Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fort... Won't... Die....  (Read 4394 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fort... Won't... Die....
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »

So, I've been playing bunches of little "flavor" forts in the same world- just intended to add some interesting ruins for adventurer mode, maybe see them turn up in engravings. At least, that was the plan.

The first fort was just supposed to be a little ruined lighthouse with access to the cavern layers. I figured I'd build as high as I could before my dwarves died, as I'm playing this one *very* poorly.

They won't die.

I've breached all cavern layers, with no war dogs, no military, and no traps except for two "Upright Spears"  in my main hallway, linked to a lever, which I have being pulled constantly. I've been attacked by crundles, elk birds, giant rats, giant olms, a blind cave ogre and a giant cave spider. My miners killed them. One of my dwarves became a legendary fighter. One of my miners just named her pick, after she killed the gremlin that showed up to help my dwarves pull the spear lever.

My population has actually gone *up*.

Seriously, these are some stubborn ass dwarves.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fort... Won't... Die....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:43:17 pm »

Magma is the answer to all problems.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

I know how you feel here. I've been waiting for one fort of mine to die so I can explore it in adventure mode, but the little guys just REFUSE to succumb to the goblin-ambushes-that-are-more-like-a-real-siege. I guess I made their defenses a little *too* impenetrable.

EDIT: I advise you to build a drowning chamber with the activation lever inside. Draft all but one of your dwarves and station them in the chamber, then have the only non-military dwarf pull the lever. In a short amount of time they'll all be nothing but waterlogged corpses stinking up a forgotten chamber.

EDIT AGAIN: Did you really just ninja my edit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:49:03 pm by Organum »
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »

See, I *could* kill them all off with something like a drowning room, but that would really just feel like a slower way of abandoning the fort. I want to *lose*
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:48:41 pm »

Goblins? FB?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:51:07 pm »

It's too isolated a map to get goblins, I think. I'm hoping for a good FB, but I haven't seen one yet.

Plus, my damn miner will probably just kill it...

Edit: Ooh. Progress. A giant rat just ran up and drank over a hundred units of booze.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:54:41 pm by FreakyCheeseMan »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:16 pm »

I abandoned one fort in 40d, simply tried to lock everyone in the food stockpiles and drown them. I didn't work, there was a hole the water escaped through to the chasm as quickly as it flooded in, so they all died of starvation several months later. One fisherdwarf survived the famine and tantrum spiral, and I figured what the hell, I'll make it a hermitage. He was then promptly slaughtered by a goblin swordsman ambush, in the farms. They just walked up behind him.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »

Ok, this is just silly. I have a meeting area designated on top of a hallway full of upright spikes, with the "Pull Lever" set to repeat. It killed the dogs, but my dwarves just keep coming back for more.

Did I get an entire fortressed of Urist McNorrises or something?

Scrippy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 02:02:58 pm »

I say have your miners dig forever deeper. That'll show em'.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:04:49 pm »

Eh, I want to leave interesting ruins for adventurers to explore, not an instant-death beach.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »

Eh, I want to leave interesting ruins for adventurers to explore, not an instant-death beach.
WAIT, theres a difference?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 02:32:48 pm »

If you're not opposed to modding, 30 seconds with an [AQUATIC] tag will do wonders  :P
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 02:38:10 pm »

Did I get an entire fortressed of Urist McNorrises or something?

You called?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »

It's the Nist Akath effect.  You throw impossible odds at your dwarves, most of them die, but the ones who don't become unstoppable badasses.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:23 pm »

It's the Nist Akath effect.  You throw impossible odds at your dwarves, most of them die, but the ones who don't become unstoppable badasses.

Will they be on fire as well?
Pages: [1] 2 3