Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Kobold Quest port status?  (Read 12890 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest port status?
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>I think nornagon did something and X has it put together somewhere for KQ, though I'm not sure at this point exactly how far that got.  I was busy with this latest release and never got a chance to look at it.  I might again after I get most of the bugs sorted out.</STRONG>

Then I won't do anything further.
The port does appear straightforward, from what I've seen, but if you don't have time yourself (too busy making it better?) then I'd urge you to consider asking someone else. It wouldn't be much work to write a contract that lets you keep all rights for my work - god knows I've seen enough of them. :P

Alternately.. lots of people have suggested that they'd pay for this port. Perhaps it's time to collect those pledges on a wiki page, so they can be summed?

C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Muriac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by peterb:
<STRONG>I would pay cash on the barrel head (and, as a somewhat well known game blogger, encourage other Mac users to do so) for an OS X native port.  There may be fewer of us, but we are loyal as hell.  And our marketshare is growing :-)

-peterb http://tleaves.com</STRONG>

I just joined this forum to say I would pay for a Mac port. Dwarf Fortress is amazing, but I can't stand booting into Windows. No offence to Windows users: I'm sure you'd be just as annoyed if you had to boot into Mac OS to play.

[ November 11, 2007: Message edited by: Muriac ]

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2007, 12:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Muriac:
<STRONG>

I just joined this forum to say I would pay for a Mac port. Dwarf Fortress is amazing, but I can't stand booting into Windows. No offence to Windows users: I'm sure you'd be just as annoyed if you had to boot into Mac OS to play.

[ November 11, 2007: Message edited by: Muriac ]</STRONG>

*shudder*  I considered myself pretty literate with computers, until I tried using a Mac for the first time since 10 or so years ago.  So confusing compared to the familiar windows.

Oarfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

Another request for OSX support here. It's a shame parallels can't handle opengl well enough to get a decent framerate.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »

Hey all...

I don't know what the status of other folks on this is... I downloaded and started working on this before I saw some of the latest replies.

I have a stubbed-out version compiling on the Mac. For non-coders, stubbed out means lots of empty functions that now need to be filled in to make things actually work. The biggest thing there is replacing the Windows message pump and window creation with a similar Mac setup.  Once that's done, the rest should fall into place quickly.

This would not rely on anything else... no SDL, etc. I've completely disabled fmod at the moment, since at least in DF it's just background music... iTunes would be suitable for that.  =)  But I've seen the fmod website, which seems to be available for all platforms, so could be done eventually.

Gotta keep pushing.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2007, 05:30:00 pm »

My current status...  Progress a little slow; I've been distracted by actual playing of Dwarf Fortress.  =)

Right now, I have a base OpenGL window up and running... and accepting render from the game.  See here, click for larger version:

Currently I'm working on keyboard input... That's a bit of a pain, but I think I'm close. I need to actually boot into Windows and play KQ to see the expected behavior, so I know where I might be failing. Right now it's just windowed, no fullscreen, but that's a lesser priority.

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: mattmoss ]

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

Congratulations for making it so far. Now make it robust and perfect... not that I have a Mac(or tel) to test it on. It's just exciting to see the next step to cross platform availability.

Just to make sure I've been reading your posts correctly, this will be a native OSX application?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

3 cheers for mattmoss.  I can't wait to get a DF port to mac!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2007, 08:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jifodus:
<STRONG>Congratulations for making it so far. Now make it robust and perfect... not that I have a Mac(or tel) to test it on. It's just exciting to see the next step to cross platform availability.

Just to make sure I've been reading your posts correctly, this will be a native OSX application?</STRONG>

Yes, this is a native OSX app that doesn't rely on things like SDL or similar, something I believe Toady wanted to avoid. Once this is done, I will give full ownership of the code to Toady in the hopes we can also have a native DF.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>The only Mac I potentially had access to is big-endian...  I'll have to figure out how I'm going to compile things.</STRONG>

I had a few thoughts on this...

1. When I have the native Mac code working for KQ, you can send me the source to DF which I can get up and running and build a Universal Mac app. I know this doesn't particularly appeal to you as I've seen said a number of times. All I'll say towards this is that I am a professional game developer, used to NDAs, can keep it secure, and I can stick solely to making the port work and leaving everything alone. It would also be easier to get a native OSX port working with someone familiar with and owning both Intel and PPC macs. Additionally, it would leave you free to fix bugs and add features rather than worrying about a port.

2. If that's still not an option, I may be able to set up my tower Mac as a server and provide you a login account with ssh/sftp and possibly vnc access. That should keep your code secure and allow you to build the project mostly without my involvement. That has some disadvantages... namely, you couldn't test it that well... VNC would probably work, but it ain't going to be fast. Also, being the admin of the machine, I would still technically have access to your code; even if I promised to not look, you might not consider this much better than #1.

3. The cheapest Mac is US$600, the Mac mini. You hook up your own display/keyboard/mouse and you've got a mac. That comes with the OS, and all the dev tools are free. It's Intel-based, so you wouldn't easily be able to test the endian issues that would come up on PPC machines, but if all your file-reading code happens in one place, that shouldn't be much of an issue. It ain't the fastest, most powerful machine, but this ain't Unreal Tournament, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

Mac:  Hi, yeah, paranoid so 1/2's not gonna work.  But I was thinking of getting back into this porto stuff now that things are settling down again.  600 dollars should be negligible -- I'm sure all the friendly Mac people will donate that much over the life of the mini, assuming it all works out.  I'd have to have somebody help me dig up tools and figure out...  everything, but whatever, should be fine.

Linux:  I think I've got a computer I can stick Linux on now if the virtual computer idea doesn't work.  The Lord Packman still has nornagon's code, I think.  I'm not sure if there was a license included with it though.  Hopefully there was.  I'll ask LP about that tonight and see if I can get that ball rolling again.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2007, 02:22:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Mac:  Hi, yeah, paranoid so 1/2's not gonna work.  But I was thinking of getting back into this porto stuff now that things are settling down again.  600 dollars should be negligible -- I'm sure all the friendly Mac people will donate that much over the life of the mini, assuming it all works out.  I'd have to have somebody help me dig up tools and figure out...  everything, but whatever, should be fine.</STRONG>

Understandable paranoia...  It's cool.

Towards a Mac mini, or heating bills, or whatever, I just sent a donation via PayPal. Enjoy.   :)

As far as further Mac porting... I will continue on Kobold Quest and make it as complete and clean as I can. When it's done, we can chat about how it works, how to integrate and build it, whatever... I'm happy to help with a Mac port however you need.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2007, 03:53:00 am »

My brother and I drove around a while, but I guess they don't sell Apple computers around here and the nearest Apple store is in Seattle, so I got a mini online instead.  It will arrive whenever.  I suppose low availability is part of the Apple marketing strategy, unless they've been driven out of the local stores by force or something.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13