Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Modern Warfare 2's learning curves are "steep" says MSN gaming.  (Read 2810 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Modern Warfare 2's learning curves are "steep" says MSN gaming.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 01:41:12 pm »

fucking really?? MSN dipshits

duh..how comes my guns aint workin'? *bangs head on keyboard and drools*
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »

Why do I always, always get enraged when I hear someone not read the link?

Once you get over the steep learning curve, the multiplayer options are insanely addictive.

Multiplayer, by its very nature, has a steep learning curve, since you're going up against experts who know every single trick in the book. Sure, you might do okay in single-player, but once you step online, expect to be clobbered senseless.
Multiplayer has a steep learning curve? No. Not at all. It has a somewhat high skill ceiling though. Those are different concepts.

To demonstrate this, look at chess or go. Such simple rules, but a very high skill ceiling.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 01:00:10 am »

I haven't touched MW2, so I can't tell. Do note that the site mentions Doom, Counter-Strike, RA2, and Starcraft.

Also Football Manager. WTF? Football Manager has an even steeper learning curve than DF. I've been playing FM from 2006 and I still can't figure out what everything means.

Heh, back on looking at this article, I can't see why game developers prize addictiveness so highly. Half the games on that list are addictive, but rubbish. It's embarrassing to be addicted to Farmville.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:01:48 am by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 10:53:14 am »

doom hard no it just has a old key set up and pre unreal, pre half life way of fighting.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 11:03:54 am »

I think I finally understood that review.

At first, you think Modern Warfare 2 is good game. You know, because of all the hype. Then you start it up and you have to learn how crappy that game actually is. And you'll have a hard time wrapping your head around it, because it is in fact that bad. It's hard to believe and even harder to understand. But once you grasp how bad it is, you might even have some fun.

There you go, steep learning curve.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 11:15:58 am »

Why do I always, always get enraged when I hear someone not read the link?

Once you get over the steep learning curve, the multiplayer options are insanely addictive.

Multiplayer, by its very nature, has a steep learning curve, since you're going up against experts who know every single trick in the book. Sure, you might do okay in single-player, but once you step online, expect to be clobbered senseless.
Multiplayer has a steep learning curve? No. Not at all. It has a somewhat high skill ceiling though. Those are different concepts.

To demonstrate this, look at chess or go. Such simple rules, but a very high skill ceiling.

Difference is that you don't get to choose who you face in MW2 and many other multiplayer games. So you'll likely facing off against the best and brightest of the MW2 players, meaning you'll get slaughtered a lot. You have to start learning NOW when facing the experts otherwise you'll die. I have heard that there was attempts at "match-making" to get rid of the skill difference, but I also heard it doesn't work.

Worse, the experts improve, so you have to improve too. There, steep learning curve.

If you play on insane before you go on to multiplayer you'll be a pro.
So if you become good at the game by playing the highest difficulty level, it becomes easy? Blow me over with a feather.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:18:19 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:13 am »

You are talking about the learning curve of a skill called "situational awareness" and not "controlling MW2".

edit:
there we have a good example. MW2, that was actually "Mechwarrior 2". I haven't played it, but I played part 4.

That game had a moderately steep learning curve, because, you know, it actually takes almost the whole keyboard to be able to do everything your mech can. Once you get over that learning curve, you'll probably still get pwned a bit in MP, but hey, you mastered the controls and principles. You know how to play that game.

Or DF for instance. Everbody loses. But once you know WHY you lost, you got over that learning curve.

And if you don't know why you lost in Modern Warfare 2, well, chances are you got a railroad spike somewhere in your cranium.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:24:28 am by Puck »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 11:42:43 am »

... So why are some of you seemingly annoyed by this?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 11:51:18 am »

I, for one, am just pissed the weather over here is so bad I can't go ride my bike properly.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 12:21:52 pm »

I, for one, am just pissed the weather over here is so bad I can't go ride my bike properly.

First time I've seen someone complain on a forum with a valid complaint.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 2 [3]