No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357821 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Whitelist updated again!
« Reply #2745 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:38 am »

I wish to express concern about the aerial road near where the keep will be.  It is ugly, to be blunt, and that worries me, especially with its height and overall appearance disrupting the image of the city.  Just saying.
I agree with Henge here - I'm told it is intended to be the wall of the keep, but it IS ugly and completely disrupts the feel of the city. Even for a keep, the walls should be similar to the outer walls and follow the terrain line, not be a sheer, perfectly leveled cobblestone box. I'm not sure who is responsible for the keep walls, but whomever it is, please consider improving the walls to better fit the general aesthetic of the city.

Oh god... that keep wall is... ack. It's like Dragonshardz said; it should not be flat on top, and that's not going to change as it nears completion.  :( Also, there's no shape to it, though I admit that might change a little as it gets built...

The railways will be replaced by a subway eventually, don't worry. Just let me finish the city walls first :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: May 02, 2011, 04:13:34 am »

I wish to express concern about the aerial road near where the keep will be.  It is ugly, to be blunt, and that worries me, especially with its height and overall appearance disrupting the image of the city.  Just saying.
I agree with Henge here - I'm told it is intended to be the wall of the keep, but it IS ugly and completely disrupts the feel of the city. Even for a keep, the walls should be similar to the outer walls and follow the terrain line, not be a sheer, perfectly leveled cobblestone box. I'm not sure who is responsible for the keep walls, but whomever it is, please consider improving the walls to better fit the general aesthetic of the city.

Oh god... that keep wall is... ack. It's like Dragonshardz said; it should not be flat on top, and that's not going to change as it nears completion.  :( Also, there's no shape to it, though I admit that might change a little as it gets built...

The railways will be replaced by a subway eventually, don't worry. Just let me finish the city walls first :P

It's not final, it's just a frame to see where the walls and the keep should be, plan-wised. It's supposed to be temporary and indicative, and to be filled later. I could lower the whole thing, or just some parts, to keep the central hill peaking upon it. Actually I could fortify the hill, like I did for Eden valley. Please share your ideas! :D
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: May 02, 2011, 04:34:02 am »

If they are meant to be walls, I would suggest lowering the northern side significantly and/or raising the walls toward the south. As I've expressed elsewhere, flat walls look sterile. Fortifications would be a good addition, as would turrets that project out from the wall; they provide a bit of 3-dimensionality to the structure, and give the eye something to focus and follow.

If they are meant to represent the borders of what will be a flat hill top, I beg you to reconsider. With careful planning, you will be able to fit a very large structure on that hilltop that still manages to look amazing, without needing to level it. Filling it with cobble would be difficult (trust me, the walls as is used a metric crapton of cobble, that would be something else entirely), look entirely unrealistic, and destroy what is actually a very nice terrain feature with several adjacent plateaus perfect for seperate wings of a single building.

Finally, if the keep is going to be constricted to just the walled in area, you miss a lot of space out to the east; it's a nice broad ridge, which, except for that one road running up to the wall, is completely empty. Build out to the east, and give the walls some curves along the north side (shift the road and landscape the terrain so it looks more like it used to under the dirt, then build the walls to follow), and you will have a huge space to build, a nice layout, and a commanding position perfect for a keep.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:59 am »

They are definitely not walls. They're roads to surround the keep.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: May 02, 2011, 12:03:03 pm »

Then I would say you really, truly, do not want them anywhere near that high.

In other news, I will very shortly begin constructing the subway system. Tracks will be run in pairs (an outbound and inbound line, which will have one way track pieces at their entrance to ensure correct travel direction), in tunnels at about 10 below sea level. The central hub will use a modified pez dispenser (which will allow a clear display of how many carts are in the hopper), and minor stations will consist of stop points with an additional booster.

If there is sufficient interest, I can also attempt to add in a cart tradeback system that will send an empty cart in the opposite direction of any outbound traffic; in theory this would ensure that there is always a constant level of carts at each station. That said, it would be expensive in both redstone, gold and/or iron, and given the redstone bugs we've observed, possibly a cause of FUN (tm).

Anyhoo, I would be happy to take suggestions for track destinations; currently I'm thinking there will be a central station, as well as additional stations at East Gate, West Gate, South Gate, Slum Gate (Old East Gate), and maybe a few other points scattered within the city, and then more distant stations at spawn and the mining camp. The location for the central station also needs to be decided; I was thinking of putting it approximately where the tree just east of the central crater is on the old project map, but I'm open to better suggestions.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: May 02, 2011, 12:30:13 pm »

If there is sufficient interest, I can also attempt to add in a cart tradeback system that will send an empty cart in the opposite direction of any outbound traffic; in theory this would ensure that there is always a constant level of carts at each station. That said, it would be expensive in both redstone, gold and/or iron, and given the redstone bugs we've observed, possibly a cause of FUN (tm).

Yes. You must do this. It must be implemented.

Anyhoo, I would be happy to take suggestions for track destinations; currently I'm thinking there will be a central station, as well as additional stations at East Gate, West Gate, South Gate, Slum Gate (Old East Gate), and maybe a few other points scattered within the city, and then more distant stations at spawn and the mining camp. The location for the central station also needs to be decided; I was thinking of putting it approximately where the tree just east of the central crater is on the old project map, but I'm open to better suggestions.

A central station, I expect, would go somewhere in upper residential or civic.

West end would be middle/upper residential, northeast civic and southeast lower to middle class residential and waterfront. Beyond the walls on the east would be slums.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: May 02, 2011, 02:20:35 pm »

I say that the structures should govern the roads, not vice versa.  Otherwise, there is a sort of lack in fluidity.  Probably a little late to say it, but I figured I should anyways, if only for the sake of the keep.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2752 on: May 02, 2011, 03:41:43 pm »

I say that the structures should govern the roads, not vice versa.  Otherwise, there is a sort of lack in fluidity.  Probably a little late to say it, but I figured I should anyways, if only for the sake of the keep.

It's not exactly realistic, but placing the roads first is a good way to establish the lots so that people can start the fun part of the building process.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: May 02, 2011, 04:15:25 pm »

It's not exactly realistic, but placing the roads first is a good way to establish the lots so that people can start the fun part of the building process.

Though I was speaking generally about the construction of the roads, I was meaning specifically about the keep, because such a formidable structure placed in such a confined location can lessen its capacity for aesthetics.  Aside from where the keep will be, I'm fine with the roads being pre-formed.

I just feel that structures that are generally critical to a city's development (Keep, church, etcetera) should be more critical than the roads.
Dev-status:

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: May 02, 2011, 07:15:34 pm »

Just got minecraft! Can't wait to play on the server :D
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:15 pm »

If PTTG?  is intreasted there is a pistons mod on the Minecraft forums. It wouldn' be that game vhanging but would make sure this city will feel like something steampunk. If not well the you can ingore this.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: May 02, 2011, 10:03:46 pm »

If PTTG?  is intreasted there is a pistons mod on the Minecraft forums. It wouldn' be that game vhanging but would make sure this city will feel like something steampunk. If not well the you can ingore this.

[changed to something less rude] We've discussed this already. [/changed to something less rude]

Besides, that would be quite game changing for everybody that would then be required to mod their minecraft to play.

Oh, the revised lighthouse is now standing, I still have some work to finish on it, namely the light housing.  The structure was refinished in the general design of the outer walls, for a greater sense of continuity.

Update:  The light/reflector for the lighthouse is built and functioning, but incomplete.  The Netherrack was produced via adequate sacrifice, as approved by PTTG.  Keep in mind, the light shines out to sea, as the reflector doesn't work well if it shines everywhere, as how things work in real life.  I am open to suggestions for modifications.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:27:41 pm by shadowsofwhite »
Dev-status:

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »

One of the major drawcards of this server is that it's unmodded. So, while it is fine to fantasize about pistons etc., we won't be seeing them until notch adds them to vanilla.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: May 04, 2011, 07:23:48 am »

I tore down the so-loved aerial roads and prepared a new plan for the keep.

Spoiler: Bad plan (click to show/hide)
With T for the towers. This plan is based on using the highest plateau for the keep itself, and the lowest one for the entry court. The keep will perhaps be square.

What do you think?
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: May 04, 2011, 07:38:37 am »

I'm not a huge fan of square walls, curves look more natural IMO, but this is already a huge improvement over the last design. Just make sure to incorporate the terrain into the design and it should turn out alright.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 271