Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adding Custom Workshops to existing Fortress?  (Read 1792 times)

HenryGale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adding Custom Workshops to existing Fortress?
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:01:04 pm »

Hi everyone,

I'm just dipping my toes into modding DF, mostly because I have the beginnings of a fort that I like on a woefully tree-less map (and sand-less... and all those steps to make steel are such a pain... but those problems I've already solved  :D). I've been trying to follow Shaostoul's great guide and it's just not working for me. I just can't get the custom workshop to appear in my list of build options. I'm wondering if it's because I'm trying to mod an existing fortress instead of starting fresh? I'm grateful for any ideas you have.

Here's my building_custom.txt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...and my entity_default up to where I added my new PERMITTED entires:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this in the right place. I've been able to make some changes to inorganic_stone_mineral.txt that appear correctly in-game. This is my path:
[DF folder]\data\save\region4\raw\objects\

Definitely the right region too. So... what am I missing, or is this just not possible without a regen?

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: Adding Custom Workshops to existing Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:10:01 pm »

In generally anytime you add a completely new entry  you have to regen,  if you're just editing an existing Reaction/Custombuilding then you don't need to regen

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »

If you wanted to use this in your current fort you would need to edit like the soapmakers reaction to make soap to what you needed it to do...

Me personally I would just regen... after all losing is fun and the first strikes of the earth with the pickaxe are the best part.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:56 pm »

Annnnd just in case, cause this question is answered on my guide. Check out my guide! I have a wiki version and a forum version, both with different information. Might be of a lot of help.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

HenryGale

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »

I've been trying to follow Shaostoul's great guide and it's just not working for me.

I'm well aware of your awesome work, Shaostoul. And you do mention a regen but... well, some folks in the threads I was finding seemed to be discussing custom workshops as if they were just dropping them into their existing forts. I shall know better than to doubt you next time.  :D

For the record, I left my dwarfs to rot and started a new fortress. They were too fussy anyway. It did sort of make the cheat workshop moot since my new location is COVERED in trees, but an interesting exercise nonetheless.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

I was recentely able to add some reactions to my tanners workshop that I forgot to add before generating my world. The reactions themselve exited before, but it wasnt in the dwarf enitity yet.

If this works with workshops, then you might be able to leave the workshop out of the enitity file untill you need it somewhere. You could mod in a 'blank' workshops with a number of 'blank' reactions that you can later modify and add to the entity.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:33:24 pm »

I can confirm that what Grimlocke says, is true. I have modded many reactions and buildings in before and have forgotten to add them to the entity, or just mistyped the name. I've also successfully removed reactions and buildings from the entity file. Not to bash on Deon's work, but I thought there were too many buildings for skill leveling and that they were getting too complex. /shrugs

I'll say it here, just as I've said it other places.

Adding new reactions, buildings, creatures, etc. require a new world. Regardless. If you add a new entry and try to have it show up in your already generated world, it's not happening.

Editing existing reactions, buildings, creatures, etc. mostly do not require a new world. Depends how extensive you're getting with your modding... I don't think you can add a new caste, but maybe. Also, you it is possible you won't see any of your changes to present dwarfs. Like if you mod dwarfs to be super hot and fire immune, you'll have to wait for your next migrant wave. (fire immune may be changeable on existing dwarfs) So those new migrants will be super hot, start forest fires, burn away water, warm stone, turn any items in their tile and one tile away from them into ash, etc. You can then mod it again for dwarfs to be extremely cold and have no cold damage point and they'll freeze anything that gets close to them.

Again, my motto is, 'If you don't know if it needs a new world, just gen a new world.' Also, just try it! Seriously near everything I know about DF is from me modding endlessly and figuring stuff out. I've probably logged more test hours than actual playing hours.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!