Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pushover Titan or Really Hardcore Kobold?  (Read 1842 times)

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
Pushover Titan or Really Hardcore Kobold?
« on: July 28, 2010, 11:06:28 am »

So I genned a medium region that had a higher population than I'd expected. Wondering why, I took a look at the legends. As it so happens, one of the titans was killed in the first year. A giand quadruped made of fire with four horns that undulated rhythmically or something. Because titans are so powerful in worldgen, I figured that between this and the one that died 70 years later, that would account for the higher population. Then I got curious and looked at the beast himself. As it turns out, he attacked a kobold settlement in the Crevices of Shooting, scared a kobold away, and was then struck down by Duduthrayrber Romancegazes, a miner from that settlement.

Has anyone else seen this happen? The kobold otherwise led a fairly short life - after killing the titan, he encountered a Bronze Colossus, ironically one that he had escaped from before, who sqeezed all of his blood out. Keep in mind this is all in the first year of worldgen.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Pushover Titan or Really Hardcore Kobold?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:18 am »

Probably a weaksauce Titan, but keep in mind that kobolds have a tendency to pull epic shit like this, though it was more common in 40d.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 02:47:16 pm »

Well, it *was* the Crevices of Shooting, which is about as apt a name for a kobold nest as it comes. And being made of fire, it lacked any natural armor/shell/hide for arrows to bounce off of. Don't ask me how you shoot fire to death. Maybe it had like a brain floating in the middle of this blob of fire, and Dud's arrow went straight for it, despite being transformed into a !!flaming arrow of flamey flame!!.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »

It seems like all of the titans made out of fire, snow, etc. etc. are pretty weak.  Wasn't the one that was killed by a kitten also like this?  I think issues such as the mortality of incorporeal creatures or creatures that are not made from flesh blood and organs has not really been dealt with in depth yet.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 05:15:22 pm »

Also it could have been the most badass titan ever and the weakest kobold ever seen...I think we all have been subject to the brutal and random insta kills when you least expect it lol

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »

I could have very easily been a lucky hit. As for the fact it is made of fire, Toady added heads to those, and since fire isn't armor, the head got shot fast, probably.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »

Maybe he threw a bucket of water on the titan.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:22:57 pm »

Just like the wicked witch of the west.....

someone needs to make a wizard of oz mod....those monkeys that fly could tear some stuff up real good lol...flying baby snatcher anyone?

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:59:43 pm »

Just like the wicked witch of the west.....

someone needs to make a wizard of oz mod....those monkeys that fly could tear some stuff up real good lol...flying baby snatcher anyone?

Underground?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 01:41:05 pm »

what stops em from sneaking underground and snatching a kid...then when they hit your central stair case they just fly off...kid in tow

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 01:55:38 pm »

It seems like all of the titans made out of fire, snow, etc. etc. are pretty weak.  Wasn't the one that was killed by a kitten also like this?  I think issues such as the mortality of incorporeal creatures or creatures that are not made from flesh blood and organs has not really been dealt with in depth yet.

Makes sense - my first forgotten beast was a scorpion made of snow.  A dog summarily bit it in half.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:18 pm »

"You cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm extinguishing! Extinguishing! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a cute little kobold like you would have access to an extremely common resource such as a miniscule amount of water in a cave carved by water! Oooooh, look out! I'm going! Oooooh! Ooooooh!"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare