Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've struck raw adamantine... priorities?  (Read 2940 times)

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I've struck raw adamantine... priorities?
« on: July 28, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »

I'm not sure how lucky this is but I've found a vein of raw adamantine in the first cavern layer I discovered. I've managed to tap the vein and mine a bunch of raw adamantine without even breaching the cavern (I only saw some crundles, anyway, not sure how dangerous they are).

I understand that digging too deeply along an adamantine vein is dangerous and my fort has been around for less than one year, so I'm not going to dig more than a couple of layers down.

With a limited supply of adamantine, I assume I should just be making weapons and armor... but is there anything else worth using it for?

Also, I don't have any skilled weaponsmiths or armorers. Should I have them train first by making iron and bronze items to get their skill level up before having them forge adamantine items?

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: I've struck raw adamantine... priorities?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:01:09 pm »

Train or pray for some skilled armorers and weaponsmiths. Low quality addy armor and weapons, while still the best, is a waste of addy.

Also, how do people keep finding addy so close? I want me some so soon. :/ Got the worldgen info still?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:42 pm »

I've never really investigated the worldgen files but I assume it's in there somewhere.

I will try and find it and post it. But I don't know how I can figure out exactly where I embarked because I totally forgot. Is this recorded anywhere in the files?

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:00:17 pm »

Keep a bunch around for moods, some truly epic stuff can be made if you still have a lot of artifacts to go.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:04:36 pm »

Go for that adamantine, it matters not whether your fort is 1 year old or 50. HFS is fun for all ages XP

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:08:05 pm »

Go for that adamantine, it matters not whether your fort is 1 year old or 50. HFS is fun for all ages XP

It really isn't. FPS death is horrible.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:12:05 pm »

Thats only if you seal it back up.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »

And if you don't it's still death, just not from FPS  :P

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:28:00 pm »

I dug down and in only two layers I hit warm stone.

I'm not exactly sure how to deal with magma. The last time I dug into it my miner died.

Is there some particular way you're supposed to dig around magma in order to set up magma forges?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:14 pm »

I'm not exactly sure how to deal with magma. The last time I dug into it my miner died.

Is there some particular way you're supposed to dig around magma in order to set up magma forges?

As long as the magma stays above 4/7 all you need is an open space above it for the forge.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »

As long as the magma stays above 4/7 all you need is an open space above it for the forge.

The center tiles of the workshop/furnace must not be open to the magma on the Zlevel beneath it.  Any of the 8 edge tiles will do.  It's preferable to have the north tile be the channeled one for magma smelters, and either the east or west one for magma forges, simply because the building layout covers up the channeled tile.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:55:21 pm »

The center tiles of the workshop/furnace must not be open to the magma on the Zlevel beneath it.  Any of the 8 edge tiles will do.  It's preferable to have the north tile be the channeled one for magma smelters, and either the east or west one for magma forges, simply because the building layout covers up the channeled tile.

And of course, the reason this is preferable is to keep various inhabitants of the Magma Sea out of your fortress, as well as cut down on Stupid Dodging Death Syndrome (SDDS)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:11:45 pm »

Digging into warm stone from the side = death in 90% of cases
Try to hit the magma from above, dig out corridors above where you think it might be then dig channels into the walls at intervals.  Magma never flows up out of holes.   Once you have found your magma, plan out your forges and your magma pipes a lvl below.  Pierce the magma at the z lvl of the forges by first channeling down to the pipe you have already cut below, then build a small bridge over the channel to the bit of stone that holds the magma in, now when you dig out that bit the magma will drop to the lvl below the bridge and leave urist mcminer time to run back across the bridge and through the waiting door you remembered to build (REMEMBER YOUR SAFETY DOORS!) before getting burned alive.

3 layers down is weird though, what z level is the surface? and did you mess with the settings when you genned a world?

I also thought the HFS was deep down, even with adam?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 03:18:18 am »

i would find that thread where someone ended up with 2500 z level pillar of adamantium sticking out of the ground next to his embark caravan if i cound find the energy right now.

basically, even without messing around with the raws, sometimes amazing things happen, like adamantium in the first layer of caverns. the depth of caverns seems highly variable. sometimes 5 z layers down, sometimes 60. adamantium is normally only found sticking up into the lowest cavern, but not always.

to the original poster: crundles are not dangerous to even poorly equipped military dwarves, but they can mob single unskilled weavers out getting silk threads. a small modestly equipped military coupled with walling off sections of caverns you want to use is fine for the first layer of caverns.

also, in case its not already clear, dont dig sideways into warm stone. try and find the surface of the magma, and dig down into it. as already stated, you need an open space down into the magma to create a magma forge, just like a well needs an open space over water. unlike the well, the forge must be on the layer directly above the magma. people tend to create elaborate pumping schemes to bring magma up into their fort nearer the surface for easier access.

to reiterate, dont dig sideways into warm stone. or damp stone. doing either will normally lead to catastrophic flooding, followed by melting or drowning, respectively.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 04:01:38 am »

1:  Train military.  Forget other duties they have.  Just train.
2:  Churn out weapons and armour - make way more than you need so your metalsmiths produce higher quality stuff.  You military dorfs should automatically replace their stuff with the better stuff available unless they've become attached to it.
3:  Upright spikes.
4:  Mechanisms
5:  Mine out a route from the adamantine to fill with the spikes - that way if your military all gets eaten when you breach the pits you canset the spikes to constant action and maybe take out some of the demons.  That helped last time I breached, anyway.
6:  Burrows.  I tend to set up a sort of emergency bunker out of the way- food and booze, a room of barracks-style beds and a few pretty things to keep moods high.  If breaching happens, I send everyone to the burrow there.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!
Pages: [1] 2