Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12887 times)

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>My brother and I drove around a while, but I guess they don't sell Apple computers around here and the nearest Apple store is in Seattle, so I got a mini online instead.  It will arrive whenever.  I suppose low availability is part of the Apple marketing strategy, unless they've been driven out of the local stores by force or something.</STRONG>

Apple has tried a few times in years back to have a retail presence without luck, until they started opening their current chain of Apple stores, and they do that slowly, choosing locations with care. There are occasional 3rd-party retailers that will sell Apple products... I know of two in my area... but that is pretty rare. Apple resellers generally have been online-only.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

Sorry for being  a newb, but what are differences in DF and Kobold's Quest?

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Sorry for being  a newb, but what are differences in DF and Kobold's Quest?</STRONG>

Well, they're quite different games. DF is much, much deeper than KQ. But, according to Toady, DF uses basically the same engine as KQ. So in porting KQ to another platform makes it easier and more likely that DF could be ported.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2007, 01:22:00 am »

I now have a Mac Mini.  It came with a few cables.  Now I need to dig up a monitor that will work in the mini and in the linux computer.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I now have a Mac Mini.  It came with a few cables.  Now I need to dig up a monitor that will work in the mini and in the linux computer.</STRONG>

Woo! Okay... I have some time off this week, so I'll get back to some more of the KQ porting and cleanup, and we can chat later about how you want to do this.

Additionally, the dev tools (XCode) are most likely not installed by default, but you should be able to pop in one of the discs that came with it and install XCode from there.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

I am posting this from the Mac Mini.  It came with a couple OS X install discs and a OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD, whatever that is.  I wonder if I have XCode.

edit:  I guess it's supposed to come on one of these DVDs.  I'll have to try to find it out without destroying something.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

edit:  Okay, I've installed XCode.  Everything seems to be working correctly.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

opx

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

I'm very much looking forward to this. Thanks for all the effort... much appreciated! By the way, is it just me or is the XCode installation somewhat fiddly (using Tiger, at least)? I hesitate to install it because i don't want to ruin my perfectly stable system.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 12, 2007, 04:58:00 pm »

I'm not sure if fiddly means something special on a Mac.  I had to open up the XCode folder on my OS DVD, click on an open box icon, and it did most of the rest on its own.  I maybe had to answer a question or two.  It didn't seem very dangerous, but I'm the last person to ask I guess.  Maybe somebody else knows.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

The Apple installation packages are basically as you said, Toady. Double-click, answer couple of questions (which are usually correct by default) and it does the rest.

Most 3rd party application installation is basically "drag application into Applications folder". Whee.

Toady, sorry I haven't replied yet with anything on my KQ work. I will shortly.... just typing up my turn for a succession game.   :D  It will be cool if I can get it running in OSX, since DF is about the only thing I reboot into XP for.

ErrorJustin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

As a mac user I am eagerly anticipating developments here!

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »

Ditto what Matt said about Dwarf Fortress being pretty much the only thing I reboot into XP for.  I'm super excited at the thought of a Mac port!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

Okay, I've put up a preliminary version of mattmoss's port here.  There's a known issues text file with the application zip.  I don't really know what's going on with the glDeleteTextures() call.  Let me know if there are any other problems and we'll try to deal with them.  Once this is sorted out, we can move on to DF.

[ December 28, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:00 pm »

It required a pretty simple fix to get it to run on 10.3.9, it would be harder to get it going on 10.2 and probably isn't worth the effort. The current binary seems to work fine on my 10.4 intel machine, after the 10.3 fix it seems to be running on my 10.3 PPC machine (I get key code messages) but I don't see any graphics. I would guess there's an endian bug in the graphics display, I'll take a quick look at it and see if anything is obvious.

10.3 fix below (file is enabler_osx.cpp, line 418)
---------------

code:

if (HIPointConvert != NULL)
{
   HIPointConvert(&hipt, kHICoordSpaceScreenPixel, NULL,
      kHICoordSpaceView, dstView);
}
else
{
   hipt.x -= cr.left;
   hipt.y -= cr.top;
   HIViewConvertPoint(&hipt, NULL, dstView);
}

pt.h = (short) hipt.x;
pt.v = (short) hipt.y;

edit: code tag

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: eli ]

bluetrust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2007, 12:06:00 am »

I just wanted to say, Toady One, that the OS X community CARES about Dwarf Fortress.  At least I care.  If you put up a playable OS X version of Dwarf Fortress, I'll donate $100.

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

I played with it a bit more and adding the endian conversions after the fread() calls fixed the graphics on PowerPC.

The text input is also a bit wacko, I partly fixed it by taking out the cast to char on the Unicode value, but the virtual keycode lookup seems problematic. You can probably get away with it, but the table looks wrong, apparently OS X uses the keycodes from the good old Apple Extended Keyboard 2 as described here keycodes from OS X.

All of my changes were limited to enabler_osx.cpp, let me know if you'd like the new file.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13