Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Mysterious Domains that are Ancient  (Read 4692 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Domains that are Ancient
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2010, 09:18:40 am »

I find angband less appealing than adom, though, I've never gotten far enough to actually get a feel of how things play out. But please, if you're going to talk about angband, do so in another thread.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

ADOM is for sure my favorite roguelike, but I have been waiting for jade for...10 years now?  I think?

I only ever beat it playing a Troll, but mostly I like to play human clerics.  Healing + knowing when things are cursed are both nice abilities.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 11:30:35 am »

Farmers are surprisingly not that bad a class. The artifact Moon Sickle is probably made for them(Farmers gain corruption resistance and train polearms faster), and it does some nifty damage at the cost of relatively minor corruption(and autocurses). You can also dip the Moon Sickle into any potion to turn it into a potion of raw chaos(which if you're lucky can be tremendously useful. Unlucky, it's suicide).

EDIT: @niltrias: Lemme guess, after the that library in ADOM?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 11:31:36 am »

Great game, my introduction to roguealikes (I got into Nethack later). My only successful game (thus far my only win in any roguealike) was a normal victory with a Drakeling beastfighter - I never bothered with the super special spoilery victories.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:27 am »

Farmers are surprisingly not that bad a class. The artifact Moon Sickle is probably made for them(Farmers gain corruption resistance and train polearms faster), and it does some nifty damage at the cost of relatively minor corruption(and autocurses). You can also dip the Moon Sickle into any potion to turn it into a potion of raw chaos(which if you're lucky can be tremendously useful. Unlucky, it's suicide).

EDIT: @niltrias: Lemme guess, after the that library in ADOM?

You got it :)
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:04 pm »

I should state that someone made a graphical version of Ancient domains of mystery a long time ago.

In fact it is the only version of adom I play... and it is very well done too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 01:09:18 pm »

Alright, so we all know about the crimson feathered polearm needed for the best endings, but... anyone here ever become a Paragon of Order?

I have had very few good runs of ADOM, and no victories, but I found that being a dwarf paladin led to being extremely overpowered in the early game. Don't know why.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »

Yeah, my human barbarians usually end up as one(paragons of order, not dwarf paladins).

I think that becoming a "fallen champion" is great from the role-playing point of view, but losing the benefits of bless and luck+fate enchancers is a serious problem.
Love the god's reaction when he tries to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Damn, got to play it now.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 02:25:42 pm »

I thought denying the wrath of an angry god only worked in Nethack?

Also, in the event you wish to do somthing hilariously suicidal, try commiting a chaotic act while wearing True Strength.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:29:01 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 02:47:18 pm »

I have had very few good runs of ADOM, and no victories, but I found that being a dwarf paladin led to being extremely overpowered in the early game. Don't know why.

Being a melee character of any kind is overpowered in the early game. Paladins even more so because they start off with cool stuff.

Heh, I've always preferred ADOM to Nethack. Nethack just seemed too random, while ADOM at least tries to roleplay.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 03:17:19 pm »

I always thought that archers were the overpowered ones, as long as they can get sufficient ammo.  If I'm remembering the commands right...oh what, a pack of twenty jackals?  Let me just stand here in one place and:
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
All dead, not a scratch.

I need to play ADOM again.  :x

Do you guys ever go through the small cave early in the game, or do you just never bother?  Also, do you bother with the puppy cave at all?  How about the Pyramid?  There's so many options...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 03:51:28 pm »

Heh, I generally avoid missile characters in roguelikes. Melee's more fun.

I always go into the small cave. I probably lose like 50-80% of my characters there (or to that really big guy that sometimes appears at the end of it), but I sort of make it like a trial. If they can survive in there, it means they're strong enough for much of the game.

Puppy cave, rarely, unless I want to make a chaotic character lawful for whatever reason.

Pyramid.. often, but not always. My characters tend to get pretty tough by then.. I've only lost like 3 characters in the pyramid throughout the entire time I've played ADOM.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

Do you guys ever go through the small cave early in the game, or do you just never bother?  Also, do you bother with the puppy cave at all?  How about the Pyramid?  There's so many options...
I got obsessed with the Eternium man challenge for a while, where you try to reach exp: 50 whilst remaining on the small cave's first level (think the best I managed was around exp: 14). Someone managed exp 30+ with a hurthling monk once, I never heard of anyone actually completing it.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 04:28:36 pm »

I got obsessed with the Eternium man challenge for a while, where you try to reach exp: 50 whilst remaining on the small cave's first level (think the best I managed was around exp: 14). Someone managed exp 30+ with a hurthling monk once, I never heard of anyone actually completing it.

Actually, I once did hear of someone completing it. From the ADOM Challenge page:
The first example was completed by Barry Kearns who reported it November 18th, 2006. It was done with a dwarven bard (for the cave bear companion) who was born under the Raven birthsign with pick pockets and food preservation. The experience level of the PC was deliberately kept at a minimum so the cave bear was able to kill enemies until the PC accumulated enough ingredients to start a wish engine via the "gremlin bomb" technique. It has since been completed without a pet using similar strategy.

So yeah, apparently infinite wishing is a powerful tool.  ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »

Speaking of infinite wishing, has anyone here managed to become an Archmage?
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4