No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357934 times)

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Whitelist updated
« Reply #2565 on: April 19, 2011, 01:40:51 am »

one of grand central's platforms is out of order, bob-something or other went down into maintenance for whatever reason and messed something up, cart delivery and propulsion were screwed up, but I managed to fix cart delivery.(sloppily, probably want a better looking fix down there at some point)
Sorry about the whole mess,
Scaraban

Some dipshit replaced the stone pressure plate on the south booster with a wooden one. I don't know which one is supposed to be which to make the implies gate work properly.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: April 19, 2011, 02:51:40 am »

Son of a b***h. I'm coming in.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: April 19, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

Argggh and he fucked with track selection. Also, guys, seriously, if the departure booster isn't working, don't just shove more carts in there. Why does that always happen?

EDIT: Who the hell is this bob guy? Because if he did this, I'm going to ban him. This isn't just stupid screwing around, this required actual conscious sabotage.

EDIT EDIT: Fixed it all. Please, PLEASE don't fuck with the circuitry, people.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:19:07 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

DwarfWalrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:41 am »

Hey guys, been reading about all this Renaissance city stuff, and it sound to me if you want to have that with piston tracks and fairytale towers etc, then it might be advisable to go for a more Steampunk feel, considering that renaissance/gothic architecture with semi futuristic technology IS steampunk really. I'm not that much of a fan of the whole steampunk craze, but it is certainly an intriguing architectural style.

Plus there is this awesome texture pack for steampunk stuff here http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=48884

There is also alot of steampunk concept art for cities that might help people get the feel for it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:54 am »

Steampunk would pretty immense imho. I'm not liking the way the idea for the project seems to be drifting away from my initial point of doing it co-operatively in that while I know everyone can't plan it, I think that everyone that is taking part should have an equal opportunity to make suggestions on the plan.

To keep things fair and to stop anyone getting angry or anything, maybe we should move forwards from this point making decisions using a democratic voting systems of some kind. I'm not sure how we would only allow projects members to vote if we used forum polls but I could quickly knock together a simple web page with a whitelist to do it or something. Another option would be to just vote in the tread and manually count the responses from trusted players.

Another reason that I initially suggested only allowing trusted builders was to avoid some of the less experienced community members from building over the top or immature structures like we sometimes get on the server. While I don't want to exclude people, I think we should keep things as sensible as possible. If we do this maturely and well we could in theory add it to one of the great Minecraft projects you see on youtube and places.

A steampunk city with pistons sounds like a really fun idea from both the building and using points of view and would also help keep the different types of players in the player base happy. People that aren't into digging/building as much as they are into logic and traps etc. would be better cattered too than with some of the other ideas as this type of project needs people with all different types of minecraft skills.

Maybe to keep the structure of the city but still allow some level of individual building freedom we should allocate the land as we expand in various fixed sized blocks/plots of land with initial transport  links etc. pre planned and allocated, possibly reserving some land for future expansion.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2570 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:03 am »

I like the Steampunk idea.

That's my two cents for now, though I definitely want to see something applied to ALL Planehacked servers that lets non-OPs check who is on. That is a simple serverside mod with Bukkit, in fact, I don't think it's anything else other than vanilla Bukkit.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:55 am »

Steampunk me-likey.

To keep things fair and to stop anyone getting angry or anything, maybe we should move forwards from this point making decisions using a democratic voting systems of some kind. I'm not sure how we would only allow projects members to vote if we used forum polls but I could quickly knock together a simple web page with a whitelist to do it or something. Another option would be to just vote in the tread and manually count the responses from trusted players.

As for a committee based decision system, can we do it by PMs? Either way, in the meantime we should probably start suggesting actual map seeds.  If everyone suggests a seed or two, we can all try them out, vote on the one we want, and then move to the actual planning phase. After all, there's not too much point doing up a plan without surveying the terrain first.
With that in mind, I suggest "Halls" (or possibly "halls" all lowercase, can't really recall) as a seed. It's suitably epic, without quite as many floating islands as glacier.

Maybe to keep the structure of the city but still allow some level of individual building freedom we should allocate the land as we expand in various fixed sized blocks/plots of land with initial transport  links etc. pre planned and allocated, possibly reserving some land for future expansion.

This. Oh so much this. I would suggest a few guidelines (like a real-life council's Residential Codes) that would govern basic aesthetics; no solid single material structures, no building out over the boundaries of your plot, maybe force a requirement that at least 2 blocks seperate each plot etc., but otherwise what you build should generally be up to you. Major civic buildings should be done by communal deliberation though, of course.

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:11 am »

This. Oh so much this. I would suggest a few guidelines (like a real-life council's Residential Codes) that would govern basic aesthetics; no solid single material structures, no building out over the boundaries of your plot, maybe force a requirement that at least 2 blocks seperate each plot etc., but otherwise what you build should generally be up to you. Major civic buildings should be done by communal deliberation though, of course.

/Agree.  We can zone land for specific uses (residential, industrial, etc).  If we all agree on a time period or general style (steam punk for example), we'll end up with a city that looks unified while still allowing for individual artistic freedom during construction.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: April 19, 2011, 09:21:45 am »

/Agree.  We can zone land for specific uses (residential, industrial, etc).  If we all agree on a time period or general style (steam punk for example), we'll end up with a city that looks unified while still allowing for individual artistic freedom during construction.
quote++;
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:45 am »

Agreed.

I'm still drafting the city, I'll just update it for a Victorian theme then

Also, since we're going for Victorian Steampunk, when you build remember to think London rather than Manhattan.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: April 19, 2011, 11:48:08 am »

PTTG has left for his week away? If so, server compatibility was just broken so I guess the project is on hold anyway?

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
« Reply #2576 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:04 am »

Well the project won't start till he gets back to reset the map anyway. (He is resseting the map for this? right?)
1=0

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 19, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »

Don't rely on there being pistons, folks. They were not added in the update, though there are now powered mine tracks.

Oh, GC won't work anymore, because the cart hoppers will no longer move carts to be distributed.

Compatability will be fixed when PTTG returns.

As far as I know, there will be no map reset.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 19, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »

Reading the bugs list, I'm more worried about the fact that any cart going from south into a corner that connects N to W can crash the game... virtually every station has that :O

bobusdoleus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:19 pm »

Oh, Hi, I'm that Bob guy. Just saying, I most definitely did not consciously sabotage anything. I popped on to the server just once, yesterday, for a brief period to have my first look around. I did try to have a ride on the mine-carts: First I tried the platform with Moria on, but it didn't work, depositing me somewhere in maintenance. I was very careful not to touch anything, and a helpful player (Scaraban) helped lead me out. I didn't add any minecarts to anything, I didn't build or carry minecarts at any point (or anything else for that matter). I then had a ride on the other platform, I believe successfully, depositing me over at the area near the Tower of Ominousness. In conclusion, while I am not familiar with the transit system and may have inadvertently damaged something in some way of which I am not aware - and if I have, I apologize, I seriously didn't mean to! - I certainly have not sabotaged anything deliberately.

Just thought I should give my report there, so's to avoid any misunderstanding, now that there's a post mentioning my name in connection with possible sabotage. There was another player on at the same time as me, name of Scaraban, who may be able to vouch for at least part of what I am saying.

EDIT: I see that Sacraban already mentioned my being there, and in fact reported me for possible infraction. That's totally fair, I'd be suspicious of me too. I'd just like to say, I honestly intended no harm, I was just fascinated by the whole place and wanted a look around. I have no idea how me trying to ride a minecart may have resulted in any sort of extensive damage. I can only hope y'all will assume good faith on my part.

EDIT ONCE MORE: I've also read something about replacing a pressure plate somewhere with something? I'd just like to say again, definitely not me. I have constructed exactly zero things, and have placed nothing as well, save a single black cloth block at some point waaay outside any minecart-related area - on some grass - that I then removed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:14:04 pm by bobusdoleus »
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 271