- which sounds bad, except the "high value per weight" means cloth and "low value per weight" means tamed exotic animals. Get them angry enough and they might just bring a breeding pair of giant eagles and then you'll be sorry! They'll show you, you mongrel treecutter you!

Myth: Elves consider cloth to be worth more per weight and thus bring more of it when they're happy. This is false.

Fact: When caravans load their pack animals and wagons, items in bins are loaded first (technically, they're loaded immediately after any goods you requested from the liaison or merchant noble), and trade goods are mostly distributed evenly throughout the various categories (metal bars, crafts, cages/animals, buckets, clothes, weapons, armor, cloth, leather, booze/barrels, extracts, meat, plants, cheese, etc.); thus, if a very happy civilization decides to bring so many trade goods that the allotted cloth and leather bins are enough to fully encumber their animals and/or wagons, then that's all they'll bring. This was notoriously easy to do in 40d with the Elves because they didn't bring wagons, and 50+ bins of cloth was more than enough to fully encumber all of their pack animals - if you allowed said animals to carry more (which is pretty much how it's working in 0.31), you'd get a vast amount of trade goods covering the full assortment of types.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]