No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357877 times)

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Whitelist updated
« Reply #2625 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »

I'd like to put my name forward for Project participation. I don't have any particular qualifications, except that I've built the hut and dock over at the public server. Still, if you think you might be able to use me, there I am.
I think we're on suspension pending an official resolution to Incident #372, or just considered too new to take a chance on on the project server
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

bobusdoleus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: April 22, 2011, 08:20:05 pm »

Hey, like I said, no qualifications to speak of. Just saying I's willing if people'll have me is all. If not that's fine too; I have a sandbox server to play on.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: April 22, 2011, 09:25:08 pm »

Is there a bug with the whitelist? I'm listed as on there but the server doesn't.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the red square in logical2u's post, it may not be quite so visible due to the isometry, but there is a very nice terrain feature to the west of it; I've circled it in red. It's basically a sheltered bay with low cliffs on 2 sides, a tall cliff to the north, and open to the ocean to the south; it's ideal as such for a port or similar. Or alternatively as a protected central district (say, the site for a palace) within the greater city.

If we work to make this already awesome terrain feature as a focal point of the city, I personally think the rest of the city would fall nicely into the region marked in yellow.
It has a number of distinct districts; the region to the SW is on a low hill, with amazing ocean views, the natural location for the upper class residential district.
We can site the palace in the central crater, on that spit of land, giving us a keep surrounded on 3 sides by water; good views and defensible.
NE is rolling hills, perfect for the majority of the population; so here we would have general housing and much of our civic buildings.
Finally, along the southeastern edge, we have a couple of islands; If we ran a wall all along the South, connecting those islands, we could leave a deep water channel coming in from the east, and have rowdy portside districts (so think lots of bars and docks) along the waters edge on either side of the harbour.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, any ideas/comments?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: April 22, 2011, 09:37:52 pm »

I think that bay is awesome, but too shallow. work should be done to deepen it.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:35 pm »

I think that bay is awesome, but too shallow. work should be done to deepen it.
volunteering for manual labor

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: April 23, 2011, 06:47:14 am »

We can site the palace in the central crater, on that spit of land, giving us a keep surrounded on 3 sides by water; good views and defensible.

Rule #1 of Fortifications: Station them on the high ground.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2632 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:32 pm »

Rule #1 of Fortifications: Station them on the high ground.

Yeah, that cnetral spit of land would be a good place for a keep if it wasn't flat and at sea level. Personally, I think the cliff to the north of that little bay is best suited to the placement of a fortress and the pit of land can either be dredged out or made into the warehouse district.

Also, is it just me, or does that entire area seem a little small for what we are wanting to do?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: April 23, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »

Might as well post it here; this is by no means a final plan, merely the most recent idea LN and myself have been bandying about. Please post suggestions and criticisms, this is after all a democratic endeavour.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

White is a keep
Black is walls and towers,
Yellow is a port district
Red is main residential
Teal is temple/town hall/ civic buildings
Brown is slums
Dark blue is a different residential district, say wealthy district
Pink is a lighthouse (all the island its on that isnt covered by pink will probably be trimmed down and turned into shipping canals.

NOTE: this is not intended to be a final representation of the city, merely the most recent discussed layout. OJ takes no responsibility for misinterpretation or wangst over this diagram. :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: April 23, 2011, 06:21:29 pm »

I appear to be on the whitelist in the OP, but when I try to log in, I get a message saying I'm not.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: April 23, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »

I appear to be on the whitelist in the OP, but when I try to log in, I get a message saying I'm not.
Same

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: April 24, 2011, 12:20:18 am »

What is that giant cobble bridge thing at the mining camp?  :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:23:09 am by Osmosis Jones »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: April 24, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

a giant cobble bridge

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: April 24, 2011, 01:31:35 am »

Yes, but what is it supposed to be for? Railways will be subways, the point to which its bridging is the single hilliest part of the continent, so there won't be any major roads through there, and it's solid cobblestone. Not even any smoothstone highlights. It's like a thousand interior designers suddenly cried out in pain, and were silenced (/jks)

Nah, in all seriousness though, until we have a city plan finalised and agreed upon by the people (which means commenting on presented options people, and presenting your own ones; we have maps of the surrounding terrain, sketch out your ideal layouts and argue for them. If no one else says anything, the project will be wholely decided by whoever opens their mouth first), there's not much point making any large structures, as they will likely just connect to nothing. That just leads to a bland jumble of buildings with no unifying theme. The point of this server is to make a planned, believable city, which involves more than just tacking whatever we feel like wherever we want.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2639 on: April 24, 2011, 01:48:53 am »

Ah, that's mine. I'm building it between the proposed project site, the mining camp, and spawn. It's intended as a temporary construct so that we can go between those three places without getting mobbed or otherwise injured. I'm heading toward the small island it's currently pointed at - and who's to say we can't make tunnels through the hills?
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 271