Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fort... Won't... Die....  (Read 4389 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort... Won't... Die....
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

If you have at least one mining pick available and the surviving dwarves aren't already all crippled, you should be able to kill yourselves with a tiny bit of effort. Dig out an unsupported tile. If you have no picks, have dwarves repeatedly build a constructed floor adjecent to a grate near any surviving dwarves, and collapses will take care of business for you.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

Wow, I cant belive some one else actually takes the time to make "flavor forts" as i do!
flavor is a nice name for them! hah
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 06:51:33 pm »

Looks like it's time to send in the clowns.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:58 pm »

Open the clown car/college. At least that way you get a very nice bluemetal weapon.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 07:06:10 pm »

just strike adamantine.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:44 pm »

Lignite block inside a magmaproof bin + magma = eternal flame.
eternal flame + meeting hall = death of a fortress.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:26 pm »

Striking adamantine was already ruled out.

Anyway, the solution is simple. Dwarves are contrary creatures, so trying to kill them isn't going to work. Get emotionally invested in them and try to keep them alive. They'll die soon enough.

The other option would be to drive up your fort's wealth as quickly as possible. A good siege ought to do the trick and might make the site more interesting for your adventurer. Leave a few trinkets outside and kobold ambush parties will show up soon enough as well.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 07:39:42 pm »

Unfortunately for your correct/incorrect ratio; burning lignite isn't actually an eternal flame, It just takes a really really long time, several months actually. It'll kill them for sure though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

Every time I've used burning lignite, it's killed many, many dwarves. The hardships that ensue usually kill the fortress fast enough that the damn things may as well be eternally burning.
Good to know that they die eventually, though.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 08:01:11 pm »

Dig a very deep pit, 20 tiles by 20 tiles across, and cover it with four retractable bridges. Fill the bottom with magma, water, repeating spikes, feral cave ogres, or some combination of those things. Find a way to get your entire population on top of the bridges when they all open.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »

They finally died; a giant rat drank over a hundred units of booze, and they all died of dehydration.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 09:12:47 pm »

Well, that rat must sure be proud of itself.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 10:53:03 pm »

Unfortunately for your correct/incorrect ratio; burning lignite isn't actually an eternal flame, It just takes a really really long time, several months actually. It'll kill them for sure though.

yes but an object thats on fire in a container burns forever just normal lignite does eventualy destroy itself but a magma proof bin prevents it from doing anthing but burn (you can even drain oceans with it) it an exploit from a while back
may your lċnem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »

Well, that rat must sure be proud of itself.

The rat is not a dwarf, it'll die from alcohol poisoning.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »

My 15 year old fort is pretty stubborn, but various things have whittled away at it.
1) Military trained purely individually for the longest time, and thus half of them suck at armor, shield, and general dodging skills.
2) Almost everything in my fort is dizzy, including the animals. Especially the animals. Oh, and the military. Some FB came by some time ago and threw up a cloud of "deadly" dust. Everything nearby got dizzy, and now it has spread to the rest of the fort.
3) Many, many children forcing me to pop cap, and preventing me from replacing military deaths.

My military is approximately 17 able-bodied dizzy dwarves of an original 50 now. I have the feeling it may not last much longer.

To add to the ambiance there's piles of goblin/troll skeletons at my entrance, dead animals laying around, and a war bear dragging its guts around.
Funny enough, this fort is effectively immune to a tantrum spiral. Virtually nobody is friends with anyone and I honestly can't figure out why.

So give it time. Sometimes, events will align just right to make your fort struggle.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:42:22 pm by Lightning4 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3