Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mysterious Domains that are Ancient  (Read 4688 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Mysterious Domains that are Ancient
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

That's right, ADOM. I was browsing the roguelikes section of portage (That Gentoo's package manager), and I stumbled across this old game. I've never been any good at ADOM, but I recalled it being very fun so I went ahead and downloaded it. Aside from some TF2 All I've been doing for the past week is ADOM.

So what is it?
ADOM is a roguelike, like nethack, or crawl, but it's different in many aspects. It's as deep as nethack, or maybe even deeper in some aspects. What makes it different from your traditional roguelike is its story and closed source. That's right, it has a story. I've yet to see the actual story, or how it develops, as I haven't gotten past the first cave, but the fact that's there is nice. You can choose between 10 races and 20 classes, each specializing in something, and each race/class combination has a set of skills to go with it. The game mechanics are heavily influenced by d&d, with all dice and whatnot.

Links
The ADOM website - get the game here
The wiki - not much, but it's still a wiki
And the guidebook -  this is considered the main source for spoilers

So we've got a Nethack thread, a Crawl thread, lets have an ADOM thread as well.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Domains that are Ancient
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:24:28 pm »

Trolls are pretty powerful overall, but hampered by higher food consumption(neutralized by playing a Monk or Farmer, both pretty good classes for Trolls anyway). Troll's born under the Candle, especially Troll Healers born under the Candle, are nearly unkillable due to ridiculous healing rates. They're weaker in magic, but most other races die pretty quickly as magic users(elves especially, despite having possibly the highest potential ability for magic), and Trolls gain some decent abilities from magic classes. They're probably weakest for the rogue classes.

I made a list of all the items you get from the Heir talent(which requires at least 3 talents at the start), and most people will say Bards have the best item, the (spoiler)Seven League Boots, but I consider that a disadvantage since Bards rely on having pets.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »

Oh god.

That game.

So many dead characters... So many...

*slowly rocks back and forth*

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »

Blacksmiths all the way!

*Brandishes dual +14 1d8+9 spears.*

I'm still waiting for JADE though, and ADOM hasn't had an update in ages.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 06:19:32 pm »

I'm waiting in vain until the creator decides to stop taunting us with the idea of releasing the source and finally does it.

I guess I'll download for old time's sake.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 06:25:50 pm »

ADOM had a lot of good points.

The thing I didn't like about it, is that it's a longer and more involved game than Nethack and its ilk, which means that dying in the midgame or endgame really blows.  Plus...grinding in the Infinite Dungeon.  The looming threat of increased background corruption after a certain point doesn't help.  Oh yeah, and there's the thing where you need a hard-to-find FOO in order to start on quest BAR, which means that if you want a shot at the better endings, you are usually utterly forced to grind the ID for that FOO before getting any farther in the plot.  Oh...and jackals of doom, man.  Jackals of doom.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »

Is there a tileset?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »

Nope. ASCII only.

Also, those damn cats. You really want to kill one, but that's counter-productive to why you hate them so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 11:41:33 pm »

ADOM was my first roguelike. However, the dev seems to have lost all interest in programming the sequel J.A.D.E. which might have been a really nice competitor to DF adventurer mode, if he actually started coding it again.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

Ahhh...good old Adom,I remember playing Nethack (It was my favorite game at the time) and then abandoning Nethack after finding Adom.Oh I almost forgot to mention Elves are pretty useful in Adom and Trolls are pretty hard to finish the game with due to all the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 12:20:31 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:26:40 am »

Good:
- Fun storyline
- Characters all have unique abilities

Bad:
- A bit too much grinding for a roguelike
- Having to look up the ADOM guide for a lot of stuff, especially since there's a bunch of unbalanced things like talents
- Really annoying to play on a laptop

I do miss ADOM but can't get into playing it on a laptop. Some people say it's possible to get used to playing it with the fn buttons. I'm tempted to buy a separate numpad for my laptop just to play it. Been playing Dungeon Crawl for a while, but DC is just.. boring after a while, there's no emotional attachment to my characters, no story.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:48:04 am »

ADOM's my favorite "traditional" roguelike.  I feel accomplished after finally beating it after all these years with a hurthling... was it barbarian or beastfighter?  I don't remember now, heh.  In any case, it's fun, but does have its bad moments that get grindy.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:12:36 am »

Lol, I won it once... with a chaotic one, but got the bad ending. It was a really, really long time ago. I think I was 11 at the time or something, before that puppy quest.

My best characters were often the female ones for some reason. My top was some male hurthling elemental. I only have like a few really good ones, but got bored of them because the mid to late game (lvl 30 and above) becomes so slow.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

Anybody found the Red Rooster?

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 10:49:57 am »

Nope. ASCII only.

Too bad.
Looks like I have to wait until they make one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4