No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357335 times)

electronics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Minecraft Address of the server
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: It's Official!
« Reply #3960 on: May 12, 2013, 07:27:41 am »

I'm still around, just a lot of exams now. But inbetween exams and afterwards I'd definitley be up for playing.
1=0

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3961 on: May 12, 2013, 08:08:14 am »

Well I think with the right plugins, SMP is as easy to build in as creative but with added interesting things to do. Well I'll have to do a load reading about setting these plugins up with bukkit but they look useful. I also liked the look of CraftBook tbh, would anyone object?

-snip-

The first rule of PlaneHacked is don't talk about PlaneHacked... The Inner Server

I have to admit LNCP, I've not really run a proper server before so I don't know what  //cyl 0 300 80. is :/ I need to do some reading and attempt setting some stuff up. Would it be worth going ahead with this then and getting a forum up to move to?

I beleive that is a cylinder made of cacti.

Also include BiomeBrush in the plugins list, because it is good to be able to paint biomes around. I have a project at the moment (the non-euclidean castle) which is slowly taking shape. However it has one issue - I'm using a custom texture pack where several ores and other blocks got replaced by other stuff. That tower render I posted which is made of white stone actually is made of jungle wood, but I replaced the textures for something more useful than a fourth wood hue. I already commited a lot of the project to this re-assigned texture set, so it'd be hard to adapt it if we were to use an alternative pack.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 08:18:48 am by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 12, 2013, 08:40:09 am »

I'll add it to the list and start getting a better place for discussion going.

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but isn't the texture pack entirely client side so it would be up to player what they use. So I guess it would be weird that they saw wood, but that's up to them, we could have a recommended pack I suppose and notify people on the forum and in the MOTD.
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3963 on: May 12, 2013, 08:53:26 am »

Yes the concern is mostly on weirdness for other people visiting it.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!
« Reply #3964 on: May 12, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »

Nobody will use a forum set up for this server. Nobody did last time, when we used PTTG's forum (I still get emails about spambots trying to register every now and then).

I observed a problem on a server with a similar setup; I forget which. Anyway, the problem was that the admins let people claim space far too easily, with the result being a very cluttered skyline and world, a bunch of these shitty "theme parks" made from glowstone and cobble with no theme to it and broken rides of minimal amusement, areas where people seem to have just run wild with coloured wool in an attempt to produce a Minecraft Jackson Pollock work (didn't succeed, obviously) and swathes of land which were empty but claimed anyhow and were impassable.

So there really should be some kind of initial restriction on what you can do unless you can make a good pitch.

While we're at it, the Voxel Box seems like a good role model. Some of the things they do won't work here because we'll have 8 players tops, but their plugins look amazing. VoxelMore, VoxelGuest, VoxelMimic and VoxelTimer all seem very useful for a server like this. VoxelPort 2 might also be useful.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 12, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »

Fine, makes my life easier.

I think initial restrictions are a good idea. I had a quick look at the plugins, with all of these is WorldEdit really required too? I don't want to go over the top with them as they will slow down the server. I mean if we use VoxelGuest do we really need commandbook? etc. I'd rather not overlap them too much functionality wise.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:35:42 pm by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3966 on: May 12, 2013, 06:16:26 pm »

Worldedit is very handy for several functions, not using it would be difficult. Just check if the voxel box stuff is updated (might need to use the beta builds).
I agree with LNCP, a forum thread here might suffice, unless we start growing a lot (what I doubt), and equally, copying the voxelbox server model is a good idea, those guys know their shit.
A permissions system can allow for guests to visit the server but be unable to interact with anything. AFAIK such plugins are very secure, a lot of big servers allow non-whitelisted people to prance around, fly and such to travel around.
When can we expect the server to be up? I wanna build! :p
(if you need help setting it up drop me a PM)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:07:45 pm by Djohaal »

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 14, 2013, 03:46:26 pm »

Hey, Sorry for the delay, been at work all day. Xcode is fucking up my life :/ I'm setting it up right now, hopefully be done tonight.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:00 pm »

Ok so I have WorldEdit and WorldGuard installed so far and I've configured Edit, however Guard has a shit ton of options. Does anyone have some ideas of what we should enable? I was thinking of leaving it default except:

* Disable TNT
* Disable fire spreading and lava causing fire
* Disable Endermen griefing
* Stopping creepers damaging terrain but not players
* Stop fireballs damaging terrain, same for withers
* Disabling trampling of crops
* Enabling teleport when you fall into void space
* Disabling damage from falling, drowning, suffocation

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3969 on: May 14, 2013, 06:32:38 pm »

Ok so I have WorldEdit and WorldGuard installed so far and I've configured Edit, however Guard has a shit ton of options. Does anyone have some ideas of what we should enable? I was thinking of leaving it default except:

* Disable TNT
* Disable fire spreading and lava causing fire
* Disable Endermen griefing
* Stopping creepers damaging terrain but not players
* Stop fireballs damaging terrain, same for withers
* Disabling trampling of crops
* Enabling teleport when you fall into void space
* Disabling damage from falling, drowning, suffocation

I think that is quite a good setup. Should avoid my junglewood-lightstone from catching fire  :P

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 14, 2013, 06:40:07 pm »

VoxelGuest doesn't seem to be compatible atm, so I'll leave it for now. I'm just installing Sniper, Mimic and More then we should be good I think. I have the server setup to use a max of 3GB RAM and also a 512MB RAM Disk so it should hopefully be pretty responsive. According to random googling in theory that should be able to support 20-30 players so we should be good.

Edit: Are you going to rebuild it, or do you want me to see if we can use the map?

I don't think I can restrict usage of Mimic and More without Guest, which could be annoying.

Also Might install this sometime: http://overviewer.org/
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:54:28 pm by sizeak »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #3971 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:10 pm »

VoxelGuest doesn't seem to be compatible atm, so I'll leave it for now. I'm just installing Sniper, Mimic and More then we should be good I think. I have the server setup to use a max of 3GB RAM and also a 512MB RAM Disk so it should hopefully be pretty responsive. According to random googling in theory that should be able to support 20-30 players so we should be good.

Edit: Are you going to rebuild it, or do you want me to see if we can use the map?

I don't think I can restrict usage of Mimic and More without Guest, which could be annoying.

Also Might install this sometime: http://overviewer.org/

It is just a collection of chunks that make part of an island. It can be stiched into any peice of ocean without much fuss. the map the project sits in atm is a bit messed up from me learning worldedit (gotta find the reset chunk command :P) . The .schemaic file which can be imported via MCedit is just a few kilobytes, and I think worldedit supports importing schematics if you give it a proper path to look at.

Also, tadpoles.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:51 pm »

The server supports prompting clients to download a texture pack if you want to use yours (assuming I like it :P). If so link me the zip :)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 14, 2013, 07:43:25 pm »

Post usernames for initial white-list

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 14, 2013, 08:20:05 pm »

Never played around with this sort of mods/plugins, so this will be a good setup to test them around.

Username: Maunoir
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:24:40 pm by Meta »
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 271