Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2's learning curves are "steep" says MSN gaming.  (Read 2816 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Warfare 2's learning curves are "steep" says MSN gaming.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:32 pm »

Honestly I think MW2 has the highest learning curve out of any fps I've played in a while. It takes me a minute or so to relearn the controls every time I go to play it again. To some people a minute of learning may seem like an hour, I mean, come on, that's about 1/45th of the average class for them highschool kids.
Hell, the learning curve even has an impact on competition, if I think that R2 reloads and I throw a grenade at a wall right next to me as a result, I'll do a lot worse than someone who doesn't throw a grenade at themselves.
Although I tend to sound like a broken record, I think Tribes has probably the most difficult learning curve of all FPS games I've seen. I mean, just try landing a mid-air disk. I've played the game for years and I never mastered that.
Has tribes and tribes 2 gone abandonware yet?
I miss my lost discs.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »

Honestly I think MW2 has the highest learning curve out of any fps I've played in a while. It takes me a minute or so to relearn the controls every time I go to play it again. To some people a minute of learning may seem like an hour, I mean, come on, that's about 1/45th of the average class for them highschool kids.
Hell, the learning curve even has an impact on competition, if I think that R2 reloads and I throw a grenade at a wall right next to me as a result, I'll do a lot worse than someone who doesn't throw a grenade at themselves.
Although I tend to sound like a broken record, I think Tribes has probably the most difficult learning curve of all FPS games I've seen. I mean, just try landing a mid-air disk. I've played the game for years and I never mastered that.
I miss my lost discs.
Tribes 2 did in a sense.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:59 am »

I miss my lost discs.
Tribes 2 did in a sense.

I do believe they got permission to do this even.

By the way, relearning controls =/= learning curve. Controls are just pushing the gas pedal to get it going before the first turn, and if the setup is esoteric enough that it takes a minute to relearn, perhaps something is wrong.

And yes, Tribes 2 is the most complex FPS I've seen Re:learning curve. Skiing, skating, weapon ranges, armor uses, backpacks, tons of stuff. Can you even jump in MW2?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:36:34 am »

It's a learning curve for people who aren't used to holding game controllers.

That's who reads MSN gaming. As much has already been established.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 01:52:26 am »

Can you even jump in MW2?
Barely.
You can jump, but you certainly can't jet.

However, I do appreciate the limitation on jumping in MW2, keeps people from bunny hopping everywhere.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 02:11:48 am »

Like the Halo games.
You want to dodge some bullets?
Mash that jump button.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:23:31 am »

Bleck...

Ok... here's a challenge, play Tribes for a while, then go play Halo for a while. I guarantee you'll feel like your controlling a guy who's been injected with snail DNA or something.

Halo just feels sluggish.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 02:24:32 am »

One of the only FPS's I've played with a reasonably steep learning curve are the Bohemia Interactive ones, Operation Flashpoint, ARMA, ARMA 2 etc, but mostly that's because you have to first go beyond heavily rehearsed standard FPS reactions.

Halo just feels sluggish.

One of the few complaints I have with BI's games. Wrestling with your player character, it's excusable given the genre though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:43 am »

We should show msn gaming dwarf fortress...
MSN cancles Rate Learning Curve: Too insane.
MSN has gone stark raving mad!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 07:08:23 am »

They best be trolling.
Its funny because modern warfare is like the perfect example of what current FPS games are like. What would be an easy FPS for them?
Thank you based dwarf.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:11:24 am »

one of those flash games in which you really just have to point and click?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 07:13:34 am »

Shoot duck to win prize?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 08:48:07 am »

Why do I always, always get enraged when I hear someone not read the link?

Once you get over the steep learning curve, the multiplayer options are insanely addictive.

Multiplayer, by its very nature, has a steep learning curve, since you're going up against experts who know every single trick in the book. Sure, you might do okay in single-player, but once you step online, expect to be clobbered senseless.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

Why do I always, always get enraged when I hear someone not read the link?

Once you get over the steep learning curve, the multiplayer options are insanely addictive.

Multiplayer, by its very nature, has a steep learning curve, since you're going up against experts who know every single trick in the book. Sure, you might do okay in single-player, but once you step online, expect to be clobbered senseless.

No not really, I was playing multiplayer before I finished the campaign, its incredibly easy. If you play on insane before you go on to multiplayer you'll be a pro. This is from someone who plays Modern Warfare 2.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:33 am »

Classic Doom has a steeper learning cliff. I mean, you can't even use the mouse! And then you have to bother with the whole 2.5D situation! Do you know how hard it is to learn half a dimension?

And the guns! So many guns, so few ways to master them. And your shields don't recharge after getting hit or anything!
Doom 2 actually is hard to play. never beat the second level.
and the game is sooo brutal! It sends hordes of 20, maybe even 30 or 40 or even more ! not 1 or2 or 3, But dozens at a time!
Pages: 1 [2] 3