No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 358526 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server:It's BETA than before!
« Reply #1335 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:43 am »

Having a large normal-world area surrounded by nether actually sounds like an interesting idea. Kind of an "oasis of civilization struggling to survive in the middle of a hostile wilderness" feel to it. It would certainly give people a reason to stay near spawn, work together, and be social instead of everyone wandering off and doing their own thing, which could be fun. Maybe we could build a town in the middle, with a massive cobblestone wall at the edge of the nether to keep the gasts out. I don't know if you could make ore spawn in the nether, but having valuable deposits near the surface would give a reason to launch expeditions into dangerous territory.

This would actually give me a reason to visit Planehacked more often. I vote YES.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 22, 2010, 01:38:59 am »

I logged in and found that the lag was intense. I would dig a cube and it would come back, then disappear, then come back, then pop out the material item, which I couldn't pick up for several seconds. Placing objects worked the same way. Torches popped in and out, and changed which facing was displayed. I was blown up by a creeper that was lagged to standstill and jumped right over to me instantly. I survived but jumped off a cliff and hit, taking no damage, then walked a ways and suddenly died.

I'm on cable. Is this normal Minecraft MP lag? Or is something going wrong?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1337 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:23 am »

This is normal for the time being. We are working on buying better hardware that we'll set up in a different place with a better connection.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 22, 2010, 04:26:30 am »

Well, strictly speaking, it's a bog-standard server except for the nether mode switch being thrown.

I've never visited the nether, but from what I've heard it doesn't contain stone, trees, or ore. It might be an interesting place at first, but what would you do there?

Aside from that one case, I don't care if you alter the environment by changing biomes or tweaking resources or whatever. That's just "changing settings" in my opinion, because the game is still fundamentally the same Minecraft we all bought. What I don't want to see is a bunch of mods that change or add things not in keeping with the game's character, like UFOs, land zoning, and complex economies. No sci-fi or hierarchical systems, please.  :)

- Nether with alternating normal world chunks- I can only seem to find crude ways to do that, mainly by first generating the starting area, then saving the world and toggling the settings while reloading the world. That'd make a largeish normal world area surrounded by infinite nether, or vice versa.

Having a large normal-world area surrounded by nether actually sounds like an interesting idea. Kind of an "oasis of civilization struggling to survive in the middle of a hostile wilderness" feel to it. It would certainly give people a reason to stay near spawn, work together, and be social instead of everyone wandering off and doing their own thing, which could be fun. Maybe we could build a town in the middle, with a massive cobblestone wall at the edge of the nether to keep the gasts out. I don't know if you could make ore spawn in the nether, but having valuable deposits near the surface would give a reason to launch expeditions into dangerous territory.

Large biomes are nice too, I guess.

Though this is a valid viewpoint, what I feel is a necessity is a server mod such as hey0. There is nothing game-breaking about it. It will give people access to some nifty commands like /who, shortens some others, and will let moderators moderate better.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 22, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

Lord, in relation to the code in your sig; why while(0==0) and not simply while(1)? They would achieve the same result but while(1) is less typing...
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:05 am »

Ah. Thanks for that.  :)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:24 am »

Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:42 am »

I wonder if that operation terminates. Too bad there's no way to prove it won't.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 22, 2010, 11:47:39 am »

I wonder if that operation terminates. Too bad there's no way to prove it won't.

No, it won't terminate. You can see that by looking at the code, since there is no way for it to terminate.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 22, 2010, 11:47:50 am »

Neither would ever terminate since they both equate to while(true)

Edit: Got Ninja'd

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 22, 2010, 11:49:08 am »

PTTG, updaet servurr pless

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 22, 2010, 11:57:23 am »

PTTG, updaet servurr pless

ETA: 4-5 hours.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 22, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »

Yes you can.  Show that every condition to continue the loop is always true.

You can prove some loops are infinite, but not every.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 22, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »

How do I join?
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 22, 2010, 03:19:33 pm »

CHarles cancels homework, Reason: happy about server finally back on!
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 271