No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357822 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Whitelist updated again!
« Reply #2760 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:27 pm »

If there is sufficient interest, I can also attempt to add in a cart tradeback system that will send an empty cart in the opposite direction of any outbound traffic; in theory this would ensure that there is always a constant level of carts at each station. That said, it would be expensive in both redstone, gold and/or iron, and given the redstone bugs we've observed, possibly a cause of FUN (tm).

Yes. You must do this. It must be implemented.

Okay, so I've been looking into what I would need to do to build a cart tradeback system, and this post is basically all my notes on the subject.

Spoiler: Breakdown (click to show/hide)

As such, considering what I've learnt since my last post on the topic, I do not believe it is worth the effort.

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: May 04, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »

I've only got one thing to say: it's ‼science‼ time! :D
Good luck OJ!

And for the keep I'll just add that despite its current squareness on the plan its towers will be based upon the round ones built around the city.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2762 on: May 04, 2011, 02:20:59 pm »

OK, then we'll work on some other system. I still think some kind of subway system would be good, but a cheaper one that can be made with available resources would be better than one that can't reasonably be done.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: May 04, 2011, 04:56:21 pm »

So. Finally got around to popping onto the server today, and found it quite odd. I spawned in a giant obsidian room, and if that wasn't odd enough, I found a ladder down to a mine where none of the stuff you'd want was mined, and all the plain stone was gone. Can someone explain this to me?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: May 04, 2011, 05:00:31 pm »

So. Finally got around to popping onto the server today, and found it quite odd. I spawned in a giant obsidian room, and if that wasn't odd enough, I found a ladder down to a mine where none of the stuff you'd want was mined, and all the plain stone was gone. Can someone explain this to me?

If you mean Sandbox then I have no idea.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: May 04, 2011, 05:59:51 pm »

Nope. It was the Main server.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: May 04, 2011, 06:17:13 pm »

Nope. It was the Main server.

Sandbox.

The obsidian room is for safety against mobs.  It is an unfinished structure.  The "mine" below is just an empty space that I made for the various uses of OPs, considering nothing within is manipulatable by non-OPs.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: May 04, 2011, 06:22:14 pm »

Oh. Huh. TMYK.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19:08 pm »

OK, then we'll work on some other system. I still think some kind of subway system would be good, but a cheaper one that can be made with available resources would be better than one that can't reasonably be done.

Oh, I wasn't saying we wouldn't have a subway system, just that a tradeback system was too pricey. I will get started on mining the subway next time I'm on.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: May 04, 2011, 11:02:08 pm »

Oh. Huh. TMYK.

I... don't even know what that means...

Welcome to planehacked, anyhow!
Dev-status:

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: May 04, 2011, 11:03:00 pm »

The more you know.

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #2771 on: May 05, 2011, 01:20:26 am »

OJ, surely we could add in the tradeback system afterwards with a seperate line (bit costly, might work on the main line with one way tracks or something) and as it approches the next station, that station knows how many carts it has in it's store and either choses to take that cart or send it on to the next one. This would mean it would not require and redstone between stations for the tradeback system.
1=0

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 05, 2011, 02:12:28 am »

The issue with that is that is then carts getting sent on will eventually end up somewhere else beyond the load limit. If traffic is typically between two destinations, you could end up with a pile up of unloaded carts just beyond that station. When it is finally loaded, it would overwhelm the cart sorting at whichever station they appear at. In case you're wondering, 2-3 carts in very close succession could break sorting systems simply due to the length of a pressure plate reset.

Putting nodes more than the chunk load diameter apart would also introduce new problems, where the tradeback cart never even makes it back to the original station. More to the point though, the cost in a tradeback system is more in the sorting, storage and shunting system at each tradeback node then the wiring between nodes, (the reason I said long distance stations cost more is that they required multiple nodes).

Finally, we still have the issue with redstone bugs, they would be able to play absolute havoc with this system.

Look, since building each station isn't too costly under the current plan, I'll build them so that they are spaced such that we have the option of converting them later. We don't have to update, but if we get the resources to do so, we will be able to. Just so long as people understand that tunnels and station points are not to be dug near, unless you don't mind having them possibly filled in later.

Also, with the slums, can people please avoid building up onto the bluff to north? No one has yet, but some of the structures are getting awfully close (especially that tower... which also raises the question of why there is a narrow sculpted tower in among a collection of hovels anyway?). I say this because I will eventually be doing some work on the top of that bluff (extending city walls along the cliff edge, for starters).

EDIT: Huuuhhh. Doing some testing, it looks like the figure I have for chunk load is bollocks, on Far I can see almost twice what I should be able to. Considering the source I had said it was independant of render distance, that has me thinking.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:17:18 am by Osmosis Jones »

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #2773 on: May 05, 2011, 11:25:57 am »

But seeing as we're not doing the tradeback system we don't need to worry about the redstone between stations (and I don't think we need that as well). If notch ever makes it so detector rails can be like wood and stone pressure plates that would fix the reset problem. Also are we going with dual track (Inbound and Outboud) for each line/tunnel?
1=0

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 05, 2011, 04:33:11 pm »

Somebody killed one of my dogs on the main(sandbox) server.  That is not nice.
Dev-status:
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 271