No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357329 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Prepare for 1.8.
« Reply #3750 on: September 08, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »

Well, I do want to have a creative mode... We need open and Project, though... so I guess the question is, is there demand for a creative server?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 08, 2011, 08:14:05 pm »

I'd suggest making a poll, but there's already one, so...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 08, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »

Y'know, PTTG, you could use WorldEdit to copy and then paste Eisenhauge into a newly-generated world.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »

Isn't he just deleting everything except Eisenhauge and letting the game regen? Seems to me thatss even easier.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #3754 on: September 09, 2011, 01:30:34 am »

Y'know, PTTG, you could use WorldEdit to copy and then paste Eisenhauge into a newly-generated world.
1=0

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 09, 2011, 05:57:07 am »

Thinking about it I'm not sure a dedicated project server is necessary. I’ve seen other servers get good results by just declaring theme areas. The Neogaf server springs to mind. Perhaps participation drops off due to the strict rules of the project server as it now stands?  Just my random museings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 09, 2011, 06:34:08 am »

What if we built a similar city to Hengsha in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? With the Pangu and everything. I think that would be pretty cool.
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Hengsha
Plus it's a nice cross between mega structure and city.

It reminds me of Midgar from FF:VII

Yes.. it does..
Considering Square Enix's tactics of reusing stuff.. It's no surprise to me.

The only problem with such an ambitious project, is the height-limit.  :-\

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 09, 2011, 08:58:04 am »

I'm for the inception of the city in a new themed project map. But no creative mode, it spoils all effort.

Ok, I should try to play N@W and PH in parallel. And did someone figure how to make the ~Wave~ work?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:03:31 am by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

The main reason Project is separate from Open is to provide a buffer in case a griefer gets whitelisted.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:43 pm »

>.>
<.<

They're lies I tells ya! LIES!
*Hugs*

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 09, 2011, 01:03:47 pm »

What if we built a similar city to Hengsha in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? With the Pangu and everything. I think that would be pretty cool.
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Hengsha
Plus it's a nice cross between mega structure and city.

One of the main problems with a vertically designed city is that you very rarely have enough space for it, and with something as tall as Hengsha (effectively two cities stacked together, each one very tall by their own merit), you're going to run out of space even going from bedrock to skybox.

This can be worked around through Robinton's Cubic Chunks SMP mod, but it's still rather unpolished. It's still usable, so if there's enough interest in this, it's possible.

The second hurdle, however, is that cities are very hard to create with a unified design (as OJ and Henge have pointed out). Sure, you can come up with a dozen excuses as to why that won't matter (such as "Old cities are pretty patchwork anyways!"), but ultimately, it'll still look butt-ugly without design conventions.

If we were to, say, draft design specifications and conventions and make enough of an effort to follow them, a unified style is possible, but that will most likely take the fun out of simply building (this is, after all, a gaming server and not a server populated by architects and designers, no matter how much we want it to be). This is one of the main reasons that I'd rather not do another city, because it will either be sub-par or too stressful to make.

People have suggested detailed blueprints, of course, and that's a way around all of this, but I don't know if we have enough good designers here to sit around and make a thousand blueprints for all the major buildings in a large city. It doesn't seem like something a server our size is equipped for.

Thinking about it I'm not sure a dedicated project server is necessary. I’ve seen other servers get good results by just declaring theme areas. The Neogaf server springs to mind. Perhaps participation drops off due to the strict rules of the project server as it now stands?

There aren't really any strict rules as-is, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. If you mean block claiming, it was just a mechanism to prevent the kind of utter chaos you'd see normally.

The main reason is as PTTG said. It's a good reason, in my opinion, since we don't have the benefit of being able to undo griefings or rebuild easily (It's called WorldEdit, PTTG :p).

Project Creative Server: Creative mode minecraft, accessible to people who prove reasonably responsible, and with a new world- with the exception of a nice separate area around the city itself. The rest of the map, including parts that have already been explored, would be regenerated... assuming I can find a utility for that that works in any map format.

I'd also like to insert the clause "accessible to people who know their way around a build", purely for the sake of keeping headaches to a minimum.

>.>
<.<

They're lies I tells ya! LIES!

*dons tinfoil hat*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 09, 2011, 01:22:56 pm »

That cubic chunk thing is really impressive. Someone aught to tell Notch about that.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 09, 2011, 01:36:13 pm »

That cubic chunk thing is really impressive. Someone aught to tell Notch about that.

Someone has told Notch about it.

AFAIC, the post is mainly dedicated to bashing it on grounds of inefficiency/bugginess, then going on to reimplementing the same thing in the same manner and calling it "novel", plus a few extra bugs that the Cubic Chunks mod doesn't have. Notch isn't interested in it, unfortunately, as he's been discouraged by aforementioned source and as he can't implement it himself without some effort.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 09, 2011, 03:53:46 pm »

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Notch doesn't code anything anymore. It's a his intern Jed or whatever.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure Jeb isn't an intern.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 271