No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357666 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: THE PROJECT IS ACTIVE
« Reply #3150 on: June 09, 2011, 04:42:37 pm »

Note that property rights continue downward...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: June 09, 2011, 05:00:15 pm »

Drawing it out on a map, most of it looks like it will be outside of the city, so claims shouldn't be much of an issue. It mostly heads east and a bit north, and so is for the most part around or a bit north of the slums.

This cave system is very large, and still has tons of resources in it; plenty of iron and coal, even in the well lit areas; if anyone needs those, head on down to the Creeperfree*!

*Disclaimer: Neither the Creeperfree Tavern, nor the Creeperfree Caverns are guaranteed to be free of creepers; proceed with caution.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:05:42 pm by alway »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: June 09, 2011, 05:10:19 pm »

Plot list (Link in OP, peeps) has been updated. I'll see if I can update the map itself sometime.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: June 09, 2011, 07:29:11 pm »

the barracks are finished, they have an edvince locker, prision, watch tower, desks and an office for the police chiefe and all kinds of stuff! :D 
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: June 09, 2011, 07:34:08 pm »

Umm... What. I thought we explained this to you.

THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS POLICE IN THE VICTORIAN ERA. I cannot make that any clearer. There were constables, who arrested on hearsay. There was not "evidence lockers" since they didn't need it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: June 09, 2011, 08:33:01 pm »

Take a chillpill bread, this is steampunk, not hardcore victornian era. If it was we would not be calling it a steampunk city now would we. If everything we did had to be historcialy accurate we would be running around and sxreaming as all our ideas had to be drasticaly changed. Besides, I don't think the world will end if one detail in a building isn't accurate to the supposed era. Who knows, our soceity could be a society that survived a aplocaypse and was heavily influnced by Victornian and steampunk ideals.  also think it would be a good idea to see the building before you rant about it.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: June 09, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »

Speaking of buildings, an updated map and more in-depth plot list would be nice. Knowing where there's already a porkery could help with decisions to found your own, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: June 09, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »

Ye gods, it's worse than you said. You didn't even spell evidence right on the "evidince locker" sign. :o
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: June 09, 2011, 09:35:17 pm »

Drawing it out on a map, most of it looks like it will be outside of the city, so claims shouldn't be much of an issue. It mostly heads east and a bit north, and so is for the most part around or a bit north of the slums.

This cave system is very large, and still has tons of resources in it; plenty of iron and coal, even in the well lit areas; if anyone needs those, head on down to the Creeperfree*!

*Disclaimer: Neither the Creeperfree Tavern, nor the Creeperfree Caverns are guaranteed to be free of creepers; proceed with caution.

heading east you say?

see if it connects to moria. if it does, then there's a good chance that it might eventually become moria, in which case we need to discuss things.

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:02 pm »

If anyone wants to take a swing at redesigning the park border structure, be my guest. I'm sick of looking at it. I'd still like to do the rest of the park when I've got the time, but the balding telephone poles need to go.
... and then it explodes!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »

How about a hedge? I hear you're pretty good at those :P With maybe a brick and sandstone wall underneath?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:40 pm »

Note for those hoping to rove around in the Creeperfree Caverns: To get there, there is a dungeon access door on the stairs leading down to the main cavern chamber. This door is marked as such, and you will know it when you see it.

Since this area is level 2 of the creeperfree, there are 4 possible entrances to get to level 2: The first two are the doors on the stage of the main level 1 room, the third is in the side room overlooking the stage (down a trapdoor covered stairway), and the fourth is through the trapdoor in the basement of the Eerfrepeerc Cheese Distillery in the slums. All 4 get you to level 2, but the first 3 are recommended as it is easier to find the dungeon entrance. As a side note: everyone I brought down there for the first time instinctively ran towards the 'Smuggler's Alley.' So to clarify, this is a dead-end meant to look like an old, abandoned tunnel; there is nothing actually there aside from an overlook into a cavern area which can be accessed elsewhere.

As a follow-up to Japa's above post, we looked through the cave and determined that it is unlikely the two are connected; this of course could be false, but both cave systems seem to have been explored to the point where any such meeting along their edges would be very unexpected.

I agree with IronyOwl; more plot about the city is required. Basic questions such as how a city developed over time, what sort of people live there, their outlook on life, ect are quite important for building style. This will become increasingly important when we begin work on the lower class areas, as those are not designed so much as they are grown like a moss upon the aura of the city. At this point the directive for building is little more than 'sometime before world war 1 and after we stopped living in mud huts.'
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:32:08 pm by alway »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:18 pm »

I agree with IronyOwl; more plot about the city is required. Basic questions such as how a city developed over time, what sort of people live there, their outlook on life, ect are quite important for building style. This will become increasingly important when we begin work on the lower class areas, as those are not designed so much as they are grown like a moss upon the aura of the city. At this point the directive for building is little more than 'sometime before world war 1 and after we stopped living in mud huts.'

I kind of have thrown to together a (very basic) plot in my head as part of the temple design process, it might be in line with what others are thinking. There are also notes on why I think this line of reasoning makes sense with the current city in brackets.

Several hundred years ago, seven settlers came to the city's grounds (as per the tombs in the temple main floor) from a distant shore by boat (why the temple is on the shore). They constructed rudimentary buildings and dug caverns for ores and materials, destroying old buildings as they went (hence why places like the Underhaven and Moria lack many permanent residences - they were dug and expanded for years until reaching their present state... and may even change again. And also why the town is such a hodgepodge of different designs).

As the prosperity of the city grew with the discovery of rare ores and metals, additional settlers arrived and expanded the city. It wasn't long until the wealth had attracted even great noblemen (original settlers of the 'high end' portion of the city, construction of the keep). However, strange and forboding prophecies came to be written about the city as it grew (the creepy signs in the quarry reed farm, the stuff I mention in the attic of the temple). But this did not stop the influx of many settlers looking to strike it rich (the development of the slums and the middle class area) - not all of them successful or pure-of-heart.

With time, the city grew to encompass a great stretch of land, straddling distant shores with vacation homes, refineries and deep mines (the spawn area, the quarry, building outside the city). Rampant growth encouraged dangerous practices (the great fire) but the stonework of the city and its guild of master craftsmen could withstand almost anything thrown at it.

[What follows I just made up now]

Within recent memory, great upheavals in technology have been accomplished - lighter than air travel (airships and balloons), artificial lighting (lightstone from the nether), and massive machinery and automation (I'm working on a forge design that I intend to make look somewhat automated, the question is getting all the parts to play nicely together - I think across the harbour, at the quarry for example, would be an excellent place to build huge industrial looking buildings). The city is rapidly responding to these changes, although much of the old character, architecture, and building design, is trapped underneath new, hastily constructed, technology.

Most of the people that originally settled the city were stoneworkers, miners, and metalworkers. They were joined by peasants, farmers, hunters, and great noblemen, mostly those involved in the mining trade. As the mines ran out of easily accessible materials, many workers were laid off and have become angry and bitter at their former masters and coworkers, some of whom have grown rich from their labours. Many more workers were crippled over the years and forced to stop working (this may provide a general feel for the slums). However, there is always someone looking to make a quick buck in the guise of 'helping' the worse-off.

Around the time of the many innovations, there were also a great deal of layoffs in the mine due to a dry-spell in mineral discoveries, which resulted in a riot in and around the keep. Soldiers fired on the crowd after being attacked from the inside, supposedly by the crowd although there has been no formal investigation. This resulted in the keep being redesigned somewhat, in order to prevent that from occurring again (the crenels on the inside). There is still some resentment among the older lower-class.

Master stoneworkers always have work - construction is always in demand, as are high quality crafts. Farmers and hunters have increasingly moved outside the city, but others have changed their trade to become bakers and butchers. The demand for these services is dropping over time as the amount of imports increases, but there will always be a market for them. Some of them are going out of business with the advent of faster transit, but they will be putting up a good fight.

Those who worked in the metal industries have seen a resurgence in their craft but have never really been out of work. Even if the mines ran dry, the other cities would send their most valuable ores to Eisenhauge to smelt and work, as many great craftsmen were, and are, in the city. This has also led to a continually thriving import/export business, along with the associated services (bars, hotels, shadier stuff). The most innovative craftsmen are now building forges and huge industrial mining complexes (but these marvels of technology need remarkably few employees...). Some in the import/export business are keeping up with the times as well and preparing for aeronautical ventures. Most craftsmen are either completely independent, funded by a decadent nobleman, or part of a collective of craftsmen working in the same shop. 

The noblemen who ventured to the city are increasingly finding themselves out-of-the-loop and are becoming increasingly decadent. Only those who have taken an interest in the thriving businesses of the craftsmen are actually making money these days - the rest lounge about in their massive estates, writing angry editorials and letters to whoever will read them about the ungrateful lower classes. There are fears they will use their influence over other cities and their massive stocks of gold to impose their brand order on the city.

Soldiers in the city were mostly phased out over the years in favour of a sort of military police, with the keep nothing but a historical relic, except for the most dangerous of criminals who may be held somewhere in its depths. Officially they report to the mayor of Eisenhauge, but by decree following the riots, no one except the ruler of the realm can issue direct orders to them. However, even the ruler's ear must have a price. Whether anyone in the city can afford that price is debatable.

There is also a new class of citizens moving to the city - explorers and pilots seeking to use the city as a base of operations, or as another port of call. What their goals are remains to be seen. Most are merely visiting - a city with so much 'on the ground' doesn't interest them - although others are seeking to expand the sky-ward part of the city.

TL;DR: Industrial revolution era, history somewhat DF-esque. Not the centre of discovery of the newest technologies but they are arriving there daily.
Miners mostly out of work, lots of import/export, good metalworkers, decadent/out-of-touch nobles. Soldiers controlled by distant crown, act only as police/security. Incoming innovators with unknown goals.
Sprawling caverns the result of rampant mining, although most work ended a long time ago and resulted in unhappy miners.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:35 am »

Alway, the creeperfree tavern extends somewhat more than questionably past the border of your requested alottment beneath the bluff.  The "smugglers alley" extends well beyond those bounds.  Please keep coordinates in mind when digging away under the ground as locational ownership extends to bedrock, lest easments are allowed.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:13 am »

If it stays low, he's fine by me. He does have to deal with Japa though. :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 271