Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What year do you stop world gen at?  (Read 2797 times)

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
Re: What year do you stop world gen at?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 07:21:49 pm »

End_year = 419
This leaves you with a 420 embark. +++++++

I should have done that for my current fort. Fortress Sticky Plants.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »

Takes about 45 seconds for me to gen a large world at year 500.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42:50 pm »

Fast for me, too. Large world takes a few minutes to hit year 1050, small world gets done in a matter of tens of seconds.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »

Odd that I'm apparently the only one getting slow world gens.  My CPU isn't bad; it's 3 GHz in two cores, so I guess 1.5 GHz dedicated to DF.  I haven't really played for a year or so, but the last time I did, world gen was very fast. 

Thanks for the tips. 
You have struck Microcline!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:34 pm »

Hmm... It seems like longer, but I just timed how long it took my computer to generate a large world with all default settings, and it was 7 minutes. 

I have a Dual Core 3.0 Ghz, and I can't remember exactly, but I have either 2 or 4 gigs of RAM.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »

I usually set world gen to stop at the year 999, so I strike the earth on the first day of the year 1000, because I like big round numbers.

I haven't noticed world-gen taking significantly longer, and my windows machine isn't so impressive that I wouldn't notice.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 10:34:53 pm »

My most recent fort, I went to the extreme and generated a 8,087 year-old world...of course, this was a random number I generated between 8,000 and 10,000 years.  I wanted the age of civilization approximately equal to what it would be IRL, plus to give the world more backstory. This also resulted in the defeat of the elves by dwarves, so my fortress' walls are covered with inspiring engravings of dwarves striking down elves.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:37:45 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 10:38:15 pm »

Hmm... It seems like longer, but I just timed how long it took my computer to generate a large world with all default settings, and it was 7 minutes. 

I have a Dual Core 3.0 Ghz, and I can't remember exactly, but I have either 2 or 4 gigs of RAM.

Huh.  I have 3 gigs of RAM, and even getting to year 500 takes about 40 minutes. 

My most recent fort, I went to the extreme and generated a 8,087 year-old world...of course, this was a random number I generated between 8,000 and 10,000 years.

How long did that take?

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 10:43:14 pm »

Ok, just as a test, I started DF and hit the "Create New World Now!" button.  It generated a default world in less than a minute.

Bizarre.  The only customization I was making was to add more z-levels of rock between the ground and the Underdark, but apparently this leads to hugely increased world-gen times. 

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 11:22:49 pm »

whenever i start a new world, i have at least 2500 yrs and a lot of z levels, i just let it run while i am sleeping or showering or something. it works, although the saves take a long time to go.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 11:35:48 pm »

I tend to stop world gen at 300 years, so it's long enough for interesting things to happen but usually no race has gotten wiped out by then.  Whenever I go for the 1050 I wind up missing elves or goblins or something.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Adamantine Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 11:56:37 pm »

I generally like longer gens for the more interesting histories. However, playing with Civ Forge, I also find that longer world-gens have an unfortunate tendency to leave massive, insanely powerful and overpopulated High Elven empires. Steel equipment + infinite lifespan = horrifyingly large, well equipped armies.
and D) involve Clippy, the helpful paperclip, to tell you what to do.
It looks like you are trying to commit elven genocide! What would you like to do?

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:46 am »

I find the bigger issue isn't that long world gens take a long time to generate, but that they can significantly increase save, load, and quit times. I find if I go much longer than 500 years, the agony of the long autosaves far outweighs having a younger, slightly more boring world.

Suilenroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 01:47:40 am »

I've found that kobold civs always die off if I let history run its full course, so I've started stopping at around 400.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 02:21:05 am »

How long did that take?

No more than two hours; I played golf while it was generating and when I got back it was finished.  It was pretty much a conventional medium island with all specifications as set in the default worldgen, with the only difference being a few more civilizations and slightly higher volcanism; I think what really sped it up was the elimination of the elves by the 4th millennium.  It didn't really even slow down in the later years, more or less running at the same decent pace after the 1st millenium.

It may be a version thing, too; compared to 0.31.11 or .10, .12 is much, much faster during worldgen.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 [2] 3