Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12886 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

I have no experience with the various different kitty cats and how to support them, so would I need to do two separate releases for each one?  Or is this something that would compile on mine once (I'm on 10.4.11) and work back to 10.3 up to 10.4?  I'm interested in whatever fixes people have, provided they are released under a suitable license (BSD, etc).  I'm at toadyone@bay12games.com.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Okay, I've put up a preliminary version of mattmoss's port here.  There's a known issues text file with the application zip.  I don't really know what's going on with the glDeleteTextures() call.  Let me know if there are any other problems and we'll try to deal with them.  Once this is sorted out, we can move on to DF.

[ December 28, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]</STRONG>

I sent you an email about a fix for the glDeleteTextures issue.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by eli:
<STRONG>I played with it a bit more and adding the endian conversions after the fread() calls fixed the graphics on PowerPC.

The text input is also a bit wacko, I partly fixed it by taking out the cast to char on the Unicode value, but the virtual keycode lookup seems problematic. You can probably get away with it, but the table looks wrong, apparently OS X uses the keycodes from the good old Apple Extended Keyboard 2 as described here keycodes from OS X.

All of my changes were limited to enabler_osx.cpp, let me know if you'd like the new file.</STRONG>

Yeah, the text input is a bit wacko... It's been a while since I've done regular Mac coding, and a lot has changed. I was trying to just get from the mac key codes to windows, to keep as much of the port work in enabler_osx rather than scattered elsewhere through the code. (I certainly don't write cross-platform code this way, but in this instance, it seemed better to try and isolate the mac stuff that start telling Toady how to rearrange everything.

But hey, another Mac-head lookin' at my code is just fine.     :D

EDIT: Oh, and on the endianness issue...  Doing the porting work on an Intel mac meant I could leave that to last...  since I try not to mix sources of potential problems. Once that was finished, I had planned to go back and fix then endian stuff for PPC. I haven't yet looked to see how Toady was reading
things in... as text, structured, or as binary blobs dumped into structures. Each requires different endian-ness handling, and it's not difficult stuff, just needs to be looked at.

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: mattmoss ]

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Okay, I've put up a preliminary version of mattmoss's port here.  There's a known issues text file with the application zip.  I don't really know what's going on with the glDeleteTextures() call.  Let me know if there are any other problems and we'll try to deal with them.  Once this is sorted out, we can move on to DF.

[ December 28, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]</STRONG>

I can download and unzip the archive for the game, but the source/project zip file isn't working for me...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

Is the source zip working now?  I think my FTP might have crapped out while it was sending before.

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mattmoss:
<STRONG>

Yeah, the text input is a bit wacko...
but in this instance, it seemed better to try and isolate the mac stuff that start telling Toady how to rearrange everything.

But hey, another Mac-head lookin' at my code is just fine.       :D

EDIT: Oh, and on the endianness issue...  Doing the porting work on an Intel mac meant I could leave that to last...  
[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: mattmoss ]</STRONG>

I agree the endian thing isn't a priority, I just needed to put it in to verify that my 10.3 fix worked.

I'm 90% sure the keycode stuff you did actually will work when the table is adjusted, even if it is wacko. I agree that it's much better to have code that's easy for Toady One to integrate than code that's 100% kosher OS X approved but ends requiring extra hoops.

I emailed Toady One, but for anyone else following along it will be very easy for him to build a single Universal application that supports 10.3 and later on PowerPC and intel (at least for Kobold Quest).

Also, big thanks to mattmoss for doing all the work. Nobody should think that me calling something wacko is an actual criticism of his code - more of a joke.    ;)

edit:typo

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: eli ]

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Is the source zip working now?  I think my FTP might have crapped out while it was sending before.</STRONG>

Yes, working now, thanks.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by eli:
<STRONG>

I'm 90% sure the keycode stuff you did actually will work when the table is adjusted, even if it is wacko. I agree that it's much better to have code that's easy for Toady One to integrate than code that's 100% kosher OS X approved but ends requiring extra hoops.
</STRONG>

I wonder if another solution is needed....  When you say "when the table is adjusted", do you mean that some of your keys are not mapping to what the game expects? E.g., the arrow keys aren't doing what they should, or something like that?

Because, aside from some missing ones and the general wonkiness of the code, the table seems fine on my computer.

I wonder if the keycodes I'm fetching are at too low a level to be consistent across different keyboard layouts/locales/manufactures? I should probably look at that stuff again... find a way that will be more consistent.

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mattmoss:
<STRONG>
I wonder if another solution is needed....  When you say "when the table is adjusted", do you mean that some of your keys are not mapping to what the game expects? E.g., the arrow keys aren't doing what they should, or something like that?
</STRONG>

Apologies, I was assuming the key table from that image was in hex, but it is actually decimal, and the keycodes you were getting are right. Sorry about that, I had just glanced at a few and they didn't seem to match. The other odd keycodes I was getting were the result of an endian issue, but removing the cast to char fixed those.

My impression is that the keycodes in OS X are all either identical to or auto-magically morphed into the old Apple Extended ones, in which case you're good to go on the translation.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

I got DF running today, minus various peripherals (movies/FPS counter...  highlighting on the designation menu for who knows what reason...).  I'm not sure when I'll put it up, since I want to fix the pieces that don't work and streamline the whole PC -> Mac process that would come with each release, but it looks like it'll definitely work.  I don't know how powerful my Mini is, so it's hard to judge what the speeds going to be like.  I'm getting vaguely 50 on a 6x6 with 7 dwarves at startup.

Charlie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

Just a tip here: I really wanted to play DF (sounds like a great game) but I have a mac, so I've been waiting for a while. However, then I installed Windows XP on my Macbook (using Boot Camp beta) and Dwarf Fortress runs GREAT.

~Charlie

taargus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

I can't wait to play. Thanks for going through all this work just so us mac users can play.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by taargus:
<STRONG>I can't wait to play. Thanks for going through all this work just so us mac users can play.</STRONG>

And you'd BETTER donate the $300 it cost him.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

I have no problem stating in public that I plan on donating $100 to Tarn once DF for Mac is released, and will blog about it encouraging others to donate as well.

-p

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>

And you'd BETTER donate the $300 it cost him.</STRONG>

I thought the Mini was donated to Toady?  I don't have a Mac but I support going multi-platform, its a good way to futureproof a game.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13