Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roads: what are they good for?  (Read 1915 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roads: what are they good for?
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:28:16 pm »

So roads! You can build 'em anywhere on any surface. They don't take a lot of materials to build but designing it does take it's sweet time.
Overall I like to build roads simply because I like the look of it. A bit of roads is so much more interesting then just another generic patch of floor.

I find myself wondering though, to what end? Is there anything useful to buidling roads?
I've read somewhere that an amount of roads is a criteria for something I don't remember what. I've also gone ahead and checked out a few existing settlement (so far only human) and they all have roads leading to the edge of the map.
I also know dwarves may get a happy thought by admiring a fine road, atleast if memory serves.
But is  there any direct functional gain by building roads?

See I've gone ahead and started a mini project of building a number of roads to the outside world (edge of  the map) from all direction. After all a true metropolis has lots of roads leading to it. Will this have any effect on the world at all? Or is connecting stuff with roads something that only happens during woldgen.

short version: Roads, what are they good for?

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roads: what are they good for?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:09 pm »

They stop vegitation from growing... Which would be a benefit if traders actually brought wagons. This is bugger as of 0.31.12, though.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:33:05 pm »

as of now, roads have no practical purpose other than ascetic appeal. Once the 3X3 wagons arrive, then they will see more usage

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »

You need at least $1 worth of road for a baron.  Also I think it's something like contamination like blood won't spread on roads.  People can admire them.  That's it, really.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:45:27 pm »

You need at least $1 worth of road for a baron.
Not according to Toady (near the bottom of the reply).
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:46:56 pm »

Roads prevent plant growth. This makes them extremely important to build at the bottom of your cisterns or aqueducts to prevent pesky tower caps from growing there.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:57:30 pm »

Roads prevent plant growth. This makes them extremely important to build at the bottom of your cisterns or aqueducts to prevent pesky tower caps from growing there.

Yep. Also, for long-term viability you want three roads on every dwarven reactor, in the places where water sits, of course.

Roads are also useful to ensure caravans can path to your trade depot, and to be admired by man and dwarf.

Also I think kings might still require roads, unless you mine blue stuff early.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »

Also I think kings might still require roads, unless you mine blue stuff early.
You can't get the blue king anymore.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

necrodoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:21:43 am »

but trees dont grow on stock piles either. i use that usually because its instantly builded and doesnt need any materials, you only need to place a custom stock pile that has anything forbided.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 03:42:53 am »

as of now, roads have no practical purpose other than ascetic appeal. Once the 3X3 wagons arrive, then they will see more usage

Wait what? I've not been around few versions but when did wagons vanish? Guess it's time to download a new version.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 03:51:45 am »

Ascetic appeal?  You mean they're sorta like fashion monks?

I believe you meant "aesthetic".

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:46:52 am »

Coke roads are good for traps  ;)

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 06:52:56 am »

Wait what? I've not been around few versions but when did wagons vanish? Guess it's time to download a new version.

They've been bugged in all of the .31.x versions. Even so, if you haven't tried any of them yet, it's definitely time.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 07:37:18 am »

but trees dont grow on stock piles either. i use that usually because its instantly builded and doesnt need any materials, you only need to place a custom stock pile that has anything forbided.
Yeah but that is exploiting a game design flaw, it feels like cheating to me so I always build roads or floors to block vegetation growth.
One thing to note about roads is that they are treated as buildings rather than constructions (like walls/floors etc.) and so can be destroyed by magma if they are not made magma safe. Possibly building destroyers can destroy them as well? Floors on the other hand cannot be destroyed be either magma or building destroyers. Also, if you have "show depth" set in the init file, water over roads does not show depth, whereas over floors it does, so its useful to have a few floor tiles in your cisterns or pipes so you can monitor flow.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 10:49:18 am »

Coke roads are good for traps  ;)

0_0

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS?!

I'm restructuring my current fort and dedicating it to the construction of an underground goblin anyone I hate INCINERATOR!
No grass needed and I feel like building near the magma sea anyway.

Armok bless you my friend.
Pages: [1] 2