Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elves want me to limit tree-cutting  (Read 4655 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves want me to limit tree-cutting
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »

So the elf caravan came and they asked me to stop cutting down so many tree. I agree because I don't want to make enemies since I don't have an army or particularly good fortifications. So I can cut down maybe another 100 or so.

I assume if I cut down anymore than the number I agreed to they will siege my fortress?

Has anyone come across this? How can I even tell how many tree I'm cutting down without counting them manually on the screen?

Also, when besides talking to me about trees the trade caravan came and left without giving me the option to trade. I had my broker at the depot and everything. Not sure if that has something to do with the tree thing or is a bug or what.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves want me to limit tree-cutting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:27 pm »

Never happened to me but if i were you i would cut down all of the trees on the map. What are a bunch of tree hugging elves going to do?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »

With liaison/diplomat bugs fixed, this DF 40dXX feature is restored to the 2010 version!
If you piss them off, like chop loads of trees and loot their caravan 3 times they'll send some squads to attack you, I guess.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:45:07 pm »

It's the old 40d tree diplomat, who used to come only when a baron was around but now it happens much faster.

Secret: unless it's been re-written (doubtful), the diplomat doesn't actually care how many trees you cut down. What he counts is how many logs you've got on the map. So if you cut down every tree and turn every one of them into a barrel/bin/bed leaving less than 100 left, he'll be happy.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:46:03 pm »

As I understand it they're pretty weak with those wooden weapons. But I've got a good thing going with this fort I don't want to screw it up too early.

Do you think an army of 4 or 5 with iron weapons/armor and a couple of war dogs is sufficient to deal with an Elf attack?

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »

I had this happen to me yesterday. I told him to go hug a tree while they were still there to hug.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:54:57 pm »

I think the important question is this...

What pisses off the androgynes, beardless, tree-hugging pussies more... Refusing to limit woodcutting or saying that you will but not actually doing it?

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:23 pm »

I actually thought that myself before doing it, and then decided, I don't care either way, i need those trees!
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:05 pm »

See... I need the trees either way, but I also want to piss off the elves.  I'm already offering them wood products before sieging anything of value (read: anything edible) from their caravans, but I feel I could be doing more. (without actively destroying caravans)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:57 pm »

It's the old 40d tree diplomat, who used to come only when a baron was around but now it happens much faster.

Secret: unless it's been re-written (doubtful), the diplomat doesn't actually care how many trees you cut down. What he counts is how many logs you've got on the map. So if you cut down every tree and turn every one of them into a barrel/bin/bed leaving less than 100 left, he'll be happy.

I don't think that's ever been true - in 40d (and possibly even in 23a), if you look at your [c]iv screen, select the Elven civ, and hit TAB enough times, you can view your current tree quota: each time you cut down a tree, the number will decrease, and if you cut down too many it will go negative and display in red to signify that you violated the quota.

In all likelihood, violating a logging quota is a much worse offense than simply refusing one.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:46:19 am »

kill the elves

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:04:41 am »

Don't let those things push you around,cut them down alongside their woody friends.

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:18:02 am »

Pressing "c" for the civ screen, then choosing the elves, then pressing tab a few times still work. You can see your wood quota, as the number of trees you can still cut.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:37:15 am »

if the elves act like they did in 40d, then they only count lumber lying about as "felled" trees. This means if you have cut 200 pieces of lumber since they last arrived, but have used all but 10 of it, you've felled 10 trees according to them.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:05 am »

After selecting the civilisation is it meant to say Dwarf Fortress on the heading at the very top of the screen where it should still say civilisations?
Pages: [1] 2