Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elven Espionage  (Read 1784 times)

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elven Espionage
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:43:56 pm »

A few years back in my game, every caravan that ventured to my fort was slaughtered by goblin ambushers as my military was ill-equipped at the time to handle such a situation.  My liaison was one of the dead.  So, approximately two years elapsed, at which point a diplomat arrives at my fort claiming to be from the mountainhome.  I read it with some disinterest, but something was funny, the text was green instead of blue! And then I noticed that he was an elf as well! Not only that, but he had arrived during the summer, before the human caravan had even made it to my fortress.  Clearly this is an elven spy, sent to sow discord amongst the populace, I assume I should have him tossed into the newly dug out magma moat.
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elven Espionage
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:51:49 am »

Hmm, i think i like this explaination more than the mundane 'yeah, its a bug' one.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:29:44 pm »

its a bug, but toss him into the magma!

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »

While it could be an elven spy, you know, to find a weakness in your fortress' defense so the ambushers can slaughter your dwarves as well, it may just be that the dwarves enslaved the elf and decided to replace the diplomat with him/her. Being a diplomat seems to be the only job that has a death rate on par with mining, it would be understandable that the dwarves didn't want to lose one more of their own to an ambush.

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »

Elf: it's a ~METAL GEAR~!
trader: yeah, we have several of those. one is even made from adamantine.

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:43:24 pm »

Well, it turned out that it was indeed an elven diplomat, there to negotiate the acceptable limits of tree murder, but I swear he still said greetings from the mountainhome when he arrived, should have taken a screen of it
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:04:02 pm »

Well, it turned out that it was indeed an elven diplomat, there to negotiate the acceptable limits of tree murder, but I swear he still said greetings from the mountainhome when he arrived, should have taken a screen of it

perhaps the elves, even while being slaves to your civ, will do elvenly things and demand tree-cutting be stopped. Or worse, they've changed your civ in some way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:36:27 pm »

Or, you know, Toady accidentally made all diplomats use the dwarven liaison's greeting/farewell (Hint: It's this.)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »

Or, you know, Toady accidentally made all diplomats use the dwarven liaison's greeting/farewell (Hint: It's this.)
I'm inclined to go with this, especially since my (definitely Elven) diplomat just said exactly the same.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

Here we have another potential cacame.