No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 358907 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: LLAMA MODE GO
« Reply #495 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:55 pm »

I'm just going to point out that if the connection is especially bogged down, having that smokeping hitting it constantly can't be a good idea...
And I'm going to point out the bandwidth used by the smokeping is 0.06kb/s ... If you're -THAT- bad in terms of bandwidth, give up.
Bandwidth and pong (not a typo) are two different things.
One packet can make a colossal difference if it's placed awkwardly in the stream.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 17, 2010, 06:51:15 pm »

Er... did the server go down?

I keep timing out during the login so you're not alone in not being able to get on.

Edit: added word "not"
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:03:54 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 17, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »

I'm just going to point out that if the connection is especially bogged down, having that smokeping hitting it constantly can't be a good idea...
And I'm going to point out the bandwidth used by the smokeping is 0.06kb/s ... If you're -THAT- bad in terms of bandwidth, give up.
Bandwidth and pong (not a typo) are two different things.
One packet can make a colossal difference if it's placed awkwardly in the stream.
Not really. Not one bit. It's not like I'm PoDing or Smurfing them, even tho I don't think there is a single network in the internet vulnerable to that anymore.

Ping, and pong for that matter, which is an spoofed ICMP0 attack, have -everything- to do with bandwidth. ICMP packets do use your bandwidth and do use your router or cpu time (which ever responds to the ping in your network) just like any other internet protocol. Even so, to flood someone you'd have to have more bandwidth than what's available to them at the moment. A 1kb ping every 3 seconds will never ever slow you down. Even if your bandwidth is all used up, it will just show a larger ping since it will fall into packet queuing due to limited bandwidth.

Unless someone is actively flooding you with irregular pings, it will not affect you.

Back in the days I used to pong and pod people from 3 *nix boxes I had access to. I had this awesome script that DoSed people on IRC whenever they joined our room and went a/s/l, cyber, and things like that.

Edit: Actually, to be fair in this case, it will slow you down by 0.06kb/s but if that's a problem.... damn... and nope, ICMP0s have low priority, they will not jump ahead a TCP queuing, so they wont delay packets.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:07:48 pm by Soulwynd »

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »

Two things that are related...

1. I need a LOT of sand, I'm trying to make a MASSIVE sand pyramid, it will take literally thousands of blocks of sand. So, if anyone wants to donate any amount of sand to my cause, I would be very thankful.

2. This more concerns Bluebird, but I'm currently strip-mining the main island in his pic for sand, just FYI for Bluebird.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »

If you mean the island that's top-mid in that picture, then go for it. I don't have anything on that island, I was just going so close to it that I connected my bridge there and build the gatehouse at the juncture. If you mean the coast at the left, then I don't really care that much as long as you leave the path marked by the torches. I DID see some torches and stuff in the caves on the top-mid island, though, so someone else may have a bit of a claim there, I'm not sure.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 17, 2010, 09:42:01 pm »

The house with the cactus fence is mine, and yeah, feel free to build to that small island. If you want help turning it into a stone and wood bridge later on, let me know, I have a boatload of resources :P

Also Calvin, while I was exploring the caves under my base, I popped out on that larger island, so if you were wondering where the extra torches in the cave came from, there ya go :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #501 on: September 17, 2010, 10:25:20 pm »

We've gotten the server working again!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 17, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »

It appears to just not connect me properly now. So that part of it is working, i guess.

Does the logging in, gives me a "to long to log in" error after about 2-3 seconds.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:13:33 pm by sneakey pete »
Magma is overrated.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:55 pm »

That's cause the ping is extremely high right now.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 18, 2010, 01:39:59 am »

To whoever's tunnel was under my monolith fort near spawn, sorry about the museum, but feel free to add rectangular sections in the same manner of the main tower. Like so:

X
  X
  X
XX
XX
XX

GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 18, 2010, 09:48:56 am »

:( Someone destroyed a large part of my roof, I know we had a crash, but the roof was finished days before then, and the thing I was actually building when the crash happened is intact, aside from the part that was situated on the section of roof that is destroyed.

EDIT:: On a tottaly unrelated topic, I found this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
while getting 4 leather for my boots, the game seems to think that it is armor, maybe from the Secret Saturday? But notch hasn't updated his blog, my Minecraft client never updated, and I can find no references to it on the wiki.

Also here is my new skin for anyone that cares: http://www.minecraft.net/skin/skin.jsp?user=C4lv1n
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:02:49 am by C4lv1n »

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #506 on: September 18, 2010, 10:10:29 am »

:( Someone destroyed a large part of my roof

nope, some parts of the server reset itself to an earlier version.

you can see it better if you go to my garden, on one level, all the trees have been cut in half vertically.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 18, 2010, 10:23:59 am »

Both my house and my mine have been cut by the crash. I'm using it as an excuse to add another floor to my house; I'm still not sure if I like how it looks now.

edit: Minecraft crashed, wasn't responding at all, black screen, after restarting it I time out during login.
edit: Scratch that, back in now. I was worried it'd eat my house again hehe.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:26:15 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 18, 2010, 10:26:12 am »

I've just been on the official RPS minecraft server, and even with their expensive rented server it has severe lag spike issues. Looks like it's a general problem.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 18, 2010, 10:28:37 am »

Anyone know about the item in the pic in my last post?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 271