No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357325 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Prepare for 1.8.
« Reply #3735 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »

Ok, I've put up a poll about this. If we reset the project world, we'll be able to start from scratch, we'll get a seamless, up-to-date world, with all the latest features, and we'll have the old world available as a download.

Or, we keep the current world, continue the city and open new projects elsewhere in the world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 08, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

I don't know who is voting for a reset on the project server, but I feel that the loss of all that work would be quite the waste.

Were the project server reset, I would accept it, but I would be fairly unhappy about it.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 08, 2011, 01:55:15 pm »

Vote no then. Democracy!
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3738 on: September 08, 2011, 03:09:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:13:09 pm by Stany »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 08, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

Can't PTTG just store project somewhere? It doesn't have to be totally lost, I just want a fresh start on project.

Yes, the current project map would, in that case, be available to download.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

I agree with Lord's statement of retaining the project server and just building a new project city off in new territory on the same map.

Lest my memory be faulty.
Dev-status:

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: September 08, 2011, 05:05:27 pm »

Do we want a creative mode server?

Should the project server be creative?

Maybe just Creative/Survival/Project?

We don't have enough interest as-is to maintain anything other than Survival/Project, so I'm firmly against having yet another map tacked on to what we have already. It doesn't seem worth it, and we don't have to pursue every single crazy idea we come across.

I'm rather ambivalent about a creative-mode Project. It'd definitely help speed up projects, allow us to size up our goals and simplify resource management, but I've heard several times from various people that they enjoy the fact that they need to gather resources for whatever they do in Project too. Ultimately, I wouldn't mind either too much, so I'll just go along with what everyone else thinks of it.

I agree with Lord's statement of retaining the project server and just building a new project city off in new territory on the same map.

Lest my memory be faulty.

That was my position, yes.

Can't PTTG just store project somewhere? It doesn't have to be totally lost, I just want a fresh start on project.

If we're going with a fresh start, I'd rather we regenerate the map with a clear idea of what we'll be working together on.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 08, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »

I'm fine with starting a new project elsewhere in the project map. I would like to see it be in Creative mode, because I've always found needing to gather resources to be pretty annoying.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 08, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »

The creative issue could be solved by the project staying an SMP server but allowing spawning of materials for those that don;t want to collect. Since it's not a competitive server, this shouldn't cause any balance/fairness issues.

If we do a new project and it's not what I suggested further up, then can we plan some kind of mega-project before we start anything. Also by mega-project I don't mean something as loose as the city, I mean a DF style mega-project. Usually they'd take too long, but with multiple people we could pull off some awesome things. Planning wise, I mean mock it up in structure planner or something so we have a blueprint to work too, allowing people to just get on adding to the project.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:53:30 pm by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »

Ok, so we'll do this:

Open Survival Server: Standard minecraft, open to all the whitelistees, as now, and with a new world.

Project Creative Server: Creative mode minecraft, accessible to people who prove reasonably responsible, and with a new world- with the exception of a nice separate area around the city itself. The rest of the map, including parts that have already been explored, would be regenerated... assuming I can find a utility for that that works in any map format.

The main reason I'd lean towards city-style projects is because that way it's easy to contribute- you can just take a block and put something in it.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 08, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

Overall they don't look as impressive as a single giant mega-structure though. Apart from that, good plan

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 08, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »

Overall they don't look as impressive as a single giant mega-structure though. Apart from that, good plan

Respectfully have to disagree. The only problem with large cities is it's difficult to keep a unified theme.

Project Creative Server: Creative mode minecraft, accessible to people who prove reasonably responsible, and with a new world- with the exception of a nice separate area around the city itself. The rest of the map, including parts that have already been explored, would be regenerated... assuming I can find a utility for that that works in any map format.

While I'm glad you're keeping the city at least, I wish it was still survival. I like the challenge of getting the blocks, creative just feels... cheap, somehow?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3747 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:12:32 pm by Stany »

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 08, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »

While I'm glad you're keeping the city at least, I wish it was still survival. I like the challenge of getting the blocks, creative just feels... cheap, somehow?

I agree with this.  I feel that structures are more rewarding to build when you have to labour to build them.  Creative mode is just... too easy.
Dev-status:

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 08, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »

What if we built a similar city to Hengsha in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? With the Pangu and everything. I think that would be pretty cool.
http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Hengsha
Plus it's a nice cross between mega structure and city.

It reminds me of Midgar from FF:VII
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 271