No + Keep existing work
- 11 (20.4%)
Yes + new content in project world
- 29 (53.7%)
Don't care + Ambivalience
- 14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 271

Author Topic: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Post-Planehacked Planning Party!  (Read 358435 times)

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: Regular Flavor!
« Reply #1560 on: January 11, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »

I probably should have thought a bit harder before building it... lesson learned. Night
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 12, 2011, 04:59:10 pm »

Subways, yes, hell yes, hell fucking yes:
Lets build us some subways.
Sure, they require more coordination than ground/sky-based rail systems.
But they are also out of the way, sort of, and more thematically appropriate (minecraft-wise).

So.

First things first: Who/where needs/wants a station? Wannahidefromcreepers needs one, obviously, and I could fit one under my town. And a bunch of other places, I guess?
Seconds things second: what kind of subway should we build; how deep, how many tracks, complicated redstone destination selection or a track for each destination (with wannahide being the central station)? Personally, I can barely build a working booster, and my redstone skills are weak, so I would go for something pretty simple... but maybe other people feel more confident?
Third things fourth third: who would be willing to donate digging power/resources/planning time to the Planehacked-Map-Wide-Subway-System?
Long Live United Forenia!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 12, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »

For the track selection at least, I have a nice compact modular selection design I copied from a thread over on minecraftforum.net. It's 3x5x7 IIRC, uses buttons with a rolling reset feature, and is relatively easy to construct, provided you don't miss a redstone torch at some point.

That said, do we know for sure redstone and minecarts are fixed for SMP yet? The last I'd heard, minecarts were still horribly buggy, and redstone still operated under slightly different rules in SMP to SP, enough that most traditional RS-NOR latch designs were busted.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1563 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:16 pm »

I built a couple of simple boosters, both of which worked at least once.

I don't know about redstone, though.

My assumption would be a two-lane, circulating track- that is, carts are constantly in motion and it's just a loop between two stations and any stops on the way.

Since tracks are so expensive, ops can provide it as needed.

As for where to build it, there are some cases where it would look neat on the surface or even crossing valleys and lakes. Most of the time, though, it should definitely be deep enough to clear the ocean and avoid interfering with other constructions... while above the level where slimes alegedly appear, since those apparently ignore light levels.

Speaking of mobs, constructors should totally make use of caves, and use light and/or glass to protect travelers from the inhabitants.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 12, 2011, 06:06:06 pm »

I'd definitely be interested since I started building a floating version (which was dismantled) and my next plan was subterranean. Some kind of plan/design would be good.

My assumption would be a two-lane, circulating track- that is, carts are constantly in motion and it's just a loop between two stations and any stops on the way.

Since tracks are so expensive, ops can provide it as needed.

a) I agree, b) so I'm allowed to spawn track? (was going to have to start an iron mine otherwise after last night)
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 12, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

Gah can't login

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 12, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »

Is it ok if I spawn minecrat track as long as I don't build anything ridiculous? I'm building a track on the ground from spawn to my mine for when I die and I intend to spawn the track and make glass in a furnace (not spawning anything) to cover the track with a glass tunnel to protect from critters. Is that ok? I will also help work on the underground when it starts, track will be spawned then too?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:14:03 pm by MC Dirty »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 13, 2011, 12:41:07 am »

The minecraft central server went down, not ours.

I guess Notch had to switch banks after filling the first one up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:42:03 am by PTTG?? »

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: January 13, 2011, 11:04:47 am »

I don't know if anyone here is a part of the Gamers With Jobs server but the minecart stations they use seem to work quite well. Features include automatic dispenser and boosters.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 13, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

I'm updating and backing up the server now.

Are there any new blocks? I want to keep this map. I guess we'll just have to walk to the ungenerated areas.

I was actually clicking refresh madly on the blog, gave up, looked at the server log, and saw that people where trying to log in and failing, then refreshed and Lols it was there.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneHacked Minecraft Server: UPGRADE COMPLETE!
« Reply #1571 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

And we're back.

IP is still 71.197.77.6.
We're going to call this the address for now. We are running the current server. We should have the same map, and it's been backed up.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »

There are indeed new blocks. But because of Notchgen code the new blocks won't generate unless he changed that too. So we'll have the same stuff as before.

As always, it's your call.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 13, 2011, 05:33:37 pm »

They should be present in any sectors explored since the update. Is that not the case?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:51 pm »

That is the case, as I've come across lapis after setting out and digging down.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 271