Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves that like art  (Read 3215 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves that like art
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »

it looks as if a legend  engraver  likes art he will do far more historic engraving than say a dwarf that has no prefrence to art or at least thats how my two engravers are working out that was in .10 im in .12 now and havent gotten a dwarf that likes art yet 

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: dwarves that like art
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 11:45:24 pm »

Their skill level makes them do more historical engravings, but I thiiiiink the personality facet doesn't influence it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:21 pm »

ok, who knew i was thinking it might of been something new.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:36 am »

Their skill level makes them do more historical engravings, but I thiiiiink the personality facet doesn't influence it.
lol Toady...has your creation gotten bigger then you? I think it is starting to develop into a sentient being o.O

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:08:21 am »

This is an engraving of a giant toad and dwarves. The giant toad is cowering. The dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
This engraving relates to the growth of dwarf fortress to sentient being during the overthrowing of ToadyOne in the year 2010.
The giant toad is screaming.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 07:23:01 pm »

This is an engraving of a giant toad and dwarves. The giant toad is cowering. The dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
This engraving relates to the growth of dwarf fortress to sentient being during the overthrowing of ToadyOne in the year 2010.

The giant toad has croaked?

<.<
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:42:25 pm »

Must.... not... sigg.....  nuaaaaaa!
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 01:46:01 am »

But it would make sense, right?
A person who likes art would naturally want to get better at it.

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:58 am »

You really need to make sure you have a big shiny 'kill' button Toady. Just think.

Skynet (or the anti-Skynet, not entirely sure what John Henry's supposed to be) started out as a Chess program. Dwarf Fortress creates thousands of entities with wants, needs and desires. And the capacity for callous cruelty and sadism fostered onto it by it's players...
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:30:57 am »

I, for one, welcome our dwarven overlords.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Agamemnon

• Bay Watcher
  • Function - unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:56 am »

Is there any effect/ benefit of making someone with taste for art or a vivid imagination into an engraver?
Glossary #52
Execution shaft aka. dwarven wormhole

Works as follows: Things enter one end, emerge at the other and then get eaten by worms.

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »

Is there any effect/ benefit of making someone with taste for art or a vivid imagination into an engraver?

You should be more concerned about getting yourself a decent room after the dwarven overlords take over. I heard that most rooms are only enough to hold a single bed!
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »

The toady one made the dwarves to learn of programming.
They learned right back and leaked into our world.
There are many copies...
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 03:33:18 pm »

well i only posted this because while the guy that liked art was doing all these epic history carvings and 2nd one that had the same skill was still making masterwork engravings of CHEESE and Rings

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »

This was for 40d, but I did a dwarven science experiment on this subject (regarding personality), and found personality had no statistical signifigance.  Of course, Toady may have potentially changed this at some point since 40d, or may do so later, but there was no evidence of personality having an effect in 40d.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49576.msg1040420#msg1040420

As far as I can tell, it is quality level, not the direct skill of the dwarven engraver that matters when engraving, and you tend to get shapes and such when you are only getting normal or fine engravings.  I believe at least superior quality is required before you get "historic" engravings.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare