No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 357937 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Whitelist updated
« Reply #2550 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:24 pm »

Whatever is decided, I would motion that the group building area be (at least somewhat) well defined. This forces a modicum of cooperation and building-to-a-theme, and also prevents rampant spread without real development. It also ensures that - with enough people or equipment - virgin land is not too far away. I find myself particularly attracted to PTTG's suggeston of
Perhaps this: it must be built in a very limited area- a natural island or something- and as it expands, it must grow upwards and dig underground. Light wells and high-level bridges would be a significant part of the architecture.
Such an idea would also lend itself to cart catapult systems - both vertical and horizontal - as well as pre-emptive transit planning.

Obviously the area of building shouldn't be too small, or otherwise people will run out of room. Likewise if it is too big you might end up with a lot of distinct 'suburbs' which, while neat, would make the transit system perhaps too costly. Judging the area of construction will probably require careful consideration of the number of interested players and an estimate of typical building sizes by previous and/or current builders.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2551 on: April 18, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:51:21 pm by Stany »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

Well, since nobody seems to know this, FYI: The new, proposed project will be on a wholly separate map on a wholly separate "server", much like Eternal Darkness. It will also have a separate, stricter whitelist so as to only allow proven builders to guarantee good workmanship and quality.

Honestly, I'm with Henge on this. I like Planehacked because it's vanilla, I don't want to have to mod my game to play on it, so I'm not at all unhappy with PTTG's ruling. That said, onto the rest of his post: I guess a new server would be okay, I'm not fussed either way. On the one hand, I've spent the last week or so on my own moria-esque excavation project, which I would like to finish. On the other, a new map does reinvigorate the playerbase, which is something we need.

As I said, there will be no new map. You can work on it however much you want. A new map, I suppose, would be nice though.

I do appreciate the vanilla-ness here, don't get me wrong. I know that many of our players have been pushing for a modded server, and Industrialcraft, so if we can satisfy them somehow then all the better.

I still want a non-OP playerlist thing, though.

*IF* we are going to do a centralised city or castle system, can I make one request? Let us plot out a basic road & rail system first, at least in the central city region. It goes a long way towards making the city look more like a real city, and means we can have a legitimate subway that doesn't crimp anyones mining.

Fair enough. Since it seems we're going for the renaissance-era city I'll start sketching out a rough map.

Also, if we end up going with a more technological city, how would people like cart catapaults? Riding in a minecart negates fall damage, and with the right design, they can be flung through the air in precise arcs with pistons. As such, railway networks could actually consist mostly of empty air.

A modern-type city is out of the question now, but yes a catapult system would be very nice. What are their ranges?

If anyone here's read Discworld, we can always go for something like Ankh-Morpork, which is late medieval with some (well, several) anachronisms. How does that sound?

I think we should also try to focus on building vertically rather than laterally, that way we can have something that really does resemble a built up urban city rather than a huge sprawl of flat roofs. Compare New York, in particular Manhattan Island, to London. In New York, with less land area, they built up. In London they just built out. As a result, London for the most part just looks like a grey slab.

Mm, a vertically planned city would be interesting.

I disagree on the London part, though.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2553 on: April 18, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:50:00 pm by Stany »

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: April 18, 2011, 05:35:28 pm »

I have updated the whitelist and backed up the worlds. If you need help with logging in this week, contact ShadowsOfWhite. I'll be back Saturday.

I check my messages daily, but remember that all restricions apply.  Read the OP, people.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 18, 2011, 06:34:01 pm »

Well, since nobody seems to know this, FYI: The new, proposed project will be on a wholly separate map on a wholly separate "server", much like Eternal Darkness. It will also have a separate, stricter whitelist so as to only allow proven builders to guarantee good workmanship and quality.

So am I good enough to participate?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 18, 2011, 06:36:00 pm »

So am I good enough to participate?

Who are you?

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 18, 2011, 06:53:58 pm »

Quote from: lordnincompoop link=topic=62600.msg2201120#msg2201120 date=13031697
Who [i
are[/i] you?

I'm ThatNinjaGuy, want pictures of some of the stuff I've built?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

Oh, I see. Sorry, don't really know peeps' B12 names.

It'd be nice, but not really necessary. You're def. good enough.  :)

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:19 pm »

Oh, I see. Sorry, don't really know peeps' B12 names.

It'd be nice, but not really necessary. You're def. good enough.  :)

Might as well show of the kind of stuff I can build.

Here's the tower and fountain I built in port Royal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The prototype house I built.

And here is my actual home.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 18, 2011, 07:33:10 pm »

EDITED - Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:14:57 pm by Nighthawk »

Freak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 18, 2011, 07:35:07 pm »

I suggest you delete that post and read the op, nighthawk, and do it fast.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:24 pm »

Ohhh no...
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 18, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »

Honestly, I'm with Henge on this. I like Planehacked because it's vanilla, I don't want to have to mod my game to play on it, so I'm not at all unhappy with PTTG's ruling. That said, onto the rest of his post: I guess a new server would be okay, I'm not fussed either way. On the one hand, I've spent the last week or so on my own moria-esque excavation project, which I would like to finish. On the other, a new map does reinvigorate the playerbase, which is something we need.

As I said, there will be no new map. You can work on it however much you want. A new map, I suppose, would be nice though.

I was going by this post of PTTG's.

When I do get back, I'll set up the new project server and I will switch the main world to a more open, public world.

*IF* we are going to do a centralised city or castle system, can I make one request? Let us plot out a basic road & rail system first, at least in the central city region. It goes a long way towards making the city look more like a real city, and means we can have a legitimate subway that doesn't crimp anyones mining.

Fair enough. Since it seems we're going for the renaissance-era city I'll start sketching out a rough map.

Awesome. Though, that being said, fair warning; to make the city actually a meaningful construction it will need to be big... as in at least 3-400 block radius. Obviously, drawing complete plans for that would be folly, so work on the rough outline and arterial roads mainly I guess.

Also, if we're also in the planning stages, how does a giant underground resevoir sound? For inspiration I direct you toward the Basillica Cistern under Istanbul.
Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)
Also, if we end up going with a more technological city, how would people like cart catapaults? Riding in a minecart negates fall damage, and with the right design, they can be flung through the air in precise arcs with pistons. As such, railway networks could actually consist mostly of empty air.

A modern-type city is out of the question now, but yes a catapult system would be very nice. What are their ranges?

I can't promise they will be the same as the current piston mod, but if they are, we're looking at about a 20-30 block horizontal range per catapault. The primary attraction of Piston'paults as I can see it would be link up taller towers. So let's say our city has a central keep that consists of a mass of tall fairytale towers; this would be a viable means of getting between them sans skybridges. For prolonged horizontal travel though, it's really more efficient to use simple boosted rail lines.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 19, 2011, 12:28:59 am »

one of grand central's platforms is out of order, bob-something or other went down into maintenance for whatever reason and messed something up, cart delivery and propulsion were screwed up, but I managed to fix cart delivery.(sloppily, probably want a better looking fix down there at some point)
Sorry about the whole mess,
Scaraban
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 271